Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish AFL players

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Going to post this here on the off-chance that anyone is interested, I presume this will be ok with the mods.

Just wondering if anyone is interested in writing a weekly update on how the Irish lads playing AFL are getting on, something along the lines of what I was doing last year here:

http://www.livegaelic.com/irish-experiment/

I'm just too busy to keep it updated myself at the moment and I'm a bit sickened about it as it was a piece I found very interesting to do so it would be brilliant if anyone on here fancied taking it on even for a week or two to see how they enjoyed doing it.

If anyone would like to give it a go feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
    David

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

keane2097 wrote: »
    Going to post this here on the off-chance that anyone is interested, I presume this will be ok with the mods.

Just wondering if anyone is interested in writing a weekly update on how the Irish lads playing AFL are getting on, something along the lines of what I was doing last year here:

I'm just too busy to keep it updated myself at the moment and I'm a bit sickened about it as it was a piece I found very interesting to do so it would be brilliant if anyone on here fancied taking it on even for a week or two to see how they enjoyed doing it.

Thanks,
    David

SSK has done a few very good posts on Irish players progress. If I had more time myself I'd give a hand, but I wouldnt be reliable enough to do it every week!

My quick summary this week -

Clarke and Mooney out, and will find it hard to get back in after Collingwoods impressive win. Hanley still a star for Brisbane. McKeever not getting much of a look in. Tuohy still holding his own for Carlton. Setanta gone missing for GWS. And Tommy Walsh might just be booking his one way flight home!

Yeah he has indeed, hoping he'll bite for this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Yeah he has indeed, hoping he'll bite for this :o

I did a few pieces for an Aussie blog/feature site but the market for it wasn't great among casual Aussie readers so I packed it in.

Could you shoot me a PM with the details when you get a chance keane? Like Bruschi I'm not sure if I have time to do a weekly update but I might be able to sort something out for you. Let me know details of article size, what sort of detail you want, deadlines etc and we might be able to work something out.

SSK wrote: »
    I did a few pieces for an Aussie blog/feature site but the market for it wasn't great among casual Aussie readers so I packed it in.

Could you shoot me a PM with the details when you get a chance keane? Like Bruschi I'm not sure if I have time to do a weekly update but I might be able to sort something out for you. Let me know details of article size, what sort of detail you want, deadlines etc and we might be able to work something out.

PM sent, gimme a shout back when you get a chance, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Thanks,
    David

As was said, SSK probably has the most experience at this, but if he is too busy to do weekly articles, I don't mind helping out with brushi to fill in those gaps if needed.

Marty Clarke back in, which is a good boost for him. Tommy Walsh unsurpisingly dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

bruschi wrote: »
    Marty Clarke back in, which is a good boost for him. Tommy Walsh unsurpisingly dropped.

Clarke was one of the few Collingwood players to play well tonight. Very confident coming off half back, accurate kick too.

As was said, SSK probably has the most experience at this, but if he is too busy to do weekly articles, I don't mind helping out with brushi to fill in those gaps if needed.

I'm fine to do it for the moment anyway but will let you guys know if I can't do it at any stage, cheers.

My first article is up, just an overview of the season so far really.

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/irish-experiment/the-irish-experiment-the-2013-season-so-far/
    \

• Advertisement

My first article is up, just an overview of the season so far really.

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/irish-experiment/the-irish-experiment-the-2013-season-so-far/
    \

well written SSK, and I dont think I'd argue with anything you said either. pretty much spot on with my thoughts on them all!

Tommy Walsh is getting another chance this weekend, probably needs to put in a pretty impressive performance big time here? Tough opposition to do it against.

Tommy Walsh is getting another chance this weekend, probably needs to put in a pretty impressive performance big time here? Tough opposition to do it against.

think SSK may have mentioned it in his piece there, but Swans are missing their main full forward, and still without their big signing through suspension who will be their main target man, so this is a huge chance for Walsh. Reid is out for 4 weeks, so he could get a run of games into him. If he doesnt take advantage, I cant see him getting another shot at Sydney

Yeah like I said in the piece Walsh needs at least a passable game this week which will give him another shot next week before Tippett arrives. It'll be a tough ask as he'll probably have Carlisle on him who's in All-Australian form at the moment. Something like 10 touches, 4 marks and a goal would probably be a decent return for him.

Clarke dropped is slightly surprising but we really lack pace at the moment and Clarke in particular is very slow for the role he wants to play. He'll get back in again at some stage as his form hasn't been too bad overall.

Yeah like I said in the piece Walsh needs at least a passable game this week which will give him another shot next week before Tippett arrives. It'll be a tough ask as he'll probably have Carlisle on him who's in All-Australian form at the moment. Something like 10 touches, 4 marks and a goal would probably be a decent return for him.

I still don't think that will be enough for him. He really needs a repeat of the melbourne game last year where he clocked up 14 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles and 2 goals. So I would think he would need to be more 10/5/5/2 to be considered again. Considering his only game this year was 5/4/2/0, it requires him to nearly double his output. He needs to set more tackles and work for the ball more, as when Tippet comes back he is going to drop to 2nd, most likely 3rd choice tall. If he can show a bit more of a work rate, he might warrant a place at HB.
    Longmire said he hoped that Walsh, who kicked seven goals in the NEAFL last weekend and was among the Swans reserves’ best, would take his opportunities up forward this weekend.

“We just want Tommy (Walsh) to really compete for us and to give us a target up in our front half and to make sure that he brings the ball to the deck and allow our smaller blokes to get after it,” he said.

“That’s essentially what we ask of all our key position players, to make sure they compete and provide a real target for us in our front half.”

Right after he talked up how essential Sam Reid was to the team. Sounds like Tommy is really on his las toppurtunity now, so if he doesn't step up in the next two games, he might not get a call up again.

Walsh done for the year. Sounds like a shocking injury, something similar to what Riewoldt did a few years ago when he tore his hamstring off the bone.

He has another year left on his contract as far as I know (signed for 3 years from the Saints) but it's going to be a serious struggle for him to pick it up again after such a long lay off.

Walsh done for the year. Sounds like a shocking injury, something similar to what Riewoldt did a few years ago when he tore his hamstring off the bone.

He has another year left on his contract as far as I know (signed for 3 years from the Saints) but it's going to be a serious struggle for him to pick it up again after such a long lay off.

Will be a big call for him now wether to try and come back from this. POor start with St kilda's trying to get to grips with the game, and he has been unlucky at Sydney, trying to develop the key forward role and having the operation on his shoulder slowing his progress. This latest injury now has finished him with the Swans it would seem. If he has any future in the AFL he will have to look elsewhere. But given the injuries he is picking up he might just think it better to return home and play inter-county again.

Will be a big call for him now wether to try and come back from this. POor start with St kilda's trying to get to grips with the game, and he has been unlucky at Sydney, trying to develop the key forward role and having the operation on his shoulder slowing his progress. This latest injury now has finished him with the Swans it would seem. If he has any future in the AFL he will have to look elsewhere. But given the injuries he is picking up he might just think it better to return home and play inter-county again.

He is contracted for 2014 so I would guess that assuming his recuperation goes well that he will give it another shot next year. I genuinely think that he is very close to putting it all together, the run of games he may have gotten in the next few weeks could have been the making of him.

If you consider that the Swans are getting pretty much All Australian form out of Mike Pyke at 29, I think they'll be willing to be patient with Walsh.

When I talked to him around Xmas he said he wasn't committed to seeing out the contract, that a lot would depend how the year went for him. Torn between wanting him back playing football and obviously wanting him to do brilliantly over there. Sickened at this latest injury anyway.

Also, SSK has done another great article if ye want to take a look:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/irish-experiment/the-irish-experiment-afl-weekend-review/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

Setanta released last week lads, what did ye make of that? Will some other club pick him up or has he come to the end of his AFL road.

dahayeser wrote: »
    Setanta released last week lads, what did ye make of that? Will some other club pick him up or has he come to the end of his AFL road.

if the worst team in the league cant accommodate him, then I see absolutely no hope. Has had 2 bad knee injuries, and in AFL terms is pretty old, and being less than average, I think his playing days in the AFL are well over.

bruschi wrote: »
    if the worst team in the league cant accommodate him, then I see absolutely no hope. Has had 2 bad knee injuries, and in AFL terms is pretty old, and being less than average, I think his playing days in the AFL are well over.

Good summary Bruschi and exactly how I see it. Unfortunately he did his knee at the worst possible time and given his age it's 99% certain that its the end of the road.

I reckon he'll stay in Sydney in a promotional role with the Giants, as well as his ambassadorial job with the AFL.

I'll have the first of my 2 part Irish player review of the 2013 season up tomorrow all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

Good summary Bruschi and exactly how I see it. Unfortunately he did his knee at the worst possible time and given his age it's 99% certain that its the end of the road.

I reckon he'll stay in Sydney in a promotional role with the Giants, as well as his ambassadorial job with the AFL.

I'll have the first of my 2 part Irish player review of the 2013 season up tomorrow all going well.

Great, always enjoy reading it.

On Setanta, that is pretty much what I thought. Is there a sense that he never fulfilled his potential? He started a couple of seasons superbly before fading completely. To a novice like myself it seems he had the tools but a combination of injuries and probably confidence prevented him from fulfilling his potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Niall McKeever cut by the Lions.

dahayeser wrote: »
    Great, always enjoy reading it.

On Setanta, that is pretty much what I thought. Is there a sense that he never fulfilled his potential? He started a couple of seasons superbly before fading completely. To a novice like myself it seems he had the tools but a combination of injuries and probably confidence prevented him from fulfilling his potential.

being honest, I really dont think so. I dont think he had much potential. he was a big athlete that had decent co ordination from his hurling ability. But I didnt think he was ever in the same category as the likes of Kennelly, Clarke, Hanley etc who were promising players able to play. Setanta was a big lad who was like a sculptors dream to try and mould into a player. But I think he fulfilled any potential he had, I dont think he had any more in him. Injuries didnt help, but he was every only a stop gap solution for clubs and was never going to be a key player in any sense.

a shame about McKeever, but not altogether surprising. I'd say that'll be him finished in AFL now too, unless he could manage something with GWS, but would highly doubt it.

A bit later than advertised but here's part 1 of my season review. I'll cover the remaining players next week

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/irish-experiment/the-irish-experiment-afl-season-recap/

And the final installment of my 2013 season reviews. Cheers to all who read them!

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/irish-experiment/irish-experiment-afl-season-recap-part-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kildare's Daniel Flynn has joined Port.

(Thread title renamed for accuracy)

• Advertisement

After killing it during the AFL Combine. Top 5 in most of the running categories and did as well as most of the Aussies in the skills (kicking and handball tests) A very exciting prospect on this basis and on his form with Kildare this year

Advertisement