Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Jesus Bailey is vermin, sure leo is looking after the people that get up in the morning.. Just the ones that get up to claim back hairdressers and coffees no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Got to love the Indo's introduction to MB 'Swing gate TD Maria Bailey' in their article about the fraudulent claims by Maria her Dail and Seanad colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

It seems that the refunded amounts only seem to be a small percentage of the overall spend (2.6%) and were based on accounting inaccuracies (claiming outside the period).

Anyway - good that we have a bit of transparency in the system and that mistakes like this are rectified.

Also the poster who suggested a system where you justify the spend first, then are given the money is totally impractical. It would cost far more to administer a system like that.

I’m going to give the benefit of doubt that you are genuine for a moment.
    A ‘Pay now and reclaim back later ‘ system is used in lots of public service and semi state for expenses and works perfectly fine.
    I worked for universities and other public sector, I paid and then could claim for certain things. If I didn’t have receipts or correct paperwork, guess what ,no expenses. Problems with inappropriate or exaggerated claims dry up very quickly with a pay first and claim back later system. And it doesn’t cost a penny or a minute more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Also the poster who suggested a system where you justify the spend first, then are given the money is totally impractical. It would cost far more to administer a system like that.

Except that's how it works in the real world, in any company I've worked in, including one of the biggest in the world. Either you get a quote, file a p.o.request form, get it signed by someone higher with authorization and submit the po, or claim it back on expenses. With a receipt.and authorization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Maria Bailey and Alan Farrell again. Why the **** did that other thread get shut down. The mod excuse was the weakest I have ever seen.

Credibility of the site has dropped a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Maria Bailey and Alan Farrell again. Why the **** did that other thread get shut down. The mod excuse was the weakest I have ever seen.

Credibility of the site has dropped a lot.

The tail wagging the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Try not to spend your time b1tching and moaning and whinging and this one might stay open lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Try not to spend your time b1tching and moaning and whinging and this one might stay open lads.

It will stay open if you and your buddies refrain from dragging it repeatedly off topic and making ad hominem attacks on other commentators instead of responding to the actual comments.
    Play fair, play nice wise words to live by.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That's over 25% non compliance from the 22 selected, the entire lot of them need to be audited, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And Leo only goes after SW fraudsters.
    Hypocrite of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

This is just depressing. How Farrell and Bailey are in the party I don't know. It must be very disappointing for the honest party folk like PintmanPaddy seeing this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Fann Linn wrote: »

He's a hypocrite but just not about that, he didn't do ****e to SW fraudsters in the end and he'll do the same against his own crowd now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's over 25% non compliance from the 22 selected, the entire lot of them need to be audited, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

45% non compliance by the FG members ;)

Remember what I said in the feedback thread losty?

Here, I'll just quote the last sentence, and you can tell me I was correct.
    Just because the thread is shut definitely doesn't mean the subject of discussion is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Seeing as the claims didn't pan out they needed free money from somewhere ;)

Bailey and Farrell A.K.A. Swings and roundabouts.

Unbelievable news. The absolute chancers. Have they no shame? What will Leo say now?

I wonder when the FG contingent will try and get this thread shut down ;)

Roll on General Election 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The question is did some of her expenses relate to her swing claim in terms of transport or phone calls, that really would be a double whammy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Farrell and Bailey at the top

Nobody would be shocked by this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I'd love to know what Lynn "influenced by Tupac Shakur" Ruane spent a grand on that she thought the public should pay for-it didn't take long for her to get her snout in the trough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

sabat wrote: »
    I'd love to know what Lynn "influenced by Tupac Shakur" Ruane spent a grand on that she thought the public should pay for-it didn't take long for her to get her snout in the trough.

Elected to the Seanad by Trinity Graduates - what more can you expect from such a rotten borough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

The only one that surprises me in that list of minor vermin is Jerry Buttimer - and in fairness, his disallowed claim is pretty small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Good old dodgy Alan Farrell his brass neck is holding up well along with slips and trips Bailey unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Fann Linn wrote: »

Fraud is fraud, it doesn't matter if it is social welfare, medical card fraud, third level grants, Revenue, Travel Expenses - it's all paid from the public purse and none of it should be tolerated.

However, I hope this is the end of Ms. Bailey and Mr. Farrell's political careers. If Leo doesn't get rid of them I sincerely hope their constituents do not return them to the Dail in the next election. I'll be fuming when FG call to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would it be ok when another TD is referring to either of them to use the term Crooked before their name as it has been proven they broke rules?

She's trending on Twitter again I see. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

However, I hope this is the end of Ms. Bailey and Mr. Farrell's political careers. If Leo doesn't get rid of them I sincerely hope their constituents do not return them to the Dail in the next election. I'll be fuming when FG call to the door.

Doubt it. Bailey may not be popular but she embodies 2020 Fine Gael. Rich privileged entitled and utterly disconnected from common folk. Half her social set (Kate O'Connell, Mary Newman-Julian and such) are all running for the Dail and look like they will be elected even though they are utterly devoid of empathy with the common person. It's like an extract from a Ross O'Carroll Kelly book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

touts wrote: »
    Doubt it. Bailey may not be popular but she embodies 2020 Fine Gael. Rich privileged entitled and utterly disconnected from common folk. Half her social set (Kate O'Connell, Mary Newman-Julian and such) are all running for the Dail and look like they will be elected even though they are utterly devoid of empathy with the common person. It's like an extract from a Ross O'Carroll Kelly book.

I couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

pablo128 wrote: »
    Ah it just gets better and better. We have glorified fraudsters running the country unhindered.
    In fairness, while I broadly agree with the sentiment of your post, surely a successful audit would constitute somewhat of a hindrance to the fraud...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Be right back

I wonder what they claimed the expenses for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Doc07 wrote: »
    I’m going to give the benefit of doubt that you are genuine for a moment.
    A ‘Pay now and reclaim back later ‘ system is used in lots of public service and semi state for expenses and works perfectly fine.
    I worked for universities and other public sector, I paid and then could claim for certain things. If I didn’t have receipts or correct paperwork, guess what ,no expenses. Problems with inappropriate or exaggerated claims dry up very quickly with a pay first and claim back later system. And it doesn’t cost a penny or a minute more.

All civil servants work on this system of claiming by the month for travel etc on a online system and has to checked and signed off by line management.
    Leo veruka will probably promote Maria now to get her re-elected and tell her well done for keeping the blue shirts in the spotlight and off himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

endacl wrote: »
    In fairness, while I broadly agree with the sentiment of your post, surely a successful audit would constitute somewhat of a hindrance to the fraud...?

By unhindered, I mean there are no real consequences for their actions. Other than giving back money that wasn't theirs in the first place.

Advertisement