Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo editing hardware - what are we using? AWS anyone?

• 26-08-2019 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

I’m in the market for a replacement laptop, but I’m wondering is anyone using aws ec2 or workspaces or similar for running Lightroom (primarily, bit of ps editing too)

Using aws appeals on a few fronts, but is anyone else using it?
    Does rdp compress the image for transmission?
    Is there a direct viewing capability on the native screen?

I’m interested in thoughts others have.

If no one has experience, it’s something I might try myself and report back on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

I've found some online tips ; seems there are lossless rdp options so that's covered. Seems latency for slider use is a concern, but I'm not sure how big an issue it is.
    Haven't looked up white balance and colour calibration either (although a lot of my stuff is B&W)
    From a quick mooch around it seems that some have done it, doesn't seem very mainstream though.
    Price wise it's a no brainer for me, I probably average a few hours editing a month. Have decent broadband so transmission up & down doesn't matter.

If there's an expression of interest I'll keep the thread updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ive edited over RDP when PS has been having a moment. Local, fast LAN. You get an impression of what you're doing but colour/aliasing really does screw with what you see vs what you get.

Remember HDMI at standard HD standard depth is 2500Mbps, you home internet is at best 360Mb(1000Mb if FTTH enabled) and you'll only ever get a consistent 100Mb from an EC2 instance that isnt mad money. Compression helps but on the fly compression has its limits.

Even uploading a 30GB card from many locations into your instance is gonna be painful. IMO way too many cons for few pros. An editing capable laptop isnt mad money nowadays. I edit on a 3317U handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Never tried Cloud based APPs of any type for editing. I prefer a desktop to a laptop - far more bang for my buck!

I use a Dell XPS 8930, i7-8700K, GTX 1080i, 32GB RAM, 512GB M2 PCI NVMe, 1x2Tb, 2 x 4TB HDD's all 7200rpm, a 24" 1920x1200 screen and a 28" 4K screen.

Laptops are great for on the move but suck when it comes to cheap power. And the screen's generally are no match for a good desktop rig (assuming you calibrate the monitors).

In LR and PS, the sliders act in real time (or close enough that I don't notice the lag).

But then again, I've worked with computers for over 40 years so I'm probably a bit of a gear head (moderated by budget - I have a wife and 2 daughters :))

Adrian

Advertisement