Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Oh, just a note, make sure you get one that automatically re-records when the memory is full. There are a few cheaper ones out there, that beep when they are full and you need to manually delete the files yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 oreilly1979

This has been a great thread and a big help - I wish I could see a selection of them in the flesh...
    I know halfords has one anyway...

The most discrete one I think is the: BlackVue DR350

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackVue-DR350-In-car-Vehicle-Recording/dp/B00AW9FRSE

Which is 105 sterling - a bit more that I've intended but maybe...

My criteria is to have as little interaction with the thing as possible until I need to, so neither to see it nor have to turn it on, and to have it connected to power...

The technology (small overall size) might not be within my price range quite yet!..

They really are well worth it though!..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Potentially stupid question but why does anybody want a dashcam?

Just one of the many possibilities: See here

& am convinced would've saved me a packet too...

Just one of the many possibilities: See here

& am convinced would've saved me a packet too...

I've seen that before, fair enough but how often would that happen?, what are the other reasons ( not taking the p1ss by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've seen that before, fair enough but how often would that happen?, what are the other reasons ( not taking the p1ss by the way)

Doesn't matter how often it can happen. It's the one time it happens where you wished you had one.

Why insure you house contents?
    Why insure your car?

All relative questions when you don't have to and hopefully never have to avail of their relative claims departments.

The number of drivers that have these would seem to be increasing then, Is it all not a little paranoid? There must be more to it than just clearing up what actually happened at an incident, do they tend to be used more in company cars than private cars?

The number of drivers that have these would seem to be increasing then, Is it all not a little paranoid? There must be more to it than just clearing up what actually happened at an incident, do they tend to be used more in company cars than private cars?

I've had one in all my private cars for the last few years. Just disconnect and reconnect into my new car each time.

Is there a recreational aspect to it at all?

Is there a recreational aspect to it at all?

Maybe for track use or drifters. But they tend to use a gopro unit as they can be mounted easier and run from a battery and don't need to be hard wired or plugged into a ciggy lighter.

Go to you tube and search for dash cam and then afterwards do a search for gopro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id like a cam that I would never have to touch. Enough memory to record an hour or so on a loop would be fine. Dont need fantastic video quality or other advanced functions.
    How much should I pay.

mickdw wrote: »
    Id like a cam that I would never have to touch. Enough memory to record an hour or so on a loop would be fine. Dont need fantastic video quality or other advanced functions.
    How much should I pay.

Mine cost less than €50. Once wired in it auto starts at power up and auto shuts down when ignition switched off.

It loops records in 10 minute portions and I get about 70-80 mins before it will start looping over the oldest file on my micro sd card. Must check what capacity it is. But the bigger the card the more you record before looping.

Basically it's install and forget unless you want to remove the card after an incident or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Out of interest, are people seeing more dash cams out and about? I've had mine about 2 years and I've never spotted anyone else with one.

kceire wrote: »
    Mine cost less than €50. Once wired in it auto starts at power up and auto shuts down when ignition switched off.

It loops records in 10 minute portions and I get about 70-80 mins before it will start looping over the oldest file on my micro sd card. Must check what capacity it is. But the bigger the card the more you record before looping.

Basically it's install and forget unless you want to remove the card after an incident or similar.

Kceire - which model did you get then!?..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

cormie wrote: »
    This is the one I have (not my pic but you get the idea) Itronics ITB100HD: http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9389/20121210124946.jpg

Same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Sully wrote: »
    They said the battery is supposed to last that long. I'm sure ill figure out the rest in due time - not sure why it auto-starts and the manual is crap but I just turn it on manually when driving and find its okay.

I'd recommend getting a better quality, so not as cheap of a device, I got one off ebay, came from China, poor communication from the seller, thing didnt turn up for ages, and then ended up not really working that well. When it worked it was ok, but it was shutting down on its own so much it was annoying. Rear camera was good to have, lower quality but useable, still have the whole thing so maybe the rear camera will be useable in some other device.

I'd like a better quality device that I can still plug the camera for the rear window into. Like the look of the itronics but not keen on the price, roadhawk was way over my budget.
    My bro has this one, image quality is good, and it's a neat device. He didn't manage to get the rear camera working, he thinks the connection is funny, but admitted it could have been his fault when wiring it. Worth a punt i reckon. Much smaller than a lot of the others on that site anyway.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-720P-Dual-Lens-Dashboard-Car-vehicle-Camera-Video-Recorder-DVR-CAM-G-sensor-5-2/654129072.html

Thats the same looking, identical, maybe I got a dodgy one or what I had was a copy of that make?? Mine made an awful crackling noise as it was running, with the shutting down all the time, just took the whole thing out.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I like the look of both of these cameras. I can see them both on ebay for (roughly) €200 and €120 respectively. However the second is only available from China which I would be dubious about. Anyone know a dependable retailer for either of these?

After my experience with my camera (and a few other things being posted from China), I'd give it a miss myself. I'm sure there are suppliers that are prompt with good products, but how do you tell?
    Sully wrote: »
    I thought it was recommended earlier in this thread to avoid the cheaper models that there not half as good quality wise? Or did I avoid getting it for all the wrong reasons :P
    Its way less than half as good, unuseable in my case.

Well its your word against someone elses in the event of anything, (over the years had a few people reverse at me like lunatics in carparks looking for spaces etc and then drive off) if you're ever told that or dont fancy looking for witnesses on a busy road in the event something ever does happen (usually people dont want to be involved anyway) then its a handy thing to have I think.
    kceire wrote: »

Someone beat me to it, but what make?? Id consider giving it a shot, maybe.

Any better makes like iTronics that can have a connection for a rear mounted camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Anybody have this one:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dual-Car-Camera-GPS-logger-Dash-HD-DVR-Video-Vehicle-Camera-Recorder-Crash-Cam-/321110757069?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4ac3b14ecd

I ideally want something with two cameras.

The feature spec looks good but the build quality, hmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

it's 640 x 480 upscaled, shite
    alan4cult wrote: »
    Anybody have this one:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dual-Car-Camera-GPS-logger-Dash-HD-DVR-Video-Vehicle-Camera-Recorder-Crash-Cam-/321110757069?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4ac3b14ecd

At least it doesn't claim to be HD, I bought one for around the same price, claimed 720p but was obviously a lower quality, and got 20 pound refund. For 27 pounds, just about worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Get it now, before all the cheaper knockoffs show up... I'm tempted but already have 2 dashcams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

alan4cult wrote: »
    Anybody have this one:

Their 'chinglish' is woeful but the price is ok for dual camera - Mick's garage is advertising a single cam DVR for €99. http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1584978&pk=3BB26

Any others inbetween ?? Dual Cam , HD, €80 range ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

That looks like the way to go. very multi purpose, small, user support community and cheap. Can't go wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Has anyone got one of these?

No IR so I would think it would not be much use at night or am I missing something ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

eamonnq wrote: »
    No IR so I would think it would not be much use at night or am I missing something ?

Did you watch the revue? It appeared to do quite well on well lit urban streets at night and was not too bad on roads lit be the car headlights.

I am thinking of getting one but would like some local feedback. Not sure about the 30fps so not sure how it would work on our 25 fps TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Dear Sam,

You don't have a 25 fps TV.

Good luck with your purchase :D

Tazium wrote: »
    Dear Sam,

You don't have a 25 fps TV.

Good luck with your purchase :D

Yes I do, that is what we have in Europe (because we are 50Hz, TVs show 50 half frames per second interlaced or 25fps). 60 fps or 30 fps is for computers or American TVs. Not sure if my TV can handle 1080p/30 (30fps). It proberbly can but would like to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Dear Sam,

Your TV doesn't care. And if your TV has any form of HD Connection, it really doesn't care.

Enjoy your purchase, worry free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement