Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Bob Harris wrote: »
    He looks a bit of a lightweight drinker. Couldn't even finish a glass of Guinness.

Probably absolutely black ribena with cream on top....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Have you seen the video going round of the 4 year old child being forced to drink Guinness and practise bare knuckle fighting?

Jaysus.

What hope do these kids have?

And what will decent folk do when the next generation of bosses come to power?
    Kids have no hope- wheres social services

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Suprised John connors hasnt come out publicly calling everyone a racist for everyones uproar on this lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

El_Bee wrote: »
    Travelers should have been forcibly settled in the period between the founding of the state and our joining of the EEC.
    Most of them have voluntarily settled into houses but still want to keep the Traveller tag to get all the freebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Just when you thought you seen it all with this crew a video like this comes along.Confirms even more they're the scum of the Earth and need to be wiped from the face of the planet.

they don't need to be wiped from the face of the earth and they won't be. you will need to get over that fact and keep the old fantasies to yourself.
    the video only proves that the father of the child is a scumbag, not the traveling community as a whole.
    I wonder what the views of Tubridy, Miriam O’Callaghan, Dr. Ciara Kelly and the rest of the media who stand up for Travellers and put down anyone with with an opposing view actually think of this video?
    My guess is that they’d turn a blind eye and totally ignore it’s existence as it wouldn’t suit their agenda.
    I’d love to see a family like this moving in next door to each of them.

perhapse you could get in contact with them and ask them, and let us know their response? no point in constantly asking what particular individuals think about something when they aren't going to come on here and answer.
    Travelers should have been forcibly settled in the period between the founding of the state and our joining of the EEC.

that would not have been possible. there are no methods which could have achieved this.
    travelers themselves going off the road which is actually happening slowly but surely is the best and only option.
    Has that mouth from pavee point come out to condemn the video?
    He surfaces when travellers feel even slightly offended but doubtful he'll want to talk about this.

he surfaces when there are genuine issues effecting the community which is what the organization he represents deals with. he has no specific need to comment on the video. in fact if he did, i'd reccan people would be complaining that he didn't say whatever specific thing they would want him to say. so given he probably couldn't win either way, then staying out of it is probably the best option.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Advertisement

they don't need to be wiped from the face of the earth and they won't be. you will need to get over that fact and keep the old fantasies to yourself.
    the video only proves that the father of the child is a scumbag, not the traveling community as a whole.

perhapse you could get in contact with them and ask them, and let us know their response? no point in constantly asking what particular individuals think about something when they aren't going to come on here and answer.

that would not have been possible. there are no methods which could have achieved this.
    travelers themselves going off the road which is actually happening slowly but surely is the best and only option.

he surfaces when there are genuine issues effecting the community which is what the organization he represents deals with. he has no specific need to comment on the video. in fact if he did, i'd reccan people would be complaining that he didn't say whatever specific thing they would want him to say. so given he probably couldn't win either way, then staying out of it is probably the best option.

The father has nearly 19,000 followers on Facebook. There are comments from other travellers all along the lines of “god bless him, he looks like you, lovely boy, etc”

He also claims that he is the successor to the King of the Travellers title and he does receive comments from other travellers endorsing this.

Pavee point should be involved as they are there to protect the rights of travellers. That child is a traveller and needs protecting.

Seriously, EOTR, think about pavee point and what they should be doing for this kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That isn’t a video isn’t a parent and child, it’s a man bullying and training an animal. Heartbreaking stuff.

The tide is turning…

That poor little fella is just a baby. He's being taught that being a man is drinking, forcing people to do things they won't in the same way he's just been to drink that, and being aggressive. You'd wonder if he was ever treated like most other four year olds and cuddled and minded or made feel secure and valued, or had any emotional needs acknowledged, let alone met. You raise a kid without an education and to disregard feelings and emotions and without stability or security and you raise a kid who's a danger to society.

People becoming parents at 16 without any concept of parenting or example to follow, little education, no life skills other than degrees of thuggery and exempting themselves and their kids from the mandatory level of education that the rest of society sees as the bare minimum, and a State that's keener on accommodating the needs that arise from that circle of abuse than it is to address the causes of the culture of lawlessness in some/most Traveller circles. Why would anyone think the outcome is likely to be anything other than disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

What I found most offensive was him being told to throw the cutlery on the floor
    though you have to admire the traveller 'I don't give a fuck attitude'.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

With regrads to a travellers lifestyle or attitute, there's nothing, absolutely nothing to admire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

What I found most offensive was him being told to throw the cutlery on the floor

Theres not one thing I admire about them. Pity maybe. Poor little fella being brought up to think drinking fighting and stealing are normal ways of life. Imagine his wife later in life if hes told hes the 'boss' and the 'hulk' now.

The lack of manners portrayed in the video made me sick 'nevermind that throw that on the floor.. Get up on the table', what the hell is wrong with these people!?

I remember my grandmother had an old traveller woman call to the house years and years ago begging for some clothes for the children (i think they are known for robbing clothes banks etc)

My granny went upstairs to find clothes like christening outfits etc babygrows and gave them to the woman.

When the woman left with the clothes my granny realised the woman took her purse with her!

Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Theres not one thing I admire about them. Pity maybe. Poor little fella being brought up to think drinking fighting and stealing are normal ways of life. Imagine his wife later in life if hes told hes the 'boss' and the 'hulk' now.

The lack of manners portrayed in the video made me sick 'nevermind that throw that on the floor.. Get up on the table', what the hell is wrong with these people!?

I remember my grandmother had an old traveller woman call to the house years and years ago begging for some clothes for the children (i think they are known for robbing clothes banks etc)

My granny went upstairs to find clothes like christening outfits etc babygrows and gave them to the woman.

When the woman left with the clothes my granny realised the woman took her purse with her!

Unbelievable

Not in the slightest...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Have any of you keyboard warriors actually contacted Tulsa???

Shouldn’t you be over in work forum sneering and looking down your nose at posters that ask for help?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

One gob****e gives his child Guinness and it's John Connors fault
    What about smack babies born addicted the heroin to settled people every day in Ireland.do they represent all us normal people in the non traveler community?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

What about smack babies born addicted the heroin to settled people every day in Ireland.do they represent all us normal people in the non traveler community?

I've never seen anyone celebrate it on youtube/ facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What about

;-)

The father has nearly 19,000 followers on Facebook. There are comments from other travellers all along the lines of “god bless him, he looks like you, lovely boy, etc”

He also claims that he is the successor to the King of the Travellers title and he does receive comments from other travellers endorsing this.

Pavee point should be involved as they are there to protect the rights of travellers. That child is a traveller and needs protecting.

Seriously, EOTR, think about pavee point and what they should be doing for this kid.

i'm not sure we can say for definite that pavee point are or aren't involved. it's probably not something they would make public either way.
    it does go without saying that there are already processes in place to deal with issues such as that contained within the video and anyone can raise a concern with the relevant authorities who have an obligation to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

JaCrispy wrote: »
    With regrads to a travellers lifestyle or attitute, there's nothing, absolutely nothing to admire.

Ah there is though. Most people on here are fairly responsible. They work, pay their bills, look after their family and generally don't break the law. Travellers don't give a shit and aren't subject to the same inhibitions that the rest of us are. There has to be something liberating about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sounds like child abuse (and it more than likely is) to me

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭garyscargo

snickers wrote: »
    I’m shocked that his father actually cleaned up the spilled guinness .

Well, you wouldn't want anyone to "slip" on it now, would you? *ahem* :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I wouldn't admire it too much. Seems to lead to high rates of suicide, drug abuses and depression. Ya might bate any man alive, but ya can't bate your own emotional pain. Takes real strength to face that head on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

How many hours of well paid work from garda overtime to the legal profession by way of defense lawyers, to various QUANGO roles would be lost were it not for travellers?

It's an industry which plenty do well out of

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

A lot of criticism on here but some day that young chap will grow up to be champion of the world.

Or at least Longford Town

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I don't see any settled people putting videos of that up on their Facebook, youtube and sharing video pages and being met with universally positive comments.

Smack heads are the lowest people in the settled community and their life is not celebrated.
    Big Joe Joyce Jr is pretty much the most revered Irish traveller amongst his peers and highly respected.

There's no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

i'm not sure we can say for definite that pavee point are or aren't involved. it's probably not something they would make public either way.
    it does go without saying that there are already processes in place to deal with issues such as that contained within the video and anyone can raise a concern with the relevant authorities who have an obligation to investigate.

They’d just say it’s someone else’s fault. It’s what they always say. They’re the victims. Pavee Point are only their apologists. Useless organization funded by our taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Omackeral wrote: »
    You'd be along to ask why they haven't rang Tusla on settled people's cases if they admitted they reported this case.

Close enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Zuzana11 wrote: »
    Do 4 year olds go to school with a hangover

Not all 4 year olds go to any school with no hangover.

They’d just say it’s someone else’s fault. It’s what they always say.

it's not what they always say. from anyof their press releases and other corispondants with the media, the only time they say something is someone else's fault is when it actually is, for example when they talk about things such as discrimination against travelers.
    They’re the victims.

well yes, unfortunately travelers still remain to be the victims of discrimination and bigotry.
    Pavee Point are only their apologists.

how so? they are a group that raise traveler specific issues and lobby to insure traveler's rights are upheld. not sure how that is being an apologist?
    Useless organization funded by our taxes.

in what way are they useless? they seem to be standing up for traveler's rights and lobbying quite well. so from what i can see at least they are far from useless given they do exactly what they were set up to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

This video is neither shocking nor surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Omackeral wrote: »
    It is often settled toddlers drinking pints and shadow boxing

I think you'll find it's often settled people sneaking into halting sites and swapping toddlers bottles of milk for cans of Guinness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement