Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paddleboading - Locations and Routes

• 08-02-2019 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Are there many paddleboarders on here?

If so can you share your favourite locations and routes?

So far I find the grand canal in kildare quite nice, and plan to do some of the liffey in the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

Got a board recently, going to try the Malahide estuary where I got a lesson previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Supcycle

Anyone fancy the deep Sinking on the royal canal. Ive never seen it from the water but it's said to be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Streetlamp

Supcycle wrote: »
    Anyone fancy the deep Sinking on the royal canal. Ive never seen it from the water but it's said to be amazing

never heard of it, where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Streetlamp wrote: »
    never heard of it, where is it?
    Between Castleknock and Clonsilla.
    Not sure where it starts and ends, but it's around that area.
    I think it's named after the fact that a passenger boat sunk there and almost 20 people drowned.

Edited
    https://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/the-royal-canal/the-sinking-of-the-longford-in-1845/
    https://www.tripsavvy.com/the-royal-canal-way-in-dublin-1542418
    Through the Deep Sinking and on Towards Leixlip

If you carry on you will pass through a suburban area and soon reach "The Deep Sinking". Here the Royal Canal is narrow and as much as 30 feet below the bridlepath, fatal for the occasional draught horse stumbling in the old days and still potentially dangerous today.

The chasm continues beyond Coolmine Station and Kirkpatrick Street. Only after Kennan Bridge will the pathway level out, become less bumpy and wider. Callaghan Bridge and Clonsilla Station are almost the last urban structures, give or take a few new estates. Because this is the beginning of the commuter belt, where Dubliners moved to a more rural home until the urban landscape, lifestyle, and problems caught up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Supcycle

Theres a YouTube video of it called "Royal Canal Dublin Ireland, The Deep Sinking"
    This is it. It looks like a cool place to paddle. I'm up for it. Rather not do it on my own tho if any of ye fancy a paddle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there's a guy setting up a paddleboarding - hire & tours in killaloe clare

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Hi all;

Just jumping into this thread rather than start a new one.

Does anyone know of SUP meet ups or groups etc.
    I am a beginner so finding it hard to get out on the water, especially by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Streetlamp

Don't know of any meetups happening in Ireland. There doesn't appear to be ny active groups on facebook or insta organising meets like in the uk.

I wouldn't be afraid of goin on your own so long as you are sensible. Canals are great as they are generally flat and have no real currents. Also the sea is good if you pick the right beach you can practice in knee deep water if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Advertisement