Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish AFL players

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've done a little update of how some of the Irish players have been getting on over the last couple of weeks here if anybody is interested:

http://www.livegaelic.com/irish-experiment/the-irish-experiment-15082012/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

keane2097 wrote: »
    I've done a little update of how some of the Irish players have been getting on over the last couple of weeks here if anybody is interested:

http://www.livegaelic.com/irish-experiment/the-irish-experiment-15082012/

Pretty well-informed and thorough piece, good stuff.

Cheers! As I said in the article we've been a bit crap at maintaining the column when the GAA was in full throttle mode but I'll look to be a bit more regular with it from here till the end of the season.

We'll be looking to do a couple of interviews with Caolan and Tommy in the next while as well so let me know if there's any questions you'd be interested in having answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

any truth in the rumor that Hanley is returning to play inter-county Gaelic Football with Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

any truth in the rumor that Hanley is returning to play inter-county Gaelic Football with Mayo?

Doubt that. He's been one of Brisbane best players this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Paul Cribbin cut by Collingwood

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

How long has he been out there? Is he the Kidare lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

manlad wrote: »
    Doubt that. He's been one of Brisbane best players this year

He's contracted with Brisbane until at least 2013, possibly even longer than that (they didn't release the duration of the contract he signed last year) and my guess is that with the amount of salary cap space they have, particularly when they ship out a couple of senior players this year, they will throw substantial wads of cash at him to keep him down under. He'll be top 5 in the Lions' best and fairest again this year without doubt.

I doubt we'll see him in the green and red until the tail end of his career, which is a pity for Mayo as he would be good enough to get them over the line to an All Ireland IMO.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Paul Cribbin cut by Collingwood

I'm slightly surprised at this to be honest, he has been much improved in the reserves this year by all accounts and has been in the best players regularly over the last few weeks. Just lacks that little bit to make it as an AFL player unfortunately but his return will do a hell of a lot more for Kildare football than Seanie Johnson, he's an extremely natural talent.

This was his second season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Tommy Walsh named to play for Sydney. Good time to be breaking in, altho will find it tough playing Geelong. Opposite for Clarke, who isnt even named in the Pies emergencies, especially after he nullified Stanton (or was it Watson) in their last outing v Essendon. Tuohy and Hanley both are keeping up with excellent seasons in being virtually starters in every game.

Great for Tommy but hardly the best opposition to build up your confidence. On the other hand a big performance and he could have a lot to gain with the finals just around the corner.

• Advertisement

Ciaran Kilkenny has officially signed for Hawthorn today, good club to be at.

Did an interview with Tommy for LiveGaelic if anyone's interested.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Did an interview with Tommy for LiveGaelic if anyone's interested.

Nice interview mate. With Tippett arriving he will find it even more difficult to get a game, tough gig really because he probably deserved a few more opportunities than he got last year.

Ciaran Kilkenny has officially signed for Hawthorn today, good club to be at.

That didn't last long, heading home already.

That didn't last long, heading home already.

Jeez, I understand he's a young guy and it's tough moving to the other side of the world but surely he could have stayed on bit longer and given it a right go. If nothing else he would have learned a huge amount about professional sports training and diet, strength and conditioning etc that he could take back to GAA.

jackbhoy wrote: »

Jeez, I understand he's a young guy and it's tough moving to the other side of the world but surely he could have stayed on bit longer and given it a right go. If nothing else he would have learned a huge amount about professional sports training and diet, strength and conditioning etc that he could take back to GAA.

I thought the same but the heads in the GAA forum think he gave it long enough if he didn't like it.

I disagree, he should have at least waited until he played a few competitive VFL games and got a proper feel for the whole thing. Especially when he said Aussie Rules was an ambition of his since 14.

I thought the same but the heads in the GAA forum think he gave it long enough if he didn't like it.

I disagree, he should have at least waited until he played a few competitive VFL games and got a proper feel for the whole thing. Especially when he said Aussie Rules was an ambition of his since 14.

I think the way I'd look at it is that of a 19 year old who hasnt long finished school and moved to Australia. I know plenty in a similar situation who just didnt take to the move and came home after a couple of months. It seems it was just that for Kilkenny, doesnt really seem to be that he couldnt hack the game or felt he had tried enough of it, just he basically missed home and wanted to go back.

Everyone is different, I know if I had his ability and the opportunity you wouldnt see me for dust and I'd be out there long time, but everyone is different and take to things differently. He went at least, and whilst it wasnt really long enough to get a full idea, if there was a seed of doubt that big in his mind, it would be doubtful things would get any better for him. A shame really, would like to have seen how he went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

There may have been a bit of homesickness about it, but i would have assumed it was morre to do with the heat and more physicality. No doubt he is a great footballer, but I would have thought more of the guy if he just came out and said it was very hard to adapt to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It takes a lot of guts to admit you've made the wrong choice. This is the bravest choice you can make, continuing with something that isnt for you because of expectations of others or the potential money isn't something you'd wish on anyone. You have to remember he grew up dreaming of winning All-Irelands with Dublin and with Castleknock, not playing a new sport half way around the world.

That Castleknock find themselves in the junior AISF and the Dublin u21s are gearing up to defend their AI title surely played a role in his decision.

It's a blow for Irish fans of Aussie Rules but the lad made the choice that'll make him happiest and few can argue with that. His statement was one of the most honest and classy I've ever read and to try to question his motivations is laughable in how much being away from everything you've ever known effects you. Were players able to stay at home and play Aussie Rules there would be far more players successful at it because they'd still have a safety net. The differences in the codes and in terms of training pale in comparision to outside factors.

What it does say is how much passion the likes of Kennelly, Hanley and Walsh have had for the sport to get where they are. Ciaran isn't deminished by his decision, but the others are enhanced by comparison.

One can only presume he was very homesick. However staying in Ireland it is likely he will pick up a scholarship from one of the universities in Dublin. Staying in Oz there is no guarantee he will make it big and the salary out there is not huge unless you make it big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

One can only presume he was very homesick. However staying in Ireland it is likely he will pick up a scholarship from one of the universities in Dublin. Staying in Oz there is no guarantee he will make it big and the salary out there is not huge unless you make it big.

He's going to be resuming his Arts course at UCD from what I read. The reality is he could well end up making even more money when you couple a career and still playing sport, nevermind having the comforts of home, AFL money is good but we're not talking about NFL or EPL salary scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

So there will be 7 Irish Players on the Lists for 2013:

Pearce Hanley [22 games; RD AV: 82.55; DT POS: 64]
    Niall McKeever [9 games; RD AV: 43.33; DT POS: 472]
    Zach Tuohy [19 games; RD AV: 46.37; DT POS: 329]
    Martin Clarke [17 games; RD AV: 62.82; DT POS: 254]
    Caolan Mooney (Rookie List) [4 games; RD AV: 16.00; DT POS: 615]
    Setanta O'hAilpin [1 games; RD AV: 34.00; DT POS: 644]
    Tommy Walsh [3 games; RD AV: 37.67; DT POS: 608]

I have put they're DT stats for 2012 as well because I think it should be noted how well Pearce Hanley did last year. 64 overall and 6th best Defender!

didnt realise the Giants had an Irishborn player on their list. I suppose as he wasnt brought from here it slipped under the radar, but we'll consider him one of ours anyway!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-02/debutant-an-irishman-to-the-corr

IRISH-born debutant Aidan Corr will replace Greater Western Sydney co-captain Phil Davis in the backline for this week's clash with Essendon at Etihad Stadium.

A Tyrone boy from Coalisland, think he moved over very young though. I would guess he's related in some way to the Corrs who played with Tyrone in the 80s and 90s.

SSK wrote: »
    A Tyrone boy from Coalisland, think he moved over very young though. I would guess he's related in some way to the Corrs who played with Tyrone in the 80s and 90s.

Thank jebus for that, I thought he might be related to this lad:

jimcorr.png

Pretty harsh on Setanta.

I'm sorry but that article is pretty garbage for a couple of reasons:

1) There's seven Irish players in the AFL at present. How hard is it to get the names right - Its Niall, not Brian McKeever.

2) Setanta has played over 80 games of AFL footy, way above the average for players entering the league, particularly from a non-footy background. From all accounts he is massively popular within the playing group up in GWS and has been taking on a developmental role with their young players alongside his playing duties. He did his ACL last year, hence all the time on the physio table. And he is also an AFL multicultural ambassador. That's a fine career in anyone's book (he would also be the second best tall forward on Carlton's list still IMO, after a proper sicknote Waite)

3) The AFL clubs will still come after the top level of talent. The cost isn't that much higher than the regular Australian draftee and the top teams can easily absorb that. We may not see the same numbers but the will always be a club willing to take a chance on a Kilkenny type player. From what I hear, Ciaran Byrne of Louth will be heading to Carlton next year and a number of clubs are still trying to lure Jack McCaffrey over.

4) The economic issue is a red herring and has nothing to do with the AFL really. Average club players are moving because they have no jobs and whether they end up playing aussie rules over here is irrelevant. The odds of one of the Irish Warriors developing enough to even make it to VFL level are prtty miniscule, let alone the big leagues.

5) Caolan Mooney is indeed still on the Collingwood rookie list but played 4 games as a first year player in a top 4 team. An achievement which is massive in its own right but overlooked completely to suit the negative tone of the article.

I hate to be harsh like this because I love to see the AFL covered in mainstream Irish media but when its misinformed stuff it just leads to continued ignorant opinions being spouted by the average Joe on the street. Pearce Hanley is one of Ireland's premier sportspeople now but his achievements will be continually overlooked if the same mistrusting attitude remains prevelant among the Irish media and by extension the Irish public.

I might try resurrecting my Irish Experiment column on LiveGaelic, had a lot more time on my hands last year!

• Advertisement

Caolan Mooney has been upgraded from the rookie list and will play against Freo for the Pies on Saturday. Delighted :D

He was electric in the VFL last week and kicked 5 goals, made 5 tackles and took a couple of cracking marks. Highlights below.

Advertisement