Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

Bad Boys For Life.

Not bad at all but hardly the huge upgrade in quality from the first two.Also,its the third film iv watched in a row ( After Tomb Raider and Pacific Rim:Uprising ) that has a post credit scene setting up a potential sequel.Marvel has a lot to answer for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

p07ryctp.jpg

his dark materials

highly enjoyable

• Wake in Fright 1971 Quite the Aussie movie this, about a teacher in the middle of nowhere heading back to Sydney for the summer but on the way he gets caught up in hick towns and starts drinking. And he doesn't really stop drinking for a few days and life falls apart fairly quick. Its a surreal kind of movie as it seems so normal yet there is a horror to it, a horror of reality.
    What probably has this billed as a horror movie is an actual real Kangaroo Hunt that is filmed for the film, and very hard to watch. This is a weird one for sure, but its very good for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Top secret!
    It's on Amazon prime...not seen it in years still hilarious...not quite airplane but close!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

The Gentlemen

This was fairly poor I thought. Buy any other standard I'd consider it an ok, watchable but messy and badly cast overly ambitious crime romp. But by the standard of Guy Ritchie's other stuff its a bit of a disaster. It's kind of all over the place , really unrealistic to the point of farce and to the point where you wonder if a Charachter is there for comic relief or to actually be taken seriously. The casting is diabolical. Matthew Mcconaughey does not pull off a crime lord at all , Colin Farrell is paddied up to the nines and acts like he's in a panto. Hugh Grant also hams it up big time and his dialogue is pretty awful. It's Full of crap Clichés and a bit too Long.

4/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Serpico

A very young Al Pacino stars as a cop that is exposed to and wages war against corruption within the department. Based on true events, the levels the corruption reached is staggering. Events currently unfolding in the states show that this problem has not gone away. Not the usual screen eating performance from Al he became known for, he goes from wide eyed naivety to downtrodden acceptance that he is only a tiny cog in an ultimately rotten to the core machine. I really enjoyed this, hadn't seen in in donkeys years and it's as much a mystery (as in who can he trust, who isn't actually corrupt) as a cop drama. Really brilliant piece of work and arguably Al's best movie.

9/10

Taxi Driver

Unhinged Vietnam vet DeNiro slowly comes unscrewed as he witnesses depravity on a nightly basis as he drives a yellow cab around an endlessly seedy NYC. RDN is excellent as always, Harvey Keitel is delightfully sleazy as Iris' pimp but it's a movie that not alot really happens. Very much a character study about the effects of war and the largely unseen dank underbelly of 70s NY, it's worth a watch for the performances but it left me a bit flat. The happy ending felt really tacked on and was a complete about face to the overall tone of the film. Was my first time watching it in over 20 years and I did rate it very highly historically, not so much now.

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

Promare - imagine the vibrancy of Into the Spiderverse, but if the creators snorted pure sugar every day before heading into work. Promare is an insane explosion of colour and energy that's equal parts exhausting and dazzling. The outrageously cheesy soundtrack almost (almost!) makes Makoto Shinkai's films feel reserved, while the action fairly incredibly stays *mostly* coherent as rainbows explode and physical laws of the universe are repeatedly disregarded. The story is beyond nonsense and barely coherent, but it does to its credit avoid the sleazier aspects of fan service that tend to permeate a lot of anime these days. Don't expect anything other than empty calories, but boy is the eye candy impressive. Boss-level use of block capital title crashes, too.

While the actual plot is nonsense I would give the story in general a little bit more than that especially in regards to the main villain. In particular
    the main villain being a tech/corporate mogul with a savior complex who possesses the technology to fix the problems of the world, but would rather abandon it and start anew in a world where they lead as a savior has more than a touch of real life counterparts like Elon Musk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Indiana Jones And The Crystal Skull - continuing my revisits if widely beloved Spielberg sequels ;)

So The Lost World is mediocre at best, but I do have a hot take about Crystal Skull: the first half of the film is, in my honest opinion, great. It has its awkward moments (still hate the CG gophers) but there’s so much good stuff in the first hour or so - heck, it’s some of the most fun Spielberg has had in the past two decades (said as someone who believes he’s a better blockbuster filmmaker than serious drama filmmaker.

I love the clarity of the action sequences - the warehouse sequence is a delight, and the chase through the university town later on is a tonne of fun. I’m even pro nuking the fridge - it’s goofy as all hell, but the scenes where Indy realises what’s actually going on in the weird ghost town are a blast (followed by a literal blast). But beyond the action, I think there’s lots of stuff here that has Spielberg operating at his most playful. Take the scene in the diner where Mutt and Indy first meet. It’s such a lively, witty piece of filmmaking - what should be an exposition dump becomes much more as the background energy and the characters’ unspoken gestures and actions start filling us in about who they really are.

Regrettably, the film goes over several cliffs - and not just in terms of the plot - when they reach the jungle. There’s just enough payoff to stick around - I like the way they have Indy grapple with his past life decisions while still ensuring he’s the committed adventurer we know so well. But it’s a downgrade of major proportions. The whole 30 mins stretch of the jungle car chase, killer ant sequence and triple waterfall dive is seriously rough. It’s the worst sort of weightless, unnecessary CG gubbins.

But you know, I have a strange sort of affection for this film while acknowledging its very real, very serious flaws. There’s enough of that classic Indiana Jones spirit in there - especially in its rollicking, delightful first half - that I can’t bring myself to come down as hard on it as so many others have. I’d happily take it over your Marvels or Jumanjis or whatever. It may only be ~40-50% a good film, but it could be worse - it could be Rise of Skywalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Oh, I don't think that's a hot take really. "Nuking the fridge" became a thing precisely because it's the moment people latched onto as the pivot from a good movie to a bad one. Defending that scene itself is another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wake in Fright 1971 Quite the Aussie movie this, about a teacher in the middle of nowhere heading back to Sydney for the summer but on the way he gets caught up in hick towns and starts drinking. And he doesn't really stop drinking for a few days and life falls apart fairly quick. Its a surreal kind of movie as it seems so normal yet there is a horror to it, a horror of reality.
    What probably has this billed as a horror movie is an actual real Kangaroo Hunt that is filmed for the film, and very hard to watch. This is a weird one for sure, but its very good for what it is.

I’ve been interested in seeing this. Heard it described as an Australian Deliverance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ipso wrote: »
    I’ve been interested in seeing this. Heard it described as an Australian Deliverance.

I wouldn't call it that. But it is well worth seeing. It's an odd ride though. Very...um...70's Australian film making.

Re: Crystal Skull, I made a lot of excuses for that film when I first saw it. But I just have to be honest and mark it up to a bad film. Sure, the opening is fine and I was even on board with son of Indy for a bit. But it just ends up rubbish.

The scene were Marion literally drives off of a cliff smiling was just terrible, when she couldn't possibly have known that a fortuitous branch would be there to break their deathly plunge was beyond forgivable.

So, so, much unnecessary nonsense going on in the movie elsewhere too.

It's always been a shame what the Indy movies became. It started off so well with Raiders, which is really the only great film in the series. Temple is a very good follow up. But with Crusade and Crystal shull, the films became just stupid.

I'd like the see the whole thing just buried now. It's been dead since 1984.

• Tony EH wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it that. But it is well worth seeing. It's an odd ride though. Very...um...70's Australian film making.

Yeah Deliverance it ain't. Probably needs to be watched fully oiled to be on the Directors page in retrospect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood (2019)

I had wondered how you shoot a biopic on a man as thoroughly decent and humane as Rogers; the simply answer was to cast Tom Hanks and use A Christmas Carol as the foundation for the narrative. The end result being a beautiful treatise on the value of compassion, empathy and forgiveness. Forgiveness, especially, of yourself. The one minute silence at the mid-point was one of the more masterful, incisive 4th wall breaks in recent cinema. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Clockers (1995)
    Spike Lee's film about crack dealers in a Brooklyn project, called clockers as they clock on early in the morning and work until late in the day. Strike wants to move up in the business and is told by his boss Rodney that he needs to shoot another dealer to do so, which has severe consequences for Strike and his hard-working family man brother when they come to the attention of Harvey Keitel's Homicide Detective.

I liked this film a lot more than I remembered when I first watched it. An excellent cast too; including Keitel, John Turturro, Keith David, Michael Imperioli and even a very young Brendan Fraser in a small role.

Lee has an approach to films that can sometimes be heavy handed but here it all comes together. 8/10

24 Hour Party People (2002)
    Steve Coogan plays Manchester music scene visionary Tony Wilson, as a kind of cooler Alan Partridge who signs Joy Division to his new Factory Records label, cultivates a new wave music scene in his Factory venue, makes a loss on every copy of New Order's Blue Monday sold, signs the Happy Mondays, helps create rave club culture in the Hacienda, and screws it all up spectacularly as a result of his hippie business ethics.
    An entertaining, if messy, film. Some parts have aged terribly, both in terms of CGI/Technical effects and how the culture has moved since. Some very good performances.
    7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

L4yer Cake (2004)
    Had all but forgotten the plot to this but an enjoyable watch with some excellent pieces of direction in it at times - one particular use of Craigs eyes to move between scenes whilst also pointing to what's going to happen next is very good. Michael Gambon with a decent cameo too.

Blade I (1998)
    Had never seen this and would only recommend it to somebody who has a massive bag of weed to smoke beforehand. Classic 90's movie so it was enjoyable to an extent but nowhere near the Michael Jordan of blockbusters for that era: The Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Tony EH wrote: »
    Re: Crystal Skull, I made a lot of excuses for that film when I first saw it. But I just have to be honest and mark it up to a bad film. Sure, the opening is fine and I was even on board with son of Indy for a bit. But it just ends up rubbish.

The scene were Marion literally drives off of a cliff smiling was just terrible, when she couldn't possibly have known that a fortuitous branch would be there to break their deathly plunge was beyond forgivable.

So, so, much unnecessary nonsense going on in the movie elsewhere too.

It's always been a shame what the Indy movies became. It started off so well with Raiders, which is really the only great film in the series. Temple is a very good follow up. But with Crusade and Crystal shull, the films became just stupid.

I'd like the see the whole thing just buried now. It's been dead since 1984.

I agree with everything except The Last Crusade come on that's the the best of the trilogy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Terminator Dark Fate
    What an appalling utter pile of ****e, it's hard to believe it's part of the Terminator series .. wasn't quite as bad as Genisys but an awful awful film, I have some friends who actually thought it was good !!! wtf is wrong with people!

The whole franchise is done, has been since T2, Salvation at least tried it's own thing, and was decent enough but still far too short of the originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Terminator Dark Fate
    What an appalling utter pile of ****e, it's hard to believe it's part of the Terminator series .. wasn't quite as bad as Genisys but an awful awful film, I have some friends who actually thought it was good !!! wtf is wrong with people!

The whole franchise is done, has been since T2, Salvation at least tried it's own thing, and was decent enough but still far too short of the originals.

I agree with this. Watched T4 Salvation for the first time recently. Not nearly as bad as its reputation. There were some good elements and the casting wasn't bad either. In the hands of a better Director with a tighter script it could have been a worthy sequel to the first 2.

I think it was Donald Clark who said the franchise has exhausted all of the considerable goodwill earned by the first 2 films and I'd agree.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I agree with everything except The Last Crusade come on that's the the best of the trilogy!!

No, no and...um...no. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Vast of Night (2020)

Technically impressive for a first time director, the film having a richer & more cinematic feel than most zero-budget, debut features manage; so on that point alone, the plaudits feel deserved. In terms of substance though, little landed for me. The plot was thin and kinda rote, often feeling excessively padded out; while the cute rapid-fire dialogue became shelved for ponderous, rambling exposition - giving the film a bit of a split personality. The intermittent fades to black just perplexed. Still, I'll be keen to see what the director does next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Hand of Night 1968
    Oddball British low budget horror drama which is slightly elevated by the location shooting in Morocco. William Sylvester fresh from er 2001:A Space Odyssey is Prof of falistism (actually archeology) who gets mixed up with a local cult of vampirism while searching for a friend. A potentially decent lurid thriller in here somewhere but never found.

Educating Rita 1983
    Lewis Gilbert's filming of the Willy Russell smash hit now plays like a very nice drama made for BBC One at Christmas rather than a multi award winning feature film. Julie Walters is great but no way was she 27 (actually 33 but looking nearer 40 already)! Dublin standing in for unnamed northern English city very well.

Bullitt 1968
    Peter Yates American debut feature is still absorbing but this is what I realised - the car chase is not the highlight at all, the cat and mouse at the airport is much better. The score from Lalo Schifrin, William Fraker's cool colour grade cinematography and those uber styled opening credits give the film a distinct feel that has aged far better than most film from that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭brevity

The Vast of Night

The picture quality/style bothered me a little bit. I think they might have gone too far with the sepia filters but I enjoyed it. It felt like an episode of X-Files/Twilight Zone/The Outer Limits which I liked.

Sorcerer

I watched this a while back when it was on Film 4. Had never heard of it before but my twitter feed recommended it. Its very good. Super tense and the soundtrack is excellent. 4 men do a runner from their problems and end up in South America trying to get nitroglycerin to an oil fire. I loved the way it was shot. I loved that everyone was paranoid and pissed off at their situation. A must watch imo.

I'd go so far as to say that 'Sorcerer' is superior to the original film in many ways. Shame it nose dived at the BO. I think Vincent Canby even called it an "insult to film making" or something stupid like that.

However, Friedkin did himself no favours with his choice of title, which just confused the crap out of everybody and I reckon that contributed to its downfall some what. He should have just called it 'The Wages of Fear' and been done with it. Not to mention there was a little thing called 'Star Wars', too, which basically siphoned off the audience for every other film that summer.

Yeah, Star Wars arguably killed off Sorcerer's chance, while its name would have also had a hand in its marketing. Wonder would it have fared better these days of the internet and greater power of word-of-mouth. Definitely one of those forgotten classics. A really, tense grubby thriller where you can practically smell the sweat and mud of the location.

Also in its favour is another fantastic soundtrack from Tangerine Dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭brevity

As I was watching it I couldn’t figure out why it was called Sorcerer (it’s the name of one of the trucks). I initially thought they were going to meet some lost tribe in the rainforest as I think there was Aztec type symbolism in the title sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

After not watching a film in ages watched 5 great movies over the last few days. In no particular order were , The Darkest Hours, Dunkirk, 1917, Knives Out and Parasite. Parasite was brilliant, best movie ive seen in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Kajaki: The True Story. This was on the watch list for a while and I just happened to notice it was on Netflix last week. This film tells the true story of a British unit who become trapped in a mine field in Afghanistan. Although a little "hoo-rah" at times the tension is solid throughout. The first ten minutes may as well be subtitled with the jargon that is spoken but it kind of just adds to the realism. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

p to the e wrote: »
    Kajaki: The True Story. This was on the watch list for a while and I just happened to notice it was on Netflix last week. This film tells the true story of a British unit who become trapped in a mine field in Afghanistan. Although a little "hoo-rah" at times the tension is solid throughout. The first ten minutes may as well be subtitled with the jargon that is spoken but it kind of just adds to the realism. Recommended.
    Be warned, this starts off really slowly. But once it gets into it, it's gripping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

The Report

I saw this on Prime Video - it stars Adam Driver as a senate staffer who starts working on a report on request of a senator, to investigate the goings on behind the scenes of how intelligence was gathered post 9/11 by the CIA. He starts out idealistic but soon starts uncovering the methods which were used and the cover-up by various elements of the government. Based on true events - found it very interesting. The amount of stuff that is happening in the background in every government even right now I'd say would make us all gasp, most of it all under the pretense of "keeping citizens safe"

Advertisement