Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Jumpers are Coming 2019/2020

• 01-09-2019 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭

Getting this opened again as the nh horses come in from summer breaks and start upping their work. Plenty to look forward to in the months ahead and a few articles coming out on the well being and targets of last seasons hero’s . Wonder is this the year we see Altior defeated or does him stepping up in trip play to his strengths at this age. Klassical Dream will be fun to follow. And a host of newcomers to hit the bumper scene. Roll on the season with the first big races not long away now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Last chance for Douvan to show his class, if he still retains it at all. Hopefully Sizing John comes back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I heard Mullins say Melon will be his Arkle horse so i've backed AP at 20s.

Santini for the Gold Cup too. Nailed my colours to the mast with this lad and I'm certain he's a GC horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Slattsy wrote: »

Sounds like he won't be running in the Arkle so :D
    Santini for the Gold Cup too. Nailed my colours to the mast with this lad and I'm certain he's a GC horse.

Agree with this. I'm on since after the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Feck i was thinking the 25/1 antepost for the CH was the same as finding money in the road, he is a certainty to place at least. (Thank feck i didnt back it yet):eek:

aidankkk wrote: »
    Feck i was thinking the 25/1 antepost for the CH was the same as finding money in the road, he is a certainty to place at least. (Thank feck i didnt back it yet):eek:

I wouldn't let Mullins comments put you off. Not exactly the most reliable source of information.
    Anyway, even if the Arkle is his intention, didn't Buveir D'air go chasing before winning the Champion Hurdle the same season? Trust your gut. You may regret it otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't let Mullins comments put you off. Not exactly the most reliable source of information.
    Anyway, even if the Arkle is his intention, didn't Buveir D'air go chasing before winning the Champion Hurdle the same season? Trust your gut. You may regret it otherwise.

I wouldnt back him at 25/1 if he wasnt a near certainty to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Melon won’t with either.

I see Topofthegame is being aimed at the Hennessy and i wonder if Santini and Lostintranslation go that also?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Topofthegame

From racing post

https://www.racingpost.com/news/nicholls-owners-day/paul-nicholls-topofthegame-strikes-me-as-an-ideal-gold-cup-horse/397688

By Ben Newton
    UPDATED 6:53PM, SEP 1 2019

It has been ten years since Paul Nicholls last won the Cheltenham Gold Cup but he believes he has the ideal candidate in Topofthegame.

The champion trainer revealed last season's RSA winner will be aimed at the Ladbrokes Trophy at Newbury on November 30 and believes the seven-year-old could have a "serious chance" at the Festival.

“He strikes me as an ideal Gold Cup horse,” Nicholls said. “We’ll train him with that race in mind. He travels beautifully, jumps and stays, and those are the qualities you need.”

The unexposed stayer, who is a general 10-1 shot to land the Cheltenham showpiece, looks to have done exceptionally well over the summer, and the trainer added: “We had a few little problems with him last season and he’s not been easy to train.

"Obviously it wasn’t the plan to take him to the festival without a win over fences under his belt, but we just ran out of time. He beat Santini fair and square there, and the third horse has since boosted the form, so the first three at Cheltenham all look top-class.

“And look at his earlier form. Any horse capable of giving Defi Du Seuil the best part of 25 lengths start, as Topofthegame did at Exeter, and then getting within four lengths of him, must be a serious horse.”

David Cramphorn
    Nicholls, speaking at his annual owners' day on Sunday, said: “The one day I want him at his very best this season will be Gold Cup day in March. I’ll also aim to get him spot-on for his first big objective, the Ladbrokes Trophy.
    “As a trial for Newbury on November 30, we’ve got three options. Because he didn’t lose his maiden status until March, he remains a novice over fences until November 1, so we could go for a novice chase at Chepstow next month if he’s ready.

"Alternatively, there’s the intermediate chase at Newton Abbot we won with Strong Flow before he went on to land what was then the Hennessy, or there’s the Future Stars Chase at Sandown.”

Betfair Nicholls specials

Nicholls 6-4 to win a record 11th King George in 2019
    Trainers' title: 4-6 Paul Nicholls, 5-4 Nicky Henderson
    Nicholls 15-8 to train two or more 2020 Cheltenham Festival winners
    Nicholls 9-4 to train 150 or more winners in the 2019-20 season
    Nicholls 9-2 to train the winner of the 2020 Cheltenham Gold Cup

While Nicholls considers Topofthegame to be his number one Gold Cup hope, the trainer said he is expecting further improvement from last season’s Gold Cup fifth Clan Des Obeaux, who is a general 16-1.

“He was bang there jumping the last in March, but he didn’t quite get up the hill," he said. "As soon as the rain arrived on the morning of the race it had me worried. But if we go back there next spring, on different ground, who knows?”

Clan Des Obeaux had earlier put up a career-best performance when winning the King George and Nicholls added: “All roads in the first half of the season will lead back to Kempton on Boxing Day. For his first run we’re aiming to take him to Down Royal for the JNwine Champion Chase on November 2. Although he’s won going both ways, his best form has come going right-handed, so Down Royal should be ideal.”

Clan Des Obeaux paraded at Paul Nicholls' owners' open day
    Clan Des Obeaux paraded at Paul Nicholls' owners' open day
    Tracy Roberts
    Nicholls would love nothing more than to win another Cheltenham Gold Cup, as he would draw level with the legendary Tom Dreaper, who sent out five winners of the race between 1946 and 1968.

The trainer has an embarrassment of riches in the staying chase department and the remarkable Frodon could enter the Gold Cup mix, although he will more likely bid to win another Ryanair, for which he is available at a general 14-1.

The seven-year-old's glorious association with Bryony Frost lit up last season from October to March. Their brilliant victories in the Old Roan, Caspian Caviar Gold Cup, Cotswold Chase and Ryanair led to ecstatic scenes every time and captured the imagination of a wider audience, to the extent Frost has become one of the most recognisable faces in racing after Frankie Dettori.

Onlookers at Ditcheat on Sunday were anxious to learn where the Frodon-Frost show is likely to resume, and the trainer revealed: “He’ll go back to Aintree on October 27 for the Old Roan Chase again. His rating of 169 is 11lb higher than when he won it last year, so it won’t be easy giving weight away, but at least it’s a limited handicap.

"Aintree fits in nicely as the race I think is made for him is the Betfair Chase four weeks later. He’ll love the flat track at Haydock and the easy-ish three miles there, so that’s a big first-half target for him.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Joseph saying Le Rich might not be seen this year is disappointing

One I am really looking forward to seeing this year is Gypsy Island
    Presume/Hope it goes in the Supreme
    Looked something special at the arse end of last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

yaboya1 wrote:
    Agree with this. I'm on since after the RSA.

I'm backing Top of the game, couldn't get over how nice a horse he was when I saw him in Chelt last year, will tip away with a bet every pay day,

will have a saver on santini alright, hopefully they're fighting it out up the hill next march!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Blinkers_off

kemboy is a certainty to win the gold cup

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Going to be a blockbuster year i think with the standouts being the 3m+ chasers and Novice Hurdle division. Most excited about seeing Altior, Santini, Envoi Allen and Andy Dufresne. Can't wait.

Course he is.
    Excellent course form :D

Course he is.
    Excellent course form :D

waste all the time you want , he wins

waste all the time you want , he wins

3m2.5f, 22 fences towards the end of the jumps season and you've got a certainty in September. Good man.
    Get on before the bookies realise and slash him to odds on.

3m2.5f, 22 fences towards the end of the jumps season and you've got a certainty in September. Good man.
    Get on before the bookies realise and slash him to odds on.

wins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

wins

Not gonna happen buddy

Remember the blind Panic when it looked like Cheltenham wasn't gonna happen last year!!!
    Twas epic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

The test a different kettle to Aintree and Punch obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

I can’t wait to see Topofthegame this year. I thought his RSA performance was pure class. He’s a proper staying chaser and I’m delighted for Nicholls, he’s been waiting years to get another good one. Can’t wait for the season to get going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Klassical to romp home in the champion. Last years chsmpion hurdle was shocking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Top of the Game is literally the biggest NH in training. He is a monster. He is no Denman, but he gives me the same feels of greatness.

57979-small.jpeg10935962-6804393-image-a-68_1552487278581.jpg

The RSA this year was just a prep. So will the Hennessy be.

What I will say at this point however is that let's hope all our fancies stay fit and healthy for the entire year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Guess who's back
    Back again
    Guess who's back
    Guess who's back
    Guess who's back

So, what are we expecting from Samcro this year????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If he comes back with none of his niggles he could be anything. Why won't they go chasing with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Seller in Perth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

This season will be all about Klassical Dream and, touch wood, some epic Grade 1 staying chases.

• Advertisement

I really miss at the Races. It was so focused on Irish racing . I’ll probably bite the bullet and sign up for 1 year on Racing TV and see what it’s like .

I was online a watching old interviews on atr the rich Richie one with Matt couple seasons back nearly 2 hours that was good hopefully Racing TV have similar output

Advertisement