Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Straw hat/small head!!

• 11-09-2019 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I bought a lovely straw hat for my holidays, but it would appear that I have a small head as it's very loose and comes down too far.
    Are there strips of fabric that can be bought and attached to the inside or what can be done to make it fit better?
    A problem I never thought I'd have. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Recliner wrote: »
    I bought a lovely straw hat for my holidays, but it would appear that I have a small head as it's very loose and comes down too far.
    Are there strips of fabric that can be bought and attached to the inside or what can be done to make it fit better?
    A problem I never thought I'd have. :-)

Yes, they are available and are strips of cork. I have some from Stetson. Either a shop that sells hats, or online should gave them.
    But they can only do so much. If the hat looks ok otherwise, then go for them,
    Welcome to the world of hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Same problem! I love hats and have a small head.

I get a strip of petersham ribbon (from Hickeys or any haberdashery shop) and hand stitch it onto the ribbon that already lines the interior of hat. If possible or if necessary, pleat the petersham here and there as you go. This adds quite a bit of bulk and makes the fit significantly tighter.

Sometimes putting a tighter ribbon or thong around the outside of the hat helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

I've a small head too and am always altering hats.
    Here's a hack.
    Get some thick elastic in a haberdashery store. Maybe 2 inches thick.
    Sew it inside the front (or back) of the hat. You only need maybe 4 or 5 inches in length. See diagram. I've drawn the hat in plan. Elastic to be seen from point A to B. Ensure elastic remains taut.

Advertisement