Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reading Club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 simonff

Email me about Vonnegut's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

So our next meeting is 19th June. Same place as usual. New faces are always welcome. The book we'll be discussing is A Heart so White by Javier Marias. I had a look and there seems to be a copy available in most libraries (though probably just the one!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Same place is where? And what time? (I may not be able to attend, what with funny work hours, but if possible...)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

cailinoBAC wrote:
    So our next meeting is 19th June. Same place as usual. New faces are always welcome. The book we'll be discussing is A Heart so White by Javier Marias. I had a look and there seems to be a copy available in most libraries (though probably just the one!)

I won't be able to make this meeting either as I'll be away till the 20th :(
    Keep me posted on the book you choose though, and hopefully I'll make it to the next one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

It's Cassidy's on Westmoreland St. at 8pm on Tuesday the 19th.

See ye all there

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Just wondering when people are up for discussing the latest book
    (The Sea -John Banville), would people prefer this Tuesday coming or the one after? (or indeed any other day)

Also, anybody interested in joining us, you're more than welcome to come along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I actually have that book so i'll give it a go.

Hey, thanks for posting. I kept meaning to but never got the chance. Any Tuesday is fine with me but Esmereldina can´t make this coming Tuesday and I don´t know about anyone else. So, definitely any newcomers are welcome!

Ok so I think we'll call it as Tuesday week (the 10th). I reckon it'll suit more people.

So anyone who'd care to join us, it'll be 8pm in Cassidy's on Westmoreland St., for discussion of John Banville's The Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 gramur

Hi, I might be interested in joining yous if thats ok. Not tomorrow but maybe next time, could you let me know what book you'll be reading? If you're not already packed out of course.

• Advertisement

No, we're definitely not packed out!! I think a lot of people are on holidays and the like, but we'll try to keep going. We'll post the next meeting details here. If there's any book you'd like to suggest, maybe you could send me a pm, cos I don't have a suggestion of my own at the moment!!

Ok, so we're hopefully meeting next on Tuesday 31st July. We decided to read the IMPAC winner 'Out Stealing Horses' by Per Petterson. Just looking at the description, I'm wondering if there will be any similarities to 'The Sea'. Anyway, new faces welcome, as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Hi folks!

Just wondering, do you always meet Tuesdays? Might try to come soon!!

Thanks!

You don't bite do you? :D

No, we don't bite!

Yeah, we generally meet every 3rd Tuesday, though it can vary from time to time. So we're meeting next as per my post above. I'll send you a pm closer to the date to see if you're still interested and tell you who to look out for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Thanks! :)

cailinoBAC wrote:
    Ok, so we're hopefully meeting next on Tuesday 31st July. We decided to read the IMPAC winner 'Out Stealing Horses' by Per Petterson. Just looking at the description, I'm wondering if there will be any similarities to 'The Sea'. Anyway, new faces welcome, as always!

I just bought this today, looking forward to reading it ;) Looking forward to seeing some of you new people at the next meeting!

Missed out on the last meeting (I was away) but I've a copy of Out Stealing Horses so I shall read that and see ye all on Tuesday (8pm in Cassidy's, right?)

Missed out on the last meeting (I was away) but I've a copy of Out Stealing Horses so I shall read that and see ye all on Tuesday (8pm in Cassidy's, right?)

Yeah that's it! I'm almost finished the book except I had to leave it aside for a bit for Harry Potter :o Still, I'll be there next Tuesday too...

Ok, see you all tonight at 8, and maybe some new faces?

Hi, I don't think I can make it on 21st August. Maybe we can change to 28th August for next one? By the way, we're going to read For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway, for anyone who's interested

• Advertisement

Yeah cool, the 28th is grand (with me anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

Can new people still join up? I have been looking for a book club for a while now and didn't know this one existed!

Yeah, Please do! We've lost a few members along the way so newcomers are definitey welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 household_goods

I'd definitely be interested in joining. There's no initiation hazing or anything, though, is there?

You'll just have to take a chance and see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'd also be interested in joining a book club. I just saw this thread now though. Can anyone come along? Are you guys still meeting up on the 28th? I'd love to have people to talk about books with. i used to be a big reader but I've been bad recently!

Yep anybody and everybody is welcome, we're meeting in Cassidy's on Westmoreland St. at 8 this Tuesday (the 28th) to discuss For Whom The Bell Tolls and then to decide on a new book to read. So bring suggestions everyone.

See all ye guys (old and new) then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Would love to join you guys on the 28th and check it out but have to work late on Tuesday. I'l check out this thread soon to see when the next one is and make sure I'm free and have read the book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 household_goods

Cool, I'll be there. Could someone please PM about who to look out for? Thanks.

Also, all your biometric details and bank account and credit card details. No harm in being thorough ;) .

• Advertisement

I won't manage to come along tonight either, but I hope you all enjoyed the book, and I'll see the new people at the next meeting :)

Advertisement