Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Yes, definitely worth going. BMW Welt is completely worth a visit, did it myself 10 years ago.

Munich is a lovely city anyway - the Marienplatz is gorgeous, and the Olympische Stadion is also well worth a visit and there's also the Hofbrauehaus if you like a decent pint. The beer house also has traditional German sausages and people dressed in Lederhosen as well.

Only things against Munich are that the city centre is pretty much dead after about 9 am, and there isn't much choice eating out, plus the food isn't great. Then again, the Germans weren't exactly noted for cuisine. While the Germans normally have excellent English, it is an advantage if you have any German and want to eat out - a surprising number of places in Munich did not have menus in English when I was there 10 years ago.

You basically covered what I wanted to say but was too lazy to type. Well done Captain!

Cheers guys.... I think I'll go. I won't be based in Munich.....it'll be a day trip probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Staying in St. Malo, France for the week, it's mad how many older cars are on the roads over here compared to Ireland, old Pugs, Renaults and ford's are the big ones, but you can see why they're moving to ban Diesels in Paris, I don't think there's another petrol around me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Augeo wrote: »
    Cheers guys.... I think I'll go. I won't be based in Munich.....it'll be a day trip probably.

I went for a Christmas market weekend a few years ago got to play 5a side football on the Olympic stadium Bayern Munich old pitch, went on a walking tour of the Olympic village, the bmw museum was a droolworthy favorite, they have a giant viewing tower included, well worth the que for the lift .
    I don't drink any beer so I had to make do with vodka instead lol, well to some giant beer halls with the lads and I enjoyed the fancy local giant sausages bratwurst etc.

If you're only there for one day then plenty of choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Anyone out at Auto Heroes today? Took the E36 out for a half day track session today in the rain. It was great craic until the couple of week old Brembo pads fell apart (the friction material separated from the metal backing plate). Few month old ATE discs got eaten up as well :pac:

NNotQcf.jpg?1
    GdyFTZ3.jpg?1

Time for another set of discs and EBC Yellowstuff pads I think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wow that's bad they went so quickly...
    Wonder were they faulty..

Wonder would it be worth contacting them or where you bought them.

Wow that's bad they went so quickly...
    Wonder were they faulty..

Wonder would it be worth contacting them or where you bought them.

Too much heat for them I think. Need track/race pads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

shietpilot wrote: »
    Too much heat for them I think. Need track/race pads :)

Ah right get ya....

Some serious braking I would say alright.

Ah right get ya....

Some serious braking I would say alright.

Yeah. Strange to see them go though, still. I've done track days with ATE pads and Mintex pads and didn't have problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Mud flaps for a 5 series lads, yes or no?

Sick to the back teeth of handwashing the car only to get backspray on the rear and streaks along the side strips and doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Wailin wrote: »

Sick to the back teeth of handwashing the car only to get backspray on the rear and streaks along the side strips and doors.

Fook no. It's not a Scooby.

Weather's been sh1te this year so far, had snow up my way this morning. It'll dry out soon enough and a wash every week or two will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Dartz

shietpilot wrote: »
    Anyone out at Auto Heroes today? Took the E36 out for a half day track session today in the rain. It was great craic until the couple of week old Brembo pads fell apart (the friction material separated from the metal backing plate). Few month old ATE discs got eaten up as well :pac:

NNotQcf.jpg?1
    GdyFTZ3.jpg?1

Time for another set of discs and EBC Yellowstuff pads I think :)

Ow...ow ow.

Always preferred the auto-heroes day. One I went to seemed more relaxed than the full track days. Didn't feel so ****e for being slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wailin wrote: »

OE ones yeah, not truck ones :)

Dartz wrote: »
    Ow...ow ow.

Always preferred the auto-heroes day. One I went to seemed more relaxed than the full track days. Didn't feel so ****e for being slow.

When I did the first full track day I thought I'd never look back to Auto Heroes, but to be honest it was great craic today. Mostly because I was able to get to the S-bends quicker and slide :pac:

The full track days are a lot more busier as well. Today's morning session in Auto Heroes only had 12 people booked in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

colm_mcm wrote: »
    OE ones yeah, not truck ones :)
    No form of mud flaps belong on any car, it hurts me thinking of the ugly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Anyone know somewhere good in Dublin (the closer to D14/D16 the better) for wheel and tyre balancing?

My E46 does feel like the tracking is a bit out (and the steering is off centre) so I want to get it fixed but I want somewhere good and won't start telling me to swap the wheels from front to back or any sort of nonsense like that (as a tyre centre in the UK tried to do to me not long after I bought the car despite the fact that the rear tyres are a different width and profile to the front :rolleyes:).

Anyone know somewhere good in Dublin (the closer to D14/D16 the better) for wheel and tyre balancing?

The first stop outlets are all pretty decent I believe. I can't personally recommend a Dublin one though. But I'd use one without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Was going to suggest scully autocare but they appear to be closed? Used them in the past and found them very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I've been teetering on the fence the last while about selling my Honda since I got a 06 Corolla for very very very little. I rarely drive the Honda these days so having a few quid extra for selling something I don't use too much seems like no harm and I'll still have the Corolla if I do need a car.

What do these cars make now? Two years ago I bought it for €6800, would I get half that now? I've been looking them up on donedeal and there's a huge spectrum, cheapest is 1500 and plenty of 5k dreamers.

Do you think asking 3750 to take around 3500 is doable? There's 135k on it, full service history, 1 previous owner. 4 almost new Bridgestone tyres. 1.8 automatic, has the all important pan roof. Interior is great, bodywork is ok, there are some car park dings but nothing hanging off it. Tested till November and taxed until June.

I'd probably keep it if it wasn't worth next nor near 3500 as it is a lot nicer than the Corolla, visually, spec, engine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

3750 to 3950 easily.Its a well kept car and spec and will come across as such the minute you put the add up.

In my view, many follow here and you will prob get close to asking within days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I've been teetering on the fence the last while about selling my Honda since I got a 06 Corolla for very very very little. I rarely drive the Honda these days so having a few quid extra for selling something I don't use too much seems like no harm and I'll still have the Corolla if I do need a car.

What do these cars make now? Two years ago I bought it for €6800, would I get half that now? I've been looking them up on donedeal and there's a huge spectrum, cheapest is 1500 and plenty of 5k dreamers.

Do you think asking 3750 to take around 3500 is doable? There's 135k on it, full service history, 1 previous owner. 4 almost new Bridgestone tyres. 1.8 automatic, has the all important pan roof. Interior is great, bodywork is ok, there are some car park dings but nothing hanging off it. Tested till November and taxed until June.

I'd probably keep it if it wasn't worth next nor near 3500 as it is a lot nicer than the Corolla, visually, spec, engine etc.

The corolla will be an easier car to live with and they are much more comfortable.

3750 to 3950 easily.Its a well kept car and spec and will come across as such the minute you put the add up.

In my view, many follow here and you will prob get close to asking within days.

I think with those you will be waiting while for the right person to come along. They aren't fast sellers, especially pre 08 examples with high tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Ah I don't think I'd agree. The Honda is far more spacious and soaks up a long journey much better, its also a nicer place to be with the pan roof, dual climate, multi function wheel etc. The Honda is definitely a more firm ride but that doesn't bother me too much.

The Corolla is a 1.4 d4d. Are they any use? Never had a diesel one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ya they're a grand run around. The 5 speed is geared pretty well for the engine and they're very good on diesel. Not as lethargic as you'd expect really either but it's all relative.

And as small displacement turbo diesels go they appear to have stood the test of time very well on the reliability front.

Ah I don't think I'd agree. The Honda is far more spacious and soaks up a long journey much better, its also a nicer place to be with the pan roof, dual climate, multi function wheel etc. The Honda is definitely a more firm ride but that doesn't bother me too much.

By easier to live with I ment cheaper to run. The corolla in my experience is the more comfortable car by a bit and better for long journeys too. It's also an easier car to get in and out of.

The civic is indeed more spacious, better spec'd and is nicer on the inside. Although the e12 has a certain quality feeling about it's interior, even if it's not as well spec'd as the civic.

Ya they're a grand run around. The 5 speed is geared pretty well for the engine and they're very good on diesel. Not as lethargic as you'd expect really either but it's all relative.

And as small displacement turbo diesels go they appear to have stood the test of time very well on the reliability front.

They are the best small diesel engine, even to this day I think. When they came out in 2002 no other equivalent diesel could match them for quietness and refinement and they still hold their own now amongst more modern units.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I think that's a fair price. I'll be looking for similar or maybe slightly less for mine in a couple of months time. The auto might stand to you more as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Taxi Drivers and clouds of white smoke?

Fairly often I see Taxis being accelerated hard from traffic lights and putting out thick clouds of white smoke.
    Are they adding some kind of engine cleaner to the fuel, the smoke is horrible..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Probably just skimping on maintenance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Picking up my first BMW since the 320cd I had ten year ago

tenor_1.gif

giddy-gif-4.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement