Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Injured/Retired

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ooo controversial..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I want an end to comments about Douvan, Mullins, Walsh.
    Posters might think they can make accusations.
    If a poster libels someone the poster may have to defend their comments.
    Boards.ie is not, and will not, be a platform for unfounded accusations.

The next poster to continue on this subject will be banned, and that includes any comments, direct or otherwise.

Posters ANDREWMUFC, DubInTheWest, Slattsy, JJs Left Hand do not post again on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This will probably earn me a holiday, but hopefully I am allowed to publish these comments from Ruby Walsh without comment.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/ruby-walsh-fingers-crossed-faugheen-will-make-cheltenham-festival-775831.html

"I saw him Saturday morning and he looked fine to me. He looked 100%," Walsh told Racing UK.
    Hours before Faugheen was pulled from Cheltenham in February of this year.
    https://www.racinguk.com/news/ruby-walsh-confident-of-recovering-in-time-to-make-festival-return

With a bit of luck we will see Douvan on the 27th at Leopardstown, I would imagine. I saw him on Saturday morning and he looked great.
    Comments made 4 days before Douvan confirmed as missing the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I also heard Douvan wasn't right on the day of the Champion Chase myself.

Was just told, he wasn't 100% as he had a niggle. It was more than niggle in the end.

Had him the 'easy' double with Altior the day before and a friend had a similar bet to the posters mate up above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

hawaii501 wrote: »
    I also heard Douvan wasn't right on the day of the Champion Chase myself.

Was just told, he wasn't 100% as he had a niggle. It was more than niggle in the end.

Of all the favourites at Cheltenham this year, Douvan was the strongest in the ring. Some 2/7 available early but 2/9, 1/5 was all that was available before the race. No bookie was willing to step out of line and lay Douvan.

You may have had some inside info from the stable but the betting on the race suggests that Mullins expected Douvan to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Spot The Difference passed away today aged at a fine age of 25.

Will always remember the race where he collapsed after the line having won. Everyone feared the worst until he sprung back up to his feet.

RIP fella.

https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Spot-Thedifference-dies-at-the-age-of-25&prid=188642

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Legend of a horse I was there that day you could hear a pin drop no one went to the parade ring everybody waited for spot the cheer that went up when he got up was a warm and magical moment will never forget it

• Advertisement

Smad Place picked up a slight injury but enough to send him into retirement. Gave his owners some memorable days out, Hennessy and Cotswold Chaseamong the pick. Hadnt missed the Cheltenham festival in 8 years.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/hennessy-hero-smad-place-retired-due-to-injury/317736

Enjoy the retirement fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Whisper out for rest of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Fountains Windfall killed in a schooling accident today

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Massimo Tara

Fountains Windfall killed in a schooling accident today

Horrible news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Conegree out for rest of season with stress fracture.

I know the Bradstocks have always said that his body is brittle but is it any wonder when Sarah rides him out every day?

If only the poor animal could talk :-D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Cause of Causes retired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Cue Card retired, effective immediately

Legend.

His King George was an epic epic race, one for the ages
    Had Vautour backed but still couldnt begrudge Cue Card

The day he beat Captain Chris was the day I fell in love with that horse, a true class act.

Still think he would have won the GC had he stayed up that day in 2016

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Our Duke died of a heart attack this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

kfallon wrote: »
    Our Duke died of a heart attack this morning :(

There were signs this season and particularly after he was pulled up in Cheltenham that something was wrong.

Katie Walsh has retired - https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Katie-Walsh-bows-out-on-a-winner-&prid=190912

Between herself, Ted and Ruby, I am struggling to think of three immediate family members who were as good at their trade as they were.

• Advertisement

Aidan o brien and his two sons? Willy Mullins and Patrick/ nephews?

Add Tommy/Paul/Nina Carberry to that

BumperD wrote: »
    Aidan o brien and his two sons? Willy Mullins and Patrick/ nephews?
    Ruby goes without saying. Ted was the top amateur rider of his generation, up there with Derek O' Connor, but people looking at him now would have no clue, no archive footage exists of him in the saddle. Katie was a very good amateur. All three together for me are better than any or the aforementioned.

It is funny you mentioned the O'Brien's. Personally, I always had a soft spot for Anne Marie O'Brien (neé Crowley) who should probably have ridden for longer than what she did, but she decided to have 4 sprogs. Her career was cut short, but for me, she was the most naturally gifted rider in the O'Brien clan.a

Another milestone for the O Brien family with Donnacha winning the 2,000 Guineas

Timmy Murphy packing it in at 43.

Was always a fan of his over the jumps.

https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Timmy-Murphy-announces-his-retirement&prid=191387

Eddie Hales retiring - https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/from-racing-to-restaurateur-shock-departure-for-don-cossack-producer-hales/331801

This one surprised me a lot, having met Eddie, I thought he would be training horses until he died.

Denman put to sleep, surprised no one has mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Denman put to sleep, surprised no one has mentioned it.

What a horse, his performance in the hennesssey was as good as it got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Finians Oscar dead from colic. Shame as he was getting his act together over fences.

Advertisement