Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Norwegian Air International discussion

• 18-05-2017 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Being reported today that Norwegian air flights to get US preclearance at Dublin and Shannon. On plus side no queueing at the airports in the states.
    Slight negative being I think this means passengers can't bring their own sambos etc. on board. Many people(of which I am one) were intending to do this as a meal is not part of the base fare.
    Still great news overall.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Kinda get the feeling that the cork route was the bait to get ireland to support their us DOT application and they have no long term interest in flying from the airport. They would never have gottten the support they received if it was a Dublin - US flight

They are already dropping hints about cork airport not getting the traffic they proposed

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/cork-runway-may-be-too-short-for-norwegian-air-flights-to-new-york-1.3041237?mode=amp

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Kinda get the feeling that the cork route was the bait to get ireland to support their us DOT application and they have no long term interest in flying from the airport. They would never have gottten the support they received if it was a Dublin - US flight

They are already dropping hints about cork airport not getting the traffic they proposed
    So just what so many aviation industry watchers were saying previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Of course Cork was the bait, but management and the government played right into their hands. If the flights are cancelled from cork I can't wait for the surprise! (There's a good chance they won't be though if they do well)

Also, will this mean Norwegian will be operating from T2 in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Also, will this mean Norwegian will be operating from T2 in Dublin?

I'd imagine so, since preclearance is done there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Hmmmm, the green team won't like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cb12345 wrote: »
    Slight negative being I think this means passengers can't bring their own sambos etc. on board.
    Why not?

What time do US CBP and emigration clock off? It was my understanding that there was only one shift of staff and they clock off early afternoon hence why some late US bound flights don't get to preclear

Aer Lingus have 3 flights, Chicago, New York and Boston between 15:50 and 16:20. All of these flights pre-clear. All of Norwegians times are earlier than this.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Aer Lingus have 3 flights, Chicago, New York and Boston between 15:50 and 16:20. All of these flights pre-clear. All of Norwegians times are earlier than this.

I took the late EI Boston flight only a few years ago and it didn't pre clear along with a few other flights and I seem to remember that it was due to US government staff not being available in the evenings. Must have changed since then.

Google / boards telling me it was maybe due to budgetary restrictions.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056939576

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Thanks for this, it was one of the reasons I wasn't going to fly Norwegian but now with the new direct bus from Stewart starting in June it's looking more appealing.

Why? It's not like you'll be spending hours in immigration at the great hub of Stewart International Airport if there wasn't pre-clearance?

• Advertisement

I took the late EI Boston flight only a few years ago and it didn't pre clear along with a few other flights and I seem to remember that it was due to US government staff not being available in the evenings. Must have changed since then.

Google / boards telling me it was maybe due to budgetary restrictions.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056939576

Reading that thread it comes across as a fairly temporary problem, I remember it vaguely. Friend of mine flew to Chicago on the late flight a few weeks ago and certainly pre-cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cb12345

Victor wrote: »
    Why not?

As I understand it you clear US customs before boarding the aircraft. You are not allowed bring in dairy,meat, fruit or veg. So that rules out sandwiches for me. I think you can bring in chocolate bars crisps snacks etc. But not regular sandwich fillers.
    Tayto doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ursa actos

Depends on the sandwich. Yer wan in the shop in the duty free area was nice enough to warn us we weren't allowed bring ham sandwiches but turkey was ok. Didn't have any issue bringing those through, along with some other snacks, dairy milk bars etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Will Norwegian air budge Aer Lingus prices at all no?

I was hoping this too.
    Gamebred wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

Operating out of both T1 & T2 is kind of apt given that they're "separate" carriers....

I guess the USPC is a good selling point for them (assuming it doesn't add too much on to their fares), I can't imagine the average Joe Soap will realize that the arrival airport isn't likely to be teeming with international flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PlaneLover

Hi, was looking at booking flights from DUB to PVD in July... anyone know what plane it will be operated with? Can't seem to find any clarity between B738 and B737max...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

PlaneLover wrote: »
    Hi, was looking at booking flights from DUB to PVD in July... anyone know what plane it will be operated with? Can't seem to find any clarity between B738 and B737max...

Cheers

Try SeatGuru

No, you will be paying for the convenience to not be dropped 1.5 hours away from JFK or Boston. A lot of people would value that along with the service element Aer Lingus and the other tiers offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

ironclaw wrote: »
    No, you will be paying for the convenience to not be dropped 1.5 hours away from JFK or Boston. A lot of people would value that along with the service element Aer Lingus and the other tiers offer.

JFK is only convenient for New York City – for anyone heading elsewhere in the state SWF could well be a better choice as it avoids the hell that is the Van Wyck Expressway.

Similarly, Providence has a catchment area all of its own.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Noxegon wrote: »
    JFK is only convenient for New York City – for anyone heading elsewhere in the state SWF could well be a better choice as it avoids the hell that is the Van Wyck Expressway.

Curious what the average traveller would want to go see in New York state besides Manhattan and then Buffalo / Niagara in the North? If you are heading for Cape May / Ocean City / Beaches, you may as well fly into PHL. Providence I can understand for Martha's Vineyard etc.

• Advertisement

Noxegon wrote: »

Can this catchment sustain these flights? It's all fine and well saying these areas have their own catchment, but if nobody wants to go there or there's hardly anyone living there to fly then it's pretty useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

I observed AA were offering Pvd-Phl-Dub return for $320 in August. That is definitely the norwegian entry effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ironclaw wrote: »
    Curious what the average traveller would want to go see in New York state besides Manhattan and then Buffalo / Niagara in the North? If you are heading for Cape May / Ocean City / Beaches, you may as well fly into PHL. Providence I can understand for Martha's Vineyard etc.

For those who wish to spend their trip in Woodbury Commons, it would be an ideal location! I have family who spend the Summer in the Hudson Valley which is very beautiful. Neither SWF nor JFK would be sensible airports for Buffalo or Niagara. The value proposition will need to be there or it won't last. I suspect it will be successful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

etselbbuns wrote: »
    I observed AA were offering Pvd-Phl-Dub return for $320 in August. That is definitely the norwegian entry effect.

That's a very specific routing they've adjusting price on, though. It doesn't seem to have had much impact on general US-DUB prices.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Victor wrote: »
    Why not?

US pre clearance inckudes customs. They have restrictions on what foods can be brought through CBP.
    I think its no whole fruit, no seeds, and no meat.

Kinda restricts your "packed lunch" options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Tenger wrote: »
    US pre clearance inckudes customs. They have restrictions on what foods can be brought through CBP.
    I think its no whole fruit, no seeds, and no meat.

Kinda restricts your "packed lunch" options

Sounds like a good business oppetunity however open a sandwich bar just after pre-clearance!

When is the first flight due to take off? Id love to get some feedback as thinking of taking one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

jjbrien wrote: »
    Sounds like a good business oppetunity however open a sandwich bar just after pre-clearance!

When is the first flight due to take off? Id love to get some feedback as thinking of taking one myself.

July 1st

First flight from Dublin today and flying from Terminal Two.

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

So just show passport and visa and after approval now technically in us and a? What a plus++

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Galway_Born

Hi there, can I ask, how was flying with Norweigan Air? I'm using them soon and have been a bit scared by horror stories popping up on Twitter! Lots of lost luggage, queues etc. Did you have any of that going through Dublin or on return leg?

Thanks very much :)

Advertisement