Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could this be true?

Options
  • 09-09-2019 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Recently renewed my insurance and, as usual, named my wife as a driver. They wanted to see a copy of her licence but she cannot find it. I told them this and said just move on without her - if she found it I would add it in later.

Today I got an email from them, and I quote
    "You are currently getting quite a significant discount for having a spouse on your policy. If we were to remove her you would actually be charged."

Could that be true? It seems counter-intuitive to me that they would discount a quote for having more people.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Quite normal to get a reduction on your Premium when adding another driver. Sometimes you will even get a slightly bigger reduction if you add a 3rd person.

edit; just to add. This will only apply if the additional driver is seen as having a 'safer' profile than yourself. It seems that the Actuaries figure that if the 'safer' Driver is using the Car then you, the slightly higher risk, cannot be driving it.

edit (again); Is this just a renewal with the same company. Surely they have seen a copy of your Wife's licence previously. If the saving is significant then you are obviously going to have to either find the missing licence or replace it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

No, this is a new company. To be honest she needs a new one anyway so she may as well get one now. I just felt they were talking ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

100% true two people is usually the sweet spot for the most discount I’ve found, on the third person I was just saving 10er. For the two it was close to 200 of a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's normal enough. Especially with a Male adding a Female to a policy. Some Insurers insist on it being an immediate Family member, some don't.
    Is there much of a saving when your wife is added to the Policy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

No figures given, just ' quite a significant discount '.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Doesn't your wife need to be able to produce her license on demand when driving, if stopped by a Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Try a sister, brother or ma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

blindsider wrote: »
    Doesn't your wife need to be able to produce her license on demand when driving, if stopped by a Garda?

Yes, it is the law now that you are required to have your licence with you at all times while driving. Changed a few years ago. But some guards will still allow to to produce within 10 days for some reason.

However, she can't as she lost it, so will be prosecuted if caught. OP really needs to get it sorted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement