Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

April was surely the driest April in a long time at a host of stations... Dublin Airport 10.8mm, Dunsany 11.8, even Sherkin Island 13.5. Johnstown had 3.1 until the 28th.

Driest since 2017 at Dublin Apt (10.0mm), driest since 2007 at Dunsany (8.9mm), driest on available record at Sherkin Island (1972) and driest on record at Johnstown Castle (1941) which ended with approximately 15.1mm as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Grass minima this morning were as low as -7 aT Oak Park and -6 at Casement and Mullingar. Technically they're figures for May, so I wonder what the record is.

https://meteologix.com/ie/observations/ireland/soil-temperature-min/20210501-0600z.html

Impressive but I don't thinik all that unusual. Casement at least recorded similar grass mins values in mid May just last year.

A 'Yesterday's Weather' report from Met Eireann for May 14th 2020:

X4RWFzc.png

Just looking at there historical data archive. The lowest May grass min recorded (at 9am) at that station was -7.2c back in May 1982.

Edit: lowest Casement Gm value should read -7.4c (on May 8th 1982) and not the -7.2c I stated above.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

appledrop wrote: »
    Once its past 00.00 it is classed as 1st May.

-3 occurred at 5.30am Friday the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As I said last week I feel like I'm in a different country to most on here at the moment. It was a completely unremarkable April around here, cold, lots of cloud and plenty of showery days including hail and sleet this past week

Cold and showery again this morning

ECM Monday, snow accumulation possible in the NW if you believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    -3 occurred at 5.30am Friday the 30th.

Ah right, but it was cold last night aswell. Maybe not as cold but got down to -2.

Ah right, but it was cold last night aswell. Maybe not as cold but got down to -2.

Yes not quite as cold last night but still very cold for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Yes not quite as cold last night but still very cold for May.

It's already been a frostier May here than February as February 2021 had no air frosts here :P

The last stats update I gave was rushed so I missed a few things, here are the final stats for April in my area:
    Highest temperature: 16.3c (April 26th)
    Lowest temperature: -3.8c (April 10th)
    Mean temperature: 7.0c
    Rainfall: 14.3mm; Wettest day: 2.4mm (April 12th)
    Days with falling snow: 4 (April 5th/6th/10th/11th)
    Days with air frosts: 14 (April 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/9th/10th/11th/15th/16th/17th/23rd/26th/30th)

For comparison, February 2021 had a mean temperature of 6.9c. January 2021 had 10 air frosts while December 2020 had 9.

Heard that the UK, or at least, the central England region, recorded it's coolest April since 1986. Here in Ireland, not quite so dramatic and looking at stats going back to the mid-70s, April 2021 only goes down as being the 13th coolest in this series.

cZbC1d3.png

But that does not tell the whole story. The bulk of April's coolness came from abnormally cool nights rather than low maxima, resulting in a national mean minima of just 3.4c, which is the 4th lowest since 1974. 1986, as would be expected, holds the lowest April mean minima value of just 1.9c.

Data: Met Eireann.

New Moon

In Norn Iron, it was the coolest April (6.5c) since 2016 (6.3c) and on par with 2013.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/datasets/Tmean/date/Northern_Ireland.txt

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    And thought I'd try and capture the Mayo mountains from this great distance. Pretty rubbish shot but I think this may be the same range that Goldfinch often captures in his/her far more beautiful shots:

I am humbled by your very kind words Oneiric. I am also most interested to see the Mayo mountains from a different perspective than I normally would see them, so thank you for sharing that picture.

It has been interesting reading the reports from posters around the country over the past week or two and comparing them to the weather that we have experienced near Castlebar during that period. I think that we have had more than decent weather during the past 10 days or so.
    Last weekend was fantastic weather wise in these parts and even though it has become noticeably cooler this week, we still have had plenty of blue skies and sunshine. We have had a number of clear, crisp mornings that were then followed by some beautiful Spring evenings with golden sunshine to round off the day.
    Over the last couple of days as showers bubbled up around the country, we ended up missing the majority of them as they tended to develop not far from here and then drift off to the south or further inland.
    Today was another dry and largely bright day in this area and I have found it a great period to get outside work done.
    I suppose on the flip side, we have had a fair amount of night time frosts that have been quite hard on some seedlings and tender plants if not protected. Grass growth is noticeably down this week and I am sure it is a concern to farmers. The ground is very hard and I have noticed a good few local streams and rivers starting to run at quite low levels.
    For me though, the evening light has been quite some thing at times this week and even though the temperature fairly drops as the sun dips towards the western horizon, some of the sunsets and late evening skies will leave some nice memories.

The last sunset of April 2021
    attachment.php?attachmentid=552027&stc=1&d=1619909348

Nice post sunset colours as seen from the banks of the River Moy this week.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=552028&stc=1&d=1619909388

The last golden rays of the setting sun illuminates some tree tops as a faint rainbow seemed to disappear into a gap in the clouds.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=552029&stc=1&d=1619909388

Artane2002 wrote: »
    It's already been a frostier May here than February as February 2021 had no air frosts here :P

The last stats update I gave was rushed so I missed a few things, here are the final stats for April in my area:
    Highest temperature: 16.3c (April 26th)
    Lowest temperature: -3.8c (April 10th)
    Mean temperature: 7.0c
    Rainfall: 14.3mm; Wettest day: 2.4mm (April 12th)
    Days with falling snow: 4 (April 5th/6th/10th/11th)
    Days with air frosts: 14 (April 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/9th/10th/11th/15th/16th/17th/23rd/26th/30th)

For comparison, February 2021 had a mean temperature of 6.9c. January 2021 had 10 air frosts while December 2020 had 9.

Mad. I see Dublin airport also had 14 air frosts for April which is exceptional for the time of year.

It was -4.5 at Katesbridge 01/05/21 early am.

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    I am also most interested to see the Mayo mountains from a different perspective than I normally would see them, so thank you for sharing that picture.

Stunning pics as always Goldfinch. And a beautiful part of the country you live in. Living in NE Galway, we have no great hills here to look at but when the air is clear & dry we can get a good view of the Mayo mountains in the distance. They are best observed in the morning when the sun is illuminating them on 'our side' of view. And in the winter, when they are covered in snow under a rare clear blue morning sky, they take on an otherworldly appearance. My grandfather used to say that when you see the first snows of winter on those far off mountains, then it was only a matter of time before that snow arrived here. Old local wisdom, but more than a grain of truth to it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It's been a lovely day in West Cork. Sun shining and warm. Wind isn't very strong and all the beaches are dead calm, little to no waves which is rare! Sparkling in the sun as well. Plenty of people walking around.

Dark clouds lingering to the North West all day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wind rising out here after a calm day. A bucket just flew past the window .

West mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭compsys

Mad. I see Dublin airport also had 14 air frosts for April which is exceptional for the time of year.

Dublin Airport also had a colder April than either February or March which must also be highly unusual.

It also ended up -2.8 below its LTA compared to Newport which was bang on average. A huge variation in one month. Surely close to a record?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Out for a quick walk earlier in what was chilly late afternoon and captured this little bugger. Haven't seen a ladybird in years so was lucky to get a shot:

Love the ladybird; thank you.. Not seen one for a long while...

Do you know the rhyme?

"ladybird, ladybird, fly away home. Your house is on fire and your children all gone.."

Lashing rain here in NCD.

I actually can't remember a day like it in months! That shows you how dry it's been in Dublin this spring.

Had a brilliant day out yesterday in Phoneix Park/Dublin Zoo. Tickets like gold dust, feel sorry for anyone who managed to get them for today.

Weather was better than forecast, we were out for 9 hours so I think we deserve to relax today!

Government really need to look at situation with public toilets if push is for people to be outdoors more. We were lucky plenty of toilets in zoo but none anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Brighter conditions have already arrived here just outside Castlebar. Still blustery however.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

awful day here in Meath, rain coming down in sheets and very gusty at times. Haven't seen a day as bad as this since at least January.

Gonzo wrote: »
    awful day here in Meath, rain coming down in sheets and very gusty at times. Haven't seen a day as bad as this since at least January.

Yea its definitely been months since a day like this.

We have been very lucky with weather this spring.

Absolutely lashing out of the heavens here at moment in NCD.

We could end up with same amount of rainfall today as we had in whole month of April at DA.

That tells you how dry April was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

We could end up with same amount of rainfall today as we had in whole month of April at DA.

That tells you how dry April was.

14.1mm here so far today, April had 14.3mm so we're close. March had 30mm so we got almost half the amount that fell that month today alone. Obviously that says more about the dry nature of spring so far rather than today being unusually wet.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    14.1mm here so far today, April had 14.3mm so we're close. March had 30mm so we got almost half the amount that fell that month today alone. Obviously that says more about the dry nature of spring so far rather than today being unusually wet.

Still lashing here so could be beaten yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

delighted with all the rain here.
    water barrels for the garden replenished
    garden given a good watering
    grass seed we put down on the farm on Thursday has had a two days with rain

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

If the models are showing cold out to the 17th May things would really want to start picking up after that. Went for a run this morning a wind that would slice you the temp was 6 degrees with a real feel of 1 degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

House been rattling with wind for a couple of days now, makes you realise how nice and calm it was for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Woke up at 530am by a heavy hailstorm. Sounded like the house was going to fall in. Was out yesterday and hands numb when I got back.

It is May, weather, you do know that?

• Advertisement

Lovely balmy May afternoon here in Galway:

fptt3lH.png

New Moon

Advertisement