Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best cattle slat

• 08-01-2014 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I was getting prices today for slats.the tank is 75 foot long with a 16 foot 6 slat.croom were 6 grand and mcgraths were 6700.my question other than any one else been cheaper is the quality of the slats.has any one experience with these slats.i know one lad telling me that he thought the croom slats didn't let down the dung as good as other slats but that's one opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

pat73 wrote: »
    I was getting prices today for slats.the tank is 75 foot long with a 16 foot 6 slat.croom were 6 grand and mcgraths were 6700.my question other than any one else been cheaper is the quality of the slats.has any one experience with these slats.i know one lad telling me that he thought the croom slats didn't let down the dung as good as other slats but that's one opinion

I had a experience with Mcgraths products, not slats but I wont be doing business again. Have dealt with croom and slats are a good product

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I have heard that McCord make a very clean slat.
    We have slats from wm kiely. Good slat but not particularly clean

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Mostly Banagher here,

Croom wouldn't have a great reputation in this area for more reasons than 1

Mc Graths are only making slats about 7 years , so early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭visatorro

wrights of carrrickmacross are ment to be the highest standard slat around. there are dear but they could be a price comparision far you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Dozer1

dealt with Croom for slats and some concrete rings good products and haven't heard anything bad about them around here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 TopCon

Croom concrete wouldn't have a great reputation around here....

They are always cheapest though. Perhaps there is reasons for this. If you do go with croom I strongly advise checking all slats thoroughly as they come off the lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Creagh Concrete in NI make very good slats but not sure how competitive there prices are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, wrights would have a great rep. up this end of the country. Have them in a shed built in 1990 and in another shed built in 1999. power wash either shed's slats and they are still as new, indistinguishable from each other. They are at Swanns Cross, Monaghan.

Not connected to the company, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

visatorro wrote: »
    wrights of carrrickmacross are ment to be the highest standard slat around. there are dear but they could be a price comparision far you
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yeah, wrights would have a great rep. up this end of the country. Have them in a shed built in 1990 and in another shed built in 1999. power wash either shed's slats and they are still as new, indistinguishable from each other. They are at Swanns Cross, Monaghan.

Not connected to the company, btw.

I have a cow shed with 1 row of Wrights slats and 1 row of Mulleadys (longford precast) The mulleady slats stay a lot cleaner ,the sh.... seems to get down easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pat73

A lot of good information in those threads.i didn't get a chance to do any ringing around today but il def ring around tomorrow with all the advice.as I'm based in west Limerick would the lads up the country be competitive as the local lads with the transport costs factored in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I'd say they would ate the arm off you for a reasonable sized job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Figerty

I have Campion slats in. I couldn't judge the quality as I have had any other type but I have been told the quality and finish is better that most and have a good history of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭joe man utd

I live between croom and mcgraths plant in herbertstown and i wouldnt touch mcgraths to be honest have gone to mcgraths manufacturing plant to see them slats being made.. Structurally they are very sound lots of steel. And are all made grant spec..... I have croom slats on a small tank near parlour and they are fine.. I recently built a 80ft tank and i will be using Carrols in tipperary... Good design good strength and are the best to let the dung down and the agent is a genuine guy to deal with and they take care when fitting... Every man has a different opinion i suppose.

I went to mcgraths today to look at their slats.they looked strong and plenty steel only thing I thought was the finish was abit rough and patchy.my next trip was to croom and their slats were much the same with a smooth finish.patchy in places but a nicer finish.i was talking to my neighbour this evening who has croom slats and only thing he gave out about was that he thought the dung didn't go down as quick as he liked.hopefully il get to a few more places this weekend.im in no major rush at the moment so I can be looking and learing as I go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Stick another animal in the pen and the dung will go down. I think there's more benefit to be got by putting the rubber slat mats on them than worrying about the finish of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

I went to mcgraths today to look at their slats.they looked strong and plenty steel only thing I thought was the finish was abit rough and patchy.my next trip was to croom and their slats were much the same with a smooth finish.patchy in places but a nicer finish.i was talking to my neighbour this evening who has croom slats and only thing he gave out about was that he thought the dung didn't go down as quick as he liked.hopefully il get to a few more places this weekend.im in no major rush at the moment so I can be looking and learing as I go

give a spin to banagher in offaly they make d best of stuff.

I got a few quotes for my slats and there was a big difference in prices.the tank is 75 feet long with a 16 foot 6 slat. Croom were 6000 euro,mcgraths were 6350,campion were 6600,corbets were 7800 and banagher were 8500.they all said they were tractor slats.i know everyone says that banagher have the best slat but what's in there slat to justify that price

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

I got a few quotes for my slats and there was a big difference in prices.the tank is 75 feet long with a 16 foot 6 slat. Croom were 6000 euro,mcgraths were 6350,campion were 6600,corbets were 7800 and banagher were 8500.they all said they were tractor slats.i know everyone says that banagher have the best slat but what's in there slat to justify that price

quality of the workmanship I guess no steel on show would be interesting to know the weight of the slats and see how they compare
    I was doing me 1st tank about 10 years ago the contractor I had who was a wise old man said he was doing tanks with 20 years and never see one bad slat done few tanks since all banagher

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kerryman2014

I bought slats of croom last year well over €20k of them, had heard stories, but have absolutely no complaints, good product and don't have an issue keeping them clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Just as an aside lads, I worked in a soils/geotech lab testing concrete for a while. I can honestly say that Banagher Concrete would be the best in the country for precast concrete quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 kinners

I've also done some quotes and also found huge variances with Slatt Prices from €8200 down to €6900 for slatts.
    Banagher right in the middle on price @ €7600 , but only 7" tractor slatt whilst all the rest do a 9" tractor slatt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

kinners wrote: »
    I've also done some quotes and also found huge variances with Slatt Prices from €8200 down to €6900 for slatts.
    Banagher right in the middle on price @ €7600 , but only 7" tractor slatt whilst all the rest do a 9" tractor slatt ?
    i fitted tractor slats a few years ago cant think of maker now , but strength of slat tonnage is more important than thickness, mine are 10 ton 7" slats . but was told, Bannagher have best slat for scraper for out side door? i don,t know

Hard to know what to do so!!

Price is so important but dont want to Buy wrong for the sake of 500 -1000 euro.

Sandyman, What slat manufacturer did you use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭cjpm

We were advised either Banagher or Billy Kiely in Blarney by a fella going around the country fixing slat mats, so has seen them all. Strongest concrete mix in them. Went with Kiely, great finish in fairness.

No slat manufacturer is selling at a loss. Keep that in mind if you are considering ordering cheap slats. It will be cheap for a reason, either skimping on the concrete or the steel.

I often wonder why lads get caught up in slat quality. Yes there was an issue 40 years ago with single slats but in general slats nowadays are made to a much higher spec that twenty years ago not to mind 40 years ago. Will it make much difference if the slat lasts 40 years or 60 years.

Did 3 bay tank last year 14' 6'' slat, difference in slat price was 2700 to 4500. I went with the cheapest. Maybe I am wrong but the 1800 was the price of six Friesian weanling bulls. Slats were to grant standard. The fella making them was only producing slats other companies had kerbs, septic tanks, concrete blocks competing with there time.

Were the slats as good as the one's I put in the first shed no but 4 bays with a 16' 6'' slat cost me 10K or there abouts. I galvanise steel rsj's before I pay extra for slats. Tanks and structural steel priority. Any of the modern slat will last 40 years IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

I often wonder why lads get caught up in slat quality. Yes there was an issue 40 years ago with single slats but in general slats nowadays are made to a much higher spec that twenty years ago not to mind 40 years ago. Will it make much difference if the slat lasts 40 years or 60 years.

That would be a big considerion for me, why buy a inferior product(unless theres a serious price difference)

farmerjj wrote: »
    That would be a big considerion for me, why buy a inferior product(unless theres a serious price difference)

How do you know it an inferior product, will you buy painted or galvanised RSJ's. Will you bolt or weld to structural steel. You have to remember 700 euro here, 50 euro there, own labour to do some concrete work is difference between shed costing 25K and 40K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

anyone ever use Maxwell slats from outside Mullingar

know 2 lads who bought them in the last 2 years and had a lad here last week from galway area and said he bought them and so did about 6 neighbour's. were cheaper than anyone else and also had loads in stock so were not "fresh"

btw - no business or personal connection

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Has anyone ever seen the process for making slats. Was it wet or dry cast? Hown much steel and what size do they use?

Advertisement