Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airbnb experience

Options
  • 28-03-2019 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Considering putting my apartment on airbnb this summer as I won't be there much.
    I have a couple of queries...
    I've had a look and a lot of places seem very upmarket, is there demand for average apartments in Mt Merrion/Blackrock.
    My airbnb income will be taxed but will it affect my rent a room scheme threshold?
    Is it achievable to have it occupied 80/90% during June-August months?
    Would I need to put it up on the site far in advance?
    Is it significantly more profitable to airbnb vs short term rent a place out for 6 weeks.
    A lot of questions but I appreciate and info and experiences

Comments

Considering putting my apartment on airbnb this summer as I won't be there much.
    I have a couple of queries...
    I've had a look and a lot of places seem very upmarket, is there demand for average apartments in Mt Merrion/Blackrock.
    My airbnb income will be taxed but will it affect my rent a room scheme threshold?
    Is it achievable to have it occupied 80/90% during June-August months?
    Would I need to put it up on the site far in advance?
    Is it significantly more profitable to airbnb vs short term rent a place out for 6 weeks.
    A lot of questions but I appreciate and info and experiences

I'm in the exact same situation except I live in south Drogheda , 4 minutes from the beach. I have just today listed my house (bedroom only, maybe full house at weekends). I did this after a lot of thought and research. I am very interested in all the above questions and will follow this thread with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

My apartment is quite modest and has no issues on Airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Re upmarket - I guess you price appropriately eg you would pay more for a 5star hotel than a 3star. I did some a few years ago. I priced high and reduced the price until I got bookings. If house was going to be empty the next day I dropped the price considerably

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

JJJackal wrote: »
    Re upmarket - I guess you price appropriately eg you would pay more for a 5star hotel than a 3star. I did some a few years ago. I priced high and reduced the price until I got bookings. If house was going to be empty the next day I dropped the price considerably

So last minute bookings are workable? Would I need to be putting it up online for taking June shortly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

So last minute bookings are workable? Would I need to be putting it up online for taking June shortly?

The longer you have it up the easier it is to plan your own time. Obviously there is significant work with every rental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

Overall it worked out well and was a good learning experience.
    The only guests who caused minor hassle were a group of young Irish. Guests were all very respectful.
    A lot of work between guests though as a very high standard is expected.
    I would imagine it is quite a bit more lucrative towards the city centre locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

If you are not going to be around much, how will you handle turnover? Changing sheets, providing clean towels, cleaning the apartment, etc?

Advertisement