Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Now that the playing season is nearly done, can anyone see any motions been put forward and approved re change to playing structures and possibly a decent league?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

And most certainly Brick was a fantastic servant and he’s a Waterford hurling legend, even if his hurling ability wasn’t in the same league as others.

I actually think that Brick's natural hurling ability gets played down an awful lot, you dont last 16 years and win an allstar as a centre back, midfielder and forward without having immense hurling ability. I think sometimes we mix up 'flashy' with ability and talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I actually think that Brick's natural hurling ability gets played down an awful lot, you dont last 16 years and win an allstar as a centre back, midfielder and forward without having immense hurling ability. I think sometimes we mix up 'flashy' with ability and talent.

Depends what constitutes 'hurling ability'.

Was he brilliant at reading the game, spacial awareness, determined and an immense athlete - yes to all of the above.

How many balls would he strike in an average game - maybe a couple!

Anyone who remembers Paddy Christie playing full back for the Dublin footballers a few years back will recall that he rarely kicked the ball - nearly always laid it off to a colleague via a hand pass. Was he a great full back - one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Stephen Bennett is available next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Stephen Bennett is available next year.

great news and hopefully comes into the Waterford after a good run in the club championships

Any news on players who have been dismissed other than Connors and Maurice ???. Tommy Ryan and Darragh Fives are gone too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭thesultan

There will be trial games for everyone called up in a month or so. It will determine the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

PTH2009 wrote: »

Any news on players who have been dismissed other than Connors and Maurice ???. Tommy Ryan and Darragh Fives are gone too

Were they cut or just opted out? Right call on Darragh Fives no matter who made that call. Too much effort and heartache for him to go through it again. Just wasn't meant to be.

I really feel that Tommy Ryan has underachieved as a Waterford hurler so disappointed to see him go but the show must go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Were they cut or just opted out? Right call on Darragh Fives no matter who made that call. Too much effort and heartache for him to go through it again. Just wasn't meant to be.

I really feel that Tommy Ryan has underachieved as a Waterford hurler so disappointed to see him go but the show must go on.

We should wait for confirmation from a reliable source before writing lads obituaries. The only 3 that are definitely gone for next year are Shanahan, Connors and Brick.

Should have the league fixtures out this week or next I imagine with the Season ticket sales opening up

A decision on Walsh Park needs to be made. Do they rest the money in an account and start work after the Championship games next summer or do they start work immediately and have a good bit of it done in time for the games ??

AFAIK we only have 2 games at home in the league

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Should have the league fixtures out this week or next I imagine with the Season ticket sales opening up

A decision on Walsh Park needs to be made. Do they rest the money in an account and start work after the Championship games next summer or do they start work immediately and have a good bit of it done in time for the games ??

AFAIK we only have 2 games at home in the league

They'll play games in Walsh Park, they're unlikely to get everything tee'd up before the league.

If they bulldoze the place in June they can play league games in Fraher next season without too much hassle. It'll be 12 months again until Championship games return, and those will involve Clare and Limerick who'll bring smaller travelling fans than Cork and Tipp - so they could potentially play with a partially completed Walsh Park.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    They'll play games in Walsh Park, they're unlikely to get everything tee'd up before the league.

If they bulldoze the place in June they can play league games in Fraher next season without too much hassle. It'll be 12 months again until Championship games return, and those will involve Clare and Limerick who'll bring smaller travelling fans than Cork and Tipp - so they could potentially play with a partially completed Walsh Park.

2020 is the last year of the round robin before it's up for review but reckon they will keep it

thesultan wrote: »
    There will be trial games for everyone called up in a month or so. It will determine the panel.

Will the guys still in club action be included in these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Why not just play them all in Fraher Field?

deisedevil wrote: »
    Why not just play them all in Fraher Field?

Loss of revenue number one.

Secondly, Cork and Tipp have huge support bases and will likely have large numbers of season ticket holders.

In a scenario where Fraher Field capacity is down around 6k for arguments sake, there is a strong chance that there would be more visiting fans than Waterford fans in the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Dessie Hutch interview from Off The Ball Newstalk.

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/dessie-hutchinson-interview-917177

Seems like a very level headed young fella. Good interview. Hope everything works out for him.

Loss of revenue number one.

Secondly, Cork and Tipp have huge support bases and will likely have large numbers of season ticket holders.

In a scenario where Fraher Field capacity is down around 6k for arguments sake, there is a strong chance that there would be more visiting fans than Waterford fans in the venue.

Fraher field has a 12k capacity.

So wouldn't that be better than a half completed Walsh Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I stand open to correction but I think that the feasibility of Fraher to hold the Munster championship games was explored last year, along with Walsh Park and revamping both, and with current health and safety regulations the maximum capacity was revised to somewhere around 6000.

12k? There was 6k there for Munster final in 09 and you wouldn’t swing a cat. But given how Waterford supporters followed the team the past 2 years we wouldn’t need anything near 12k anyway

I stand open to correction but I think that the feasibility of Fraher to hold the Munster championship games was explored last year, along with Walsh Park and revamping both, and with current health and safety regulations the maximum capacity was revised to somewhere around 6000.

It's probably just 6k seated so?

I was going by this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Ireland_by_capacity

The wiki page for Fraher says 15k though. 😠So hard to know what's right then.

It's probably just 6k seated so?

I was going by this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Ireland_by_capacity

The wiki page for Fraher says 15k though. 😠So hard to know what's right then.

We can be sure that's incorrect.

As mentioned by others, health and safety will dictate how many people the ground can safely accommodate rather than the number that could possibly fit in.

Walsh Park is a bigger ground, has about 2k extra seating capacity and work done on it's terraces. Max capacity there was 11k for championship.

That U21 final in Fraher was about 6k attendance - which seems about the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

plus dungarvan is a kip! one of the worst facilities ever. anyone who has ever played there will tell you that. especially on county final day and everyone is cramped into dressing rooms and the water pressure in showers you would piss more yourself. keep it in Walsh Park, simple as! when walsh park is been done up go to a neutral venue. keep players out of the kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭upthedeise16

Gardner wrote: »
    plus dungarvan is a kip! one of the worst facilities ever. anyone who has ever played there will tell you that. especially on county final day and everyone is cramped into dressing rooms and the water pressure in showers you would piss more yourself. keep it in Walsh Park, simple as! when walsh park is been done up go to a neutral venue. keep players out of the kip.

Dungarvan has 6 dressing rooms, and the 2 new ones are a fine size with 10 perfect showers and a physio room off each. Walsh Park is far inferior in terms of dressing rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭tommylad1212

They have two new dressing rooms which are bigger than walsh park nothing wrong with facilities for players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

well **** me! i've kept away from the kip for the past 3 or so years so didn't know they had improved the dressing rooms. still though the money should have gone towards Walsh Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Did you just want to tell people you played in county finals there? Ya did didn't ya!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

well **** me! i've kept away from the kip for the past 3 or so years so didn't know they had improved the dressing rooms. still though the money should have gone towards Walsh Park.

New dressing rooms were finished about 6 or 7 years ago I think

Why should it have given Fraher Field is the most used ground in both codes in the County?

debok wrote: »
    Did you just want to tell people you played in county finals there? Ya did didn't ya!!!!!

He never saw the inside of a dressing room in his life more like

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lingoweet913

He never saw the inside of a dressing room in his life more like

Waterboy I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

no it shouldnt. Carriganore should be developed. End of story.

• Advertisement

no it shouldnt. Carriganore should be developed. End of story.

Can you point towards another successful out of town stadium in Ireland?

Redevelopment of existing urban sites seems to be the accepted norm across all sports in Ireland - presumably there is a good reason for this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement