Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips for self discipline when trying to lose weight

Options
  • 03-06-2019 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

When I cut back on food, or try different eating patterns, I do start losing weight. But my problem is that I can't stick to it longer than a few days.
    I need some tips for staying disciplined during these times. I live with family, so I can't not have certain foods in the house. Also, I'm not huge, and maybe have a stone or so to lose so it seems to be hard.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Have you tried using myfitnesspal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Have you tried using myfitnesspal?

No, what does it do exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's a food and exercise tracker, an awesome tool IMO.

As you're tracking intake you'll find it motivates you to keep on track - keeping score as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

one thing I started doing which helped me with my weight-loss was simply going to bed at night time when I had the cravings to eat something. this would usually be around the 9:30/10 mark. might not suit you but it was something that stopped the late night cravings for me.

Also something you have to do (it was something I had to do) is have your goal set out. I always said I need to lose "a few Stone", when I actually set my goal and put a number on it I found it much easier to stay on track.

Hope the above helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

When I cut back on food, or try different eating patterns, I do start losing weight. But my problem is that I can't stick to it longer than a few days.

why not?, do you end up eating very bland food or do you overeat stuff you are trying to moderate?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    why not?, do you end up eating very bland food or do you overeat stuff you are trying to moderate?

I find the hunger or sugar pangs will get the better of me after a few days and I can't overcome them.

etxp wrote: »
    one thing I started doing which helped me with my weight-loss was simply going to bed at night time when I had the cravings to eat something. this would usually be around the 9:30/10 mark. might not suit you but it was something that stopped the late night cravings for me.

Also something you have to do (it was something I had to do) is have your goal set out. I always said I need to lose "a few Stone", when I actually set my goal and put a number on it I found it much easier to stay on track.

Hope the above helps.

That is a good idea about going to bed at that time. And yes sometimes the hunger pangs will catch up to me by that time. Sometimes I'll have a cup of tea curb the hunger but what goes nice with tea.......foods I shouldn't be eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 namastehealthy

I go back and forth with this app. But it's definitely a great guide to see just how much we consume daily.

I go back and forth with this app. But it's definitely a great guide to see just how much we consume daily.

I think I will give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

I second the MyFitnessPal recommendation.

But you have to be totally honest with it - for seven consecutive days, record exactly what you eat and drink. Weigh everything and record every ingredient. It's a bit time-consuming to begin with but it very quickly shows you the food you eat regularly which makes it easier. It'll tell you what you are eating compared to what you think you're eating and it helps you then re-adjust your meals to hit your calorie/protein/carbs/fat goals for the day.

I was shocked how many more calories I ate every day without realising - a few extra grams of porridge here, a bit more meat than I had estimated there - it is so easy for your portions to creep up without you realising and therefore going massively over your daily goals.

If you have a FitBit, MyFitnessPal will automatically sync with it, so it will record your calorie expenditure as well as your calorie input. If you're totally honest with it, every day it will tell you if you burned more calories than you consumed - that's the only way to lose fat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Nothing ever worked for me like cutting out processed sugar did. Not naturally occurring sugars, just processed and added sugars. So I stopped eating processed sugary snacks and replaced them with fruit when I needed a sweet snack. My relationship with my appetite completely readjusted once I'd kicked the addiction to processed sugar. I found that I had less desire for lots of simple carbohydrates and was satisfied without eating bread/pasta/potatoes at every meal. The weight fell off in a sure but steady manner. I thought I had a stone or so to lose, the reality is that I had over two stone to lose to get to a healthy BMI and at least another stone to actually feel closer to what's best for me. It took about 6 months to get there.

After that, I knew I needed to start adding more exercise to my lifestyle, because I was a healthy weight but unfit. I also knew that the likelihood of gaining the weight back was higher if I remained so sedentary. By chance I found an activity that turns out to be my absolute passion while also being a really top notch aerobic and anaerobic exercise. So I never have to make myself work out, instead I'm constantly trying to schedule at least 90 minutes into each day. I average about 10 hours a week but often do double that, if I can get away with it.

I eat whatever I want now and don't completely avoid processed sugar anymore. Though I strongly favour quality over quantity, so I'd rather have a few squares of really good quality chocolate than a big bar of chocolate flavoured palm oil. And the mental satisfaction and dopamine buzz I get from 'working' out has largely replaced the pleasure I used to get from ****e food. I am genuinely in touch with my appetite and I won't eat for the sake of it, while also eating a lot when when I need to. I don't count calories, just listen to what my body is telling me it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

iguana wrote: »
    Nothing ever worked for me like cutting out processed sugar did. Not naturally occurring sugars, just processed and added sugars. So I stopped eating processed sugary snacks and replaced them with fruit when I needed a sweet snack. My relationship with my appetite completely readjusted once I'd kicked the addiction to processed sugar. I found that I had less desire for lots of simple carbohydrates and was satisfied without eating bread/pasta/potatoes at every meal. The weight fell off in a sure but steady manner. I thought I had a stone or so to lose, the reality is that I had over two stone to lose to get to a healthy BMI and at least another stone to actually feel closer to what's best for me. It took about 6 months to get there.

After that, I knew I needed to start adding more exercise to my lifestyle, because I was a healthy weight but unfit. I also knew that the likelihood of gaining the weight back was higher if I remained so sedentary. By chance I found an activity that turns out to be my absolute passion while also being a really top notch aerobic and anaerobic exercise. So I never have to make myself work out, instead I'm constantly trying to schedule at least 90 minutes into each day. I average about 10 hours a week but often do double that, if I can get away with it.

I eat whatever I want now and don't completely avoid processed sugar anymore. Though I strongly favour quality over quantity, so I'd rather have a few squares of really good quality chocolate than a big bar of chocolate flavoured palm oil. And the mental satisfaction and dopamine buzz I get from 'working' out has largely replaced the pleasure I used to get from ****e food. I am genuinely in touch with my appetite and I won't eat for the sake of it, while also eating a lot when when I need to. I don't count calories, just listen to what my body is telling me it needs.

Can I ask what the sport/activity is that you do?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Skating. I took my son to a party at the roller rink at New Years and remembered just how much I really love skating. It took a few months for me to really get the bug but now I skate for an hour or two (or more if I have the opportunity) most days. I do 4 different kinds, rink, long distance, vert (ramps) and am just picking up freestyle slalom. It’s physically a great exercise (surprisingly muscle building) but it just feels like playing. I recommend it to anyone.

OP here.
    I've been having some success lately. I joined the gym, I am working out (lightly so far), approximately 3-4 times per week.
    I am watching my calorie intake too.
    Although it's just been a couple of weeks, it is still the longest I have stayed disciplined. I don't know what has changed, but I feel far more determined this time. I am on track to reach my weight loss goal. I really hope I can keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

OP here.
    I've been having some success lately. I joined the gym, I am working out (lightly so far), approximately 3-4 times per week.
    I am watching my calorie intake too.
    Although it's just been a couple of weeks, it is still the longest I have stayed disciplined. I don't know what has changed, but I feel far more determined this time. I am on track to reach my weight loss goal. I really hope I can keep it up.

Well done. You're building a habit now and it becomes easier to stick with it. There will be days that determination/motivation flags and you need something to get you there. Habit kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Trying to be more disciplined myself, up and down but tryin would love to shift a few stone for Xmas. Finding it very hard to get out and get going, for a lad that was sport mad I'm finding it hard to understand.
    But got to start somewhere

https://sigmanutrition.com/episode69/

Really good podcast on little things to engineer your surroundings or how you interact with your surroundings to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

swap snacky rubbish for a carrot or cucumber or something. Satisfies the craving but very little calories and I find you tend to feel a bit fuller after too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Would like to restate the importance of measuring the calories you are taking in, but its not worth a damn unless you do it right. You need to measure everything and you need to educate yourself about what you are eating.

Milk for example, I bet there are people who record how much food is on their plate but don't count the glass of milk they had. Its just a drink, right? Except that drinking milk with your dinner could be hundreds of calories.

A couple of biscuits, nothing really, not worth measuring. Nope, thats hundreds of calories there too.

You need to measure everything, every pour of gravy, every cup of tea with sugar, every snack, every potato. Until you do I could almost guarantee you are substantially under recording just how much food you are eating.

Its not even that hard, after a week or two you will have a list of all your common meals anyway, but the real benefit is that once you start to learn what foods have what calories, thats when you can spot the foods that you could easily ditch without too much hardship!

• Advertisement

I'm still staying reasonably disciplined almost 3 weeks into joining the gym. Still my longest ever.
    But my weight loss decreased drastically as soon as I started doing weights. It's a bit discouraging. But I'm hoping it's because I'm gaining muscle and losing fat, and getting leaner. Anyone know if this would be the case? I haven't had a chance to speak with a gym instructor/trainer yet.

I'm still staying reasonably disciplined almost 3 weeks into joining the gym. Still my longest ever.
    But my weight loss decreased drastically as soon as I started doing weights. It's a bit discouraging. But I'm hoping it's because I'm gaining muscle and losing fat, and getting leaner. Anyone know if this would be the case? I haven't had a chance to speak with a gym instructor/trainer yet.

What’s your intake like? 3 weeks is a pretty short time tbh.

bladespin wrote: »
    What’s your intake like? 3 weeks is a pretty short time tbh.

The first week I lost 4lbs. Then I started doing weights and since then I haven't lost any weight.
    About 1000 - 1500 calories per day (I'm short).

The first week I lost 4lbs. Then I started doing weights and since then I haven't lost any weight.
    About 1000 - 1500 calories per day (I'm short).

You said your workouts are light so it's unlikely it's muscle. It's unlikely it'd be muscle even if they were more intense. I doubt the weights are directly responsible.

Is there anything else that has changed in relation to activity or food?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If you’re only doing weights a few weeks then I can assure you you’re not building enough muscle to make an impact on the scales.
    Biggest weight losses are usually in week 1.

You said your workouts are light so it's unlikely it's muscle. It's unlikely it'd be muscle even if they were more intense. I doubt the weights are directly responsible.

Is there anything else that has changed in relation to activity or food?

I upped the intensity of my work outs after the first week, and started doing weights. Burning approximately 400-450 calories per cardio session. My calorie intake is lower; smaller portions, less junk, no eating after 6pm, drinking more water.
    After the first week of no weight loss I chalked it up to it just being a slow week and I had lost 4lbs the week before, so no big deal. But after a second week of no weight loss and working really hard, I'm stumped. I don't expect to be down another 4lbs, but I was expecting maybe 1lb per week.
    I don't have a lot to lose, maybe a stone or thereabouts.

I upped the intensity of my work outs after the first week, and started doing weights. Burning approximately 400-450 calories per cardio session. My calorie intake is lower; smaller portions, less junk, no eating after 6pm, drinking more water.
    After the first week of no weight loss I chalked it up to it just being a slow week and I had lost 4lbs the week before, so no big deal. But after a second week of no weight loss and working really hard, I'm stumped. I don't expect to be down another 4lbs, but I was expecting maybe 1lb per week.
    I don't have a lot to lose, maybe a stone or thereabouts.

Has it been your time of the month in the last couple of weeks?

Has it been your time of the month in the last couple of weeks?

Nope. In fact it was the first week when I lost the 4lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

What does a weights session consist of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Don't fear hunger.

It's a natural, primordial state to be in. We're probably the only animal on the planet (bar domestic livestock and pets) to have bellies perpetually full.

Advertisement