Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IMG tags removed from PM's?

Options
  • 15-08-2019 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, was wondering why we are no longer able to send images in Private Messages? Is it due to the recent PM spam incidents? Will this be temporary?

While we've never been able to attach pics to a PM, in the past we've always been able to embed images in Private Messages, but the image icon is now missing (as below).
    Even after manually inputting the [IMG][/IMG] tags, images do not show, only the link appears.

btw - using legacy on chromebook, as always... thanks :)
    488170.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Unless you've been away for the last week, you may be aware that we have a PM spammer on the loose at the moment. They have registered thousands of accounts and sent tens of thousands of private messages of a weird nude cosplayer albino Cher lookalike.

We are trying to make their life as difficult as possible, and have put a number of measures in place. One of those measures is blocking images in private messages.

Yes, we hope it's temporary....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Hi Mr E,

I was vaguely aware of some sort of spam pm'ing, but certainly not the depth of problem you mention, :eek: wow! And since my pm's are set to private with no email notification (as Mark suggested), I was unaware of what those messages and links may've contained (glad I didnt see what you described!)

I assumed the pm image tag removal may've had something to do with it, but because linking is still available (which seems also to've been part of the spammer issue), I was unsure, so thanks for the reply Mr E.... :)

Didn't realize the spammer registered thousands of accounts :eek: nor sent tens of thousands of pm's - good Lord what a mess for the tech team to sort!

(delete my thread if you wish) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I was unaware of what those messages and links may've contained (glad I didnt see what you described!)

Ah yes. If only I could turn back time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

She was a Dead Ringer.....

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Deja Boo, this is something that we will have to review. As you say though, it is still possible to include links to images and image hosting services.

• Advertisement

As I was cleaning off an old email account, I came across one of those "hey honey" email pm notifications from that spammer, so they were even able to access closed accounts with their pm stunt. (I didn't click on the link.)

PM's in the tens of thousands still baffles me, since formerly we were limited to sending batch pms to only 5-ish at a time (or something like that).

For them to access and pm the full (and former) members list is astonishing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As I was cleaning off an old email account, I came across one of those "hey honey" email pm notifications from that spammer, so they were even able to access closed accounts with their pm stunt. (I didn't click on the link.)

PM's in the tens of thousands still baffles me, since formerly we were limited to sending batch pms to only 5-ish at a time (or something like that).

For them to access and pm the full (and former) members list is astonishing.

Attacks like these use a range of software called ratware. These tools are capable of navigating common forum webpages, and doing things like grabbing usernames/IDs to send the PMs. There's no human sitting there doing copy and paste over and over.

Some of these applications come with pre-configured targets for posts, or just go alphabetically. It's why archaeology used to get loads of spam, and the Aardvark forum came into existence.

Holy sheep, I had no idea...
    ...shows how low tech I am!

Didnae know you could even attempt to pm a closed account, but apparently an email gets dispatched regardless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Holy sheep, I had no idea...
    ...shows how low tech I am!

Didnae know you could even attempt to pm a closed account, but apparently an email gets dispatched regardless.

That's a bit surprising, since last I recall the email is removed upon closure and replaced with a hash. Might be one for the office to check and make sure.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Deja Boo,

Yes, email address is deleted upon account closure. Could you please PM me the username and email address that is linked to the account so I can look into it?

The Boards.ie memberlist is open information and perhaps this is something that should be reviewed. The person(s) in question managed to circumvent some limitations that we have in place, so we have implemented new measures now.

I didn't get a PM to my accounts :( I feel left out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement