Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car stolen - insurance offer

• 26-08-2019 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi folks,

My car was stolen last week and the insurance company rang today and offered me 17,500 euro. I had it insured for 22,000 euro. Now I understand that they go with current market value but that offer seem like a derisory one. The guy basically went on to donedeal and picked out the lowest priced similar car on there and offered me the asking price of that one (also that was a 151, mine was a 152). Similar cars with the same spec are asking for 19,000 - 22,000)

I said I’d get back to him and that i wasn’t happy with the offer.

Any advice for the next conversation I have with them?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

tell them you want 22 for it
    then meet them in the middle

its sort of like someone trying to buy your car off you, abit of negotiating is involved.
    I wouldn't settle on the lower amount either.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Go to the VRT calculator and see what price it gives as open market selling price (OMSP) for your car to see if that's much different. Also if you bought new tyres or any major jobs like timing belt etc mention this.

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry/vehicle.html?execution=e1s1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I'm sorry to hear you car was stolen. The offer is quite poor in my opinion. You should be looking a lot closer to the 20ish mark. Its terrible you are out the difference because of some toe rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

I just want a fair offer, don’t want to drag it out. I only have the car 9 months and it was in mint condition, main dealer servicing, fresh NCT the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Make model spec

• Advertisement

Make model spec

152 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi. 60k miles. Service history. Fresh NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

That is a lovely car btw. It is definitely worth more than they are offering. Was it stolen from outside your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

antoswords wrote: »
    152 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi. 60k miles. Service history. Fresh NCT

That's a lousy offer, the combi VRS hold their value very well. How was it taken? Does it have kessy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The Insurers normally use one of a couple of "Car Valuation Experts" to come up with a figure.
    These Companies simply do as the OP mentioned....they will find the 3 cheapest Make and Model on DD (doesn't matter if your's is petrol or diesel, Mileage, Estate, etc. They won't even look at that) and that's your valuation.
    What the Op should then do is have a look at Carzone.ie and see what Dealers are asking for Models that match his. And (as suggested) look at the OMSP on the VRT site Then get back to the Insurer with examples that more closely resemble his ex car. Knock off 5% for Dealer haggling room and that's what he should be demanding. Most Insurers will settle for close to this figure.

edit; BTW some people may come on here and say that an asking price is just that, etc. If that's what they're asking on DD that's what he should accept.....but the OP should be able to go into a Dealer and get himself back into a very similar Car to his old one.....not drive to some Petrol Station to meet somebody selling on DD.

House broken in to, keys taken. Gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Car was a uk import?

Looks like for €18k all in you’d have a pick of nice uk ones. For €20k you’re into 2016s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Dealer or Private ?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Car was a uk import?

Looks like for €18k all in you’d have a pick of nice uk ones. For €20k you’re into 2016s

Yeah, I know I could get a better deal in the uk, it’s just the hassle.

Your old one was UK too I assume.
    If you can push them for another few grand you could do well out of it and get a newer lower mileage car.
    It would make me wonder how realistic the non Skoda dealer donedeal asking prices are though.

Your old one was UK too I assume.
    If you can push them for another few grand you could do well out of it and get a newer lower mileage car.
    It would make me wonder how realistic the non Skoda dealer donedeal asking prices are though.

Yeah, came from UK. I’m just wondering how flexible the ins comp are gonna be. I need a car soon, but not gonna accept that offer.

Def push them for more but take a reasoned approach to it and outline the reasons yours isn’t the same as the cheap one.

Def push them for more but take a reasoned approach to it and outline the reasons yours isn’t the same as the cheap one.

Cheers Colm 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We had recent experience of this.
    We got all adverts for cheap ones and quickly noted why car was inferior to ours then sent them off to insurer.
    Got a fair figure in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The insurer should have provided you with examples of where they sourced their figure. You need to provide as many alternative examples as you can to support your case. Allow for a small discount because you will be a cash buyer and the insurer should compromise with you. While it is in their interest to settle as low as they can, they have no desire to upset their clients and just want the claim boxed off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

antoswords wrote: »
    Similar cars with the same spec
    Did you have this specification included in the policy documents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Victor wrote: »

Wot???

The insurance company are well aware of the spec of the car. It’s on the policy documents as once the reg is Inputted on their system it brings up full details of the type of car it is, down to model, version, type etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wot???
    Imagine two identical cars, except one has the standard plastic seating and the other has real leather seating. The second one is worth a lot more.

If you don't declare the enhancement, claiming for it is going to be harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Imagine two identical cars, except one has the standard plastic seating and the other has real leather seating. The second one is worth a lot more.
    Fixed it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

If you don't declare the enhancement, claiming for it is going to be harder.

Bolloçks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I had this happen to me 3 years ago and the initial offer was low. So I went onto Carzone and Autotrader and took screenshots of similar spec cars with higher prices and also lower spec cars that still were going for more than I was offered. I emailed them to the insurance company and the chap that I was dealing with. I got a phone call about 3 days later with a higher offer which was much fairer and I accepted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Sono

You say you had it insured for €22k but what did you pay for it? I may have missed that? The value that you insure the car for doesn’t really make a difference tbh as the market value at the time of loss is what you should be getting.

If you can support your claim that a like for like car to yours is worth considerably more than the €17,500 then send the ads into them and they should be reasonable in their settlement.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Irish Dealer preferably..... unless the Insurer is going to cover his travel costs, time off work,etc.

Well they are going to well cover him if he imports. He’ll have money left over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement