Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Large holes behind skirting boards

Options
  • 12-04-2021 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking to get floor and skirting tilled soon and noticed large holes behind some parts of skirting board.

The house is dry lined and it seems to have crumbled away here.

Can I just fill the holes in with some wool insulation or what would be best to use?

Pictures attached below

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if you are tiling up say 150mm as a skirting i would cut out that slab and put in a strip of concrete board. cut out a strip 140 mm so the top of the time covers the cut edge. they might need to add in some extra support between the battons to stop movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thanks PT.

I'm not much of a diy person so will ask tiler about doing that?

Would just filling in the holes with wool insulation not do much to stop draughts and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Thanks PT.

Would just filling in the holes with wool insulation not do much to stop draughts and such?

It would stop the draughts but also close the cavity and allow any moisture transfer from wall the slab. It also wont give you anything to tile onto

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks PT.

handyman tiler will do it but not a full-time tiler, some don't even grout

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How can you be a tiler and not do grouting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

looksee wrote: »

Whats a part time tiler :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

looksee wrote: »

Businesses doing commercial work with acres of tiles would have guys who tile and guys who grout.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I can see that, but thats not the same as coming to your house to tile a bathroom and saying 'you'll have to get a grouter when I've finished'!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Hi guys,

Looking to get floor and skirting tilled soon and noticed large holes behind some parts of skirting board.

The house is dry lined and it seems to have crumbled away here.

Can I just fill the holes in with some wool insulation or what would be best to use?

Pictures attached below

hi there what kind of material is the suff you have on the wall like paving?.is the wall tiled ?.

Advertisement