Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CompTIA A+

• 13-01-2021 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Is this certification only for IT professionals or can people with a non IT background do it and gain an entry level position in IT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I done this year's ago, it's tough to pass, as the pass mark is very high, I couldn't imagine it alone would land you a job, but I could be wrong, I guess it depends on what you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kodirl

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I done this year's ago, it's tough to pass, as the pass mark is very high, I couldn't imagine it alone would land you a job, but I could be wrong, I guess it depends on what you're looking for

Thanks for your comment. May I ask, for what reason did you do it and did you have an existing IT related qualification at the time? Fell free to PM me if you like. Thanks, James

kodirl wrote: »
    Thanks for your comment. May I ask, for what reason did you do it and did you have an existing IT related qualification at the time? Fell free to PM me if you like. Thanks, James

im happy enough to communicate in the open forum, if thats okay with you, it might help others? i was at a cross roads in regards a career, i think i had a cert in applied physics, an ordinary degree in engineering, maybe some minor environmental certs, and i think maybe another minor qualification in IT, i cant really remember now to be honest, when i eventually ended up trying comptia. the comptia was an interesting course, but the exam was difficult, many failed the exam, it seemed a very unfair system, some who failed were far more skilled than myself, i barely passed it. the exam was one of those online timed things with multiple choices, very confusing to be honest. i was obviously considering a career in IT, but i didnt go down that road afterwards, but i did enjoy the course, ive no idea if anyone gained employment from it, but there were people already working in the industry, doing the course, so who knows. i guess it depends what aspect of the IT industry you d like to end up in, it is a very broad industry now, so you might need to consider that, before doing courses. even though some minor courses may not result in a job, i personally really like them, as they can give you an idea of the industry, and see if its really for you, before committing to a more serious course such as a degree etc. you also get a chance to meet interesting people, some of which already work in the industry, so you can learn more, if its really for you. i think we approach education completely wrong, we have convinced ourselves, by doing courses, it must lead to employment, this is nuts in my opinion. its a learning experience, to further understanding and knowledge in a subject matter, and importantly, to meet others, and learn from them, and hopefully at the end of it all, it leads to employment. please be aware, its a long time ago that i done that course, that industry moves at lightening speed, so it has probably changed a hell of a lot now. one of the main reasons why i walked away from the industry is the fact, you may have to continually be doing courses, in order to maintain your position, and to be honest, lifes too short in my opinion, but i appreciate, some folks love that, and so be it. hopefully professionals from the industry may respond, that ll give you far more up to date info for you. its good to see you re considering it, many have created very successful careers from it, best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Na it's not that hard and yes people with non IT experience can do it. Be a good idea to know how to turn on a computer do and some basic computer work. I done it over 6 months and passed it. It was more like a memory test do. There is a lot in it including some physical work like we took the computers apart and put them back together and it had to be done over a certain time but its passable if you put the work in. I would say maybe you would get a basic IT job out of it but might be best to do more IT courses after it.
    Maybe mister genius above found the exam difficult because he had too much on his mind. I found it quiet easy and multiple choice makes it easier if you have learned what you needed to know or memorized as much as you can.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Na it's not that hard and yes people with non IT experience can do it. Be a good idea to know how to turn on a computer do and some basic computer work. I done it over 6 months and passed it. It was more like a memory test do. There is a lot in it including some physical work like we took the computers apart and put them back together and it had to be done over a certain time but its passable if you put the work in. I would say maybe you would get a basic IT job out of it but might be best to do more IT courses after it.
    Maybe mister genius above found the exam difficult because he had too much on his mind. I found it quiet easy and multiple choice makes it easier if you have learned what you needed to know or memorized as much as you can.

the internet certainly brings out the arseholes, you re coming across rather narcissistic there now! memory issues are common in society, particularly with my own disorders, rote learning is an astonishly sh!t method of learning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kodirl

Thank you for your very detailed response and insight.

kodirl wrote:
    Thank you for your very detailed response and insight.

No problem at all, hopefully more will respond, preferably people working in the industry. it certainly sounds like you can create a nice career in it, I know a young chap that is a coder, he's exceptional at his job, he should have great opportunities available to him soon, he's been based in start ups, and it sounds like really nice working environments, they've been really looking after him well, allowing him to work from home throughout covid, he said they're can be a lot of pressure at deadline times, but that's normal, but generally it sounds very laid back.

Some of the best IT folks I've met have actually had little or no formal education, they're just naturally gifted, two lads I can think of, both really good hackers and crackers, one made a very good career out of it, the other unfortunately probably never will. That chap has since left the industry for something completely different, he has astonish technical skills, one of the best I've met, id imagine he's still tipping away at stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Just a little over five years in IT and I am studying this at the moment.

Some of it is very basics, other parts quite technical.

Somethings I did not know about so immediately helped with my day to day job.

You can just aim to pass the exam or like me try gain some knowledge.

If it's entry level IT, then this cert will really help you in the sense you would have an idea of where to troubleshoot issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭irbx

Hi all

Ecollage are doing this Course and other IT related courses free of charge under the Government Scheme. This is online and in your own time with Virtual Labs, Mock Questions and Exam Voucher for the test ( Testing is current done online with Person Vue online). You do need to be self-motivated to go through the content so not everyone's cup of TEA. But for Free nice to track on to your CV

They do other courses as well IT related and Office courses in world /excel and ICDL.

I have done Comptia Security and Cisco CCNA with them in the last 12 months.

You can also search for Government Funded Course on this site as well. But part payment might be required for some.

Hope it help someone

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tried it last year and found it very hard, a lot of information to memorize

• Advertisement
Advertisement