Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai ix35, 4x4 has stopped working

• 11-09-2019 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi I have a 2012 Hyundai ix35 4x4 2.0D and last week there was a very strange noise out of it and since then the 4x4 has stopped working. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gary keogh wrote: »
    Hi I have a 2012 Hyundai ix35 4x4 2.0D and last week there was a very strange noise out of it and since then the 4x4 has stopped working. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated thanks

Drive shaft maybe, gear box linkage could be anything but you shouldn't continue to drive....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gary keogh

Drive shaft maybe, gear box linkage could be anything but you shouldn't continue to drive....

It hasn't stopped me driving at all just no 4x4

It hasn't stopped me driving at all just no 4x4

Most likely transmission or drive shaft going to rear wheels. You need to get it checked.

Was the transmission ever checked, lubricant check?

Most likely transmission or drive shaft going to rear wheels. You need to get it checked.

Was the transmission ever checked, lubricant check?

Loads of oil in it. I only got a gear box seal in it a couple of weeks ago. The drive shift going to back axle is all good

You stated a very strange noise....

Possible the bearings and teeth off the gearing are gone.... It needs investigating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You need a professional to lift car up and have a look

You stated a very strange noise....

Possible the bearings and teeth off the gearing are gone.... It needs investigating.

It kinda sounded like a tight chain slipping on a cog. It happened 2 or 3 times and then stopped and hasn't happened since. I think it's the transfer box has anyone any kind of idea how much it is for one (second hand) or would I be better off getting my own reconditioned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Loads of oil in it. I only got a gear box seal in it a couple of weeks ago. The drive shift going to back axle is all good

Why did the seal need replacing? Is it a coincidence that you had that job done recently and now the 4x4 no longer works?

Why did the seal need replacing? Is it a coincidence that you had that job done recently and now the 4x4 no longer works?

I had to get the clutch and flywheel done on it and since then it was leaking from the seal

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wonder if it was reassembled correctly?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I wonder if it was reassembled correctly?

Its was done nearly a year ago so I'd imagine it would have gone before now

Small update. I had my mechanic ring Naas gearbox centre today. They came back to him with a price of €2500 to repair the transfer box

Small update. I had my mechanic ring Naas gearbox centre today. They came back to him with a price of €2500 to repair the transfer box

Ouch.....

Is there any pre maintenance to say save it happening in future....

Wonder could you get out of scrap yard like a crashed one etc....

Ouch.....

Is there any pre maintenance to say save it happening in future....

Wonder could you get out of scrap yard like a crashed one etc....

That's the plan now, pending price im waiting for a few yards to check stock and ring me back but I fear it's still not going to be cheap

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Going to ask a question here.
    How do you know the 4x4 has stopped working.
    These aren't permanent 4wd. They drive on front wheels nearly all the time unless it needs 4 wheel drive "on demand" ie in ice / snow /uneven roads
    The average driver wouldn't even notice it. So unless your off roading it would be quite difficult to tell that the 4x4 isn't working.
    Honestly Id get a second opinion. Ive never seem a transfer box go on one of these.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Going to ask a question here.
    How do you know the 4x4 has stopped working.
    These aren't permanent 4wd. They drive on front wheels nearly all the time unless it needs 4 wheel drive "on demand" ie in ice / snow /uneven roads
    The average driver wouldn't even notice it. So unless your off roading it would be quite difficult to tell that the 4x4 isn't working.
    Honestly Id get a second opinion. Ive never seem a transfer box go on one of these.

The day after all the noise from it I was on some grass and the 4x4 didn't kick and for some reason it drives so much different now

The day after all the noise from it I was on some grass and the 4x4 didn't kick and for some reason it drives so much different now

Update!

So I got the gearbox and the transfer box taken out of my jeep and their both ****ed. The diff in the gearbox is wore to pieces and that in turn wore the shaft on the transfer box. It seams to be a problem with the ix35. I went to a brakers to look at a 151 jeep and there wore the same as my own

Advertisement