Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Propane regulator

Options
  • 03-09-2019 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    I am new to caravaning and was looking for some advice on the gas regulator.
    The van has a continental model 460 propane regulator. I can turn the top of it to either increase or decrease the gas pressure, the cylinder also has an open and close valve.
    I had the gas open and the hob was working fine, I thought the gas was running a bit too high so I turned the regulator while the gas was running and the the gas stopped coming through.
    Now nothing is coming through.
    There is a sticker on the regulator saying read the manual but I can find an manual online.
    Anyone familiar with this regulator?
    I’ve been reading in the web and it appears regulators sometimes need to be reset. Could this be what is wrong?

Thanks
    Newbie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would remove it and replace with a standard regulator for the gas of your choice you have butane or propane type regs here and they use different valve systems. Usually propane has a LH21mm screw thread and butane has a jumbo clip on connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 abouttocrackup

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I would remove it and replace with a standard regulator for the gas of your choice you have butane or propane type regs here and they use different valve systems. Usually propane has a LH21mm screw thread and butane has a jumbo clip on connector.

Thanks for your reply.
    It was working fine until I gave it a tiny turn and then it instantly stopped.
    So I am assuming the regulator and gas are matching.
    I think I will try disconnect the gas and leave it for a while to try reset itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Thanks for your reply.
    It was working fine until I gave it a tiny turn and then it instantly stopped.
    So I am assuming the regulator and gas are matching.
    I think I will try disconnect the gas and leave it for a while to try reset itself.

If it has a cutout disconnect the gas and turn on a burner to release pressure on both sides. If that doesn't work a common issue with continental regulators was the plasticiser leeeching from the hose and clogging the regulator. Increasing the pressure may have drawn plasticiser into it.

Adjustable regulator has the potential to generate Carbon monoxide if incorrrectly adjusted, I would replace it as suggested. Standard regulators are cheap as chips - €12 delivered

https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-regulators/butane-gas-regulators-low-pressure.html

https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-regulators/propane-gas-regulators-low-pressure.html

Standard 30millibar bulkhead one would be about €24 delivered

https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-regulators/caravan-motorhome-gas-regulators.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 abouttocrackup

Thanks.
    I disconnected the gas and opened up the regulator, I was able to blow through it which showed it was open. When I connected it back to the gas the pressure was far too high. I think I just need to close down the regulator properly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks.
    I disconnected the gas and opened up the regulator, I was able to blow through it which showed it was open. When I connected it back to the gas the pressure was far too high. I think I just need to close down the regulator properly
    From a safety point of view you have nothing to gain and a whole lot to lose when mucking about with gas.
    A new reg will be less than 20 euro and will be a lot safer than an adjustable one.
    If you insist on keeping the old one make sure you have a good fire extinguisher installed in an easy to access spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement