Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Apprenticeship- Do apprentices get to bring vans home?

• 17-09-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I got a call from Eir and they offered me an apprenticeship a couple of weeks ago. I know they say that they supply you with a van is that just for work purposes or do you get to bring it home with you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Benefit in kind, yes you get to bring it home and use it for "reasonable" personal use, you pay for this use though, was something like 30-60eur extra in tax per month.

May have changed since on the "reasonable" term, as there are some hilarious stories of this being stretched.

Other alternative is parking it in the local exchange, and making your way to and from there, you don't pay BIK then, but can't use it for personal use.

If you bring it home, that is your start place of work, so you need to be on the road by 08.30 if working locally (certain teams may expect you to be on the road earlier), if you leave it at the exchange, you need to be on the road from there by 08.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 T_imgoneagain

arccosh wrote: »
    Benefit in kind, yes you get to bring it home and use it for "reasonable" personal use, you pay for this use though, was something like 30-60eur extra in tax per month.

May have changed since on the "reasonable" term, as there are some hilarious stories of this being stretched.

Other alternative is parking it in the local exchange, and making your way to and from there, you don't pay BIK then, but can't use it for personal use.

If you bring it home, that is your start place of work, so you need to be on the road by 08.30 if working locally (certain teams may expect you to be on the road earlier), if you leave it at the exchange, you need to be on the road from there by 08.30.

Thanks for the info. Would you also be able to tell me where my local exchange would be if I'm in North Longford?

no idea.. have a look at https://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/ click on the NGN core map and see where your exchange is.

A thing to note, in the sticks, not all exchanges are buildings, it could be a cab on the side of the road. If so, you can't safely park your van there.

A few of the apprentices in the sticks used to park in the local Area Engineering Headquarters (AEH) to them, if they couldn't park at home or if the local exchange was a cab or usually full with local tech vans if it wasn't. The AEH local to you you'll have to ask for the location.

edit: out of interest, you seem to not want to bring the van home, is that a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 T_imgoneagain

No the exact opposite. My girlfriend is looking for a car so I was hoping I could give her mine to use during the week. Just trying to cut as much cost as possible as we're trying to save for a house. I know starting an apprenticeship and trying to save for a house doesn't seem to make sense but I suppose save what you can when you can

get the van with BIK so, yes it's an additional cost, but it's taken out of your tax credits, so you don't even see it.

once you don't rip the piss, it's a lifesaver... also note, they have a tracker in them, so they can see if you do rip the piss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement