Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Looks like Irish airspace will open for a few US flights tomorrow , mainly to get planes back to base I would think

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271354037.png

Or else to get Aer Lingus onto the Boston - Bordeaux route next week and then they can take the Roscoff ferry to Cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just one plane in the air over the UK at the moment, a small CL601 from the Natural Environment Research Council investigating the ash cloud.

You can see it here : http://www.radar-virtuel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Another little update from met eireann:
    20:09 Gerard Fleming of Met Éireann says high pressure in the northwest is directing the ash towards Ireland - he does not see the weather pattern changing within the next few days

On the other hand, forecasters in the UK are saying a slight change in wind direction should see the dust cloud move more easterly.

However I'm guessing the range of areas affected may not change much given how wide a net this thing seems to cast (e.g. with France closing airports today even though it wasn't really near the main areas of dust).

UK air traffic ban extended until 13:00 tomorrow at the earliest.

UK air traffic ban extended until 13:00 tomorrow at the earliest.

To put more colour on that, flights between NI and Scotland may be permitted. They also say, however, that "the situation cannot be said to be improving with any certainty", with an eye on their next update at 2:30am (which will advise on the situation up to 6pm tommorrow).
    The cloud of volcanic ash continues to cover much of the UK. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 1300 (UK time) tomorrow, Friday 16 April, at the earliest.

However, flights from Northern Ireland and the Western Isles of Scotland to and from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Prestwick may be allowed in the period from 0100 (UK time) to 1300 (UK time) tomorrow subject to individual co-ordination. North Atlantic traffic to and from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Prestwick and Belfast may also be allowed in the period.

We will review further Met Office information and at 0230 (UK time) tomorrow we will advise the arrangements that will be in place through to 1800 (UK time) tomorrow. However be aware that the situation cannot be said to be improving with any certainty as the forecast affected area appears to be closing in from east to west. We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Some snaps taken this evening at sunset.

P1010601.jpg

P1010602.jpg

P1010611.jpg

P1010617.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Noticed kind of a dust on the car there a while ago, maybe its just from the road, i never looked for dust before on it, but i wud say its possible some has drifted over here to donegal??

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just one plane in the air over the UK at the moment, a small CL601 from the Natural Environment Research Council investigating the ash cloud.

You can see it here : http://www.radar-virtuel.com/

Last flight out of Heathrow to land soon in California according to that site when you put the filter on

@lord lucan, nice pictures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The volcanic activity said to be intensifying - RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Does anybody know whether or not Met or any other body would be looking into the changes in weather today given the lack of contrails in the skies?

They did in the US during 9/11 when flights were grounded

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »

Might be relaying this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100415/wl_nm/us_iceland_volcano
    REYKJAVIK (Reuters) – A volcanic eruption in Iceland, which has thrown up a 6-km (3.7 mile) high plume of ash and disrupted air traffic across northern Europe, has grown more intense, an expert said on Thursday.

The eruption under the Eyjafjallajokull glacier continued to spew large amounts of ash and smoke into the air and showed no signs of abating after 40 hours of activity, said Pall Einarsson, a geophysicist at the University of Iceland.

"The seismographs are showing that since this morning the intensity of the eruption seems to be growing," he said.

Hot fumes had melted up to a third of the glacial ice covering the crater, causing a nearby river to burst its banks, and frequent explosions on the floor of the crater sounded like bombs going off, he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Does anybody know whether or not Met or any other body would be looking into the changes in weather today given the lack of contrails in the skies?

They did in the US during 9/11 when flights were grounded
    I am sure someone is checking. If memory serves me right they proved that during the 9/11 shutdown global warming went into reverse for a the short period of time that the planes were grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Min wrote: »

Nothing to do with the plume direction though. Flights will go from NI to Scotland from 1AM and the plume is moving eastwards according to Eurocontrol.

As time goes on it appears the 1PM deadline will allow people to fly. How limited that is we don't know. My flight is booked for 8:40PM but I could be put into a lengthy queue with the backlog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I'm supposed to be going to Dubai on Tuesday:( The upper winds become more direct towards us over the weekend and Monday, so if she keeps puking out shíte then we could be looking at the longest disruption in living memory, longer than 9/11.

Someone go up there and pour a load of Milk of Magnesia down her, it can't hurt!

10041900_1512.gif

Nothing to do with the plume direction though. Flights will go from NI to Scotland from 1AM and the plume is moving eastwards according to Eurocontrol.

As time goes on it appears the 1PM deadline will allow people to fly. How limited that is we don't know. My flight is booked for 8:40PM but I could be put into a lengthy queue with the backlog.

How does that work anyway? Are you sure you'd be bumped for other passengers? Do passengers who had flights cancelled not have to take the next available seat? Your booked seat isn't available to them...I don't think.

I wouldn't be entirely sure about the way this thing will move or its repercussions for flights yet. If there is a reprieve as the high pressure moves more east it mightn't be very long lived looking at the forecast...airflow is to go more northerly again over the weekend, bringing air right down from iceland (according to the bit in the news report). If that were the case and the volcano was still erupting at that point there might only be a window of opportunity for flights if the dust moves sufficiently east in the shorter term. Whether it moves east 'enough' is another question too - a fairly wide area of proximity around the dust has been affected today so...it may go more east, but will it go east enough to open flights into London and the continent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

No they will probably extend that deadline because it is still spitting out ash... volcanoes erupt all the time why don't they do this then?

LookingFor wrote: »
    How does that work anyway? Are you sure you'd be bumped for other passengers? Do passengers who had flights cancelled not have to take the next available seat? Your booked seat isn't available to them...I don't think.

I've no idea. I'm flying home with Ryanair so there's no point in even trying to ask them. I would assume my seat is safe regardless and extra flights will be booked overnight on typically quiet times.

The benefit of Ryanair is they've no regard for safety and will dump a plane in the sky regardless so I'll get home grand. I've no fear of flying so I'd pay for them to get to 30,000ft to wreck the engines and glide back to Dublin :D
    I wouldn't be entirely sure about the way this thing will move or its repercussions for flights yet. If there is a reprieve as the high pressure moves more east it mightn't be very long lived looking at the forecast...airflow is to go more northerly again over the weekend, bringing air right down from iceland (according to the bit in the news report). If that were the case and the volcano was still erupting at that point there might only be a window of opportunity for flights if the dust moves sufficiently east in the shorter term. Whether it moves east 'enough' is another question too - a fairly wide area of proximity around the dust has been affected today so...it may go more east, but will it go east enough to open flights into London and the continent?

I'm going by what the UK air traffic guys and Eurocontrol are saying. They reckon the plume is moving easterly and flights can resume (all flights) at 1PM tomorrow. UK air traffic guys (NATS) put out a statement saying they "should" be able to allow flights at 1PM. Their info comes from weather and the plane they sent up to check the ash at 8PM. They're allowing flights from NI to Scotland from 1AM which is a good sign.

I have a feeling that they may allow flights to pass into/out of UK airspace at low altitudes since the dangerous ash is at about 30,000ft and planes can fly at decent speed at only 3,000ft. Easy work for domestic flights and ones going to/from Ireland.

It's all very wishy-washy with info but I'm holding onto my hope :)

owenc wrote: »
    No they will probably extend that deadline because it is still spitting out ash... volcanoes erupt all the time why don't they do this then?

Looking at the charts from the site Su_Campu's chart comes from, there might be a window where things are OK at some point tomorrow and for a time on Sat. Maybe. But I dunno if dust will be sufficiently dispersed in that time.

However if those forecasts are right it means we're screwed again totally after Sat, perhaps worse than today even. The airflow on Sunday is dragging straight down from Iceland over Ireland and the UK in those charts. If the volcano were also still erupting it would be a bad combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

owenc wrote: »
    i dont give a **** what you lot think i can report you. You cant get me banned this time.

Owen you really are one angry 14 year old :D

Hope you look back at these posts in years ahead and laugh your head off :)

They reckon the plume is moving easterly and flights can resume (all flights) at 1PM tomorrow. UK air traffic guys (NATS) put out a statement saying they "should" be able to allow flights at 1PM.

They didn't quite say that unfortunately (at least not on their site's statement). They simply said flights were to be grounded til 1pm at the earliest. Further, they actually sounded kind of pessimistic about the next update which would revise the advisory up to 6pm tomorrow.

http://www.nats.co.uk/
    The cloud of volcanic ash continues to cover much of the UK. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 1300 (UK time) tomorrow, Friday 16 April, at the earliest.
    We will review further Met Office information and at 0230 (UK time) tomorrow we will advise the arrangements that will be in place through to 1800 (UK time) tomorrow. However be aware that the situation cannot be said to be improving with any certainty as the forecast affected area appears to be closing in from east to west.

The pocket around NI and Scotland might enlarge overnight and into tomorrow as those airs drag further east, but whether they'll drag far enough to bring London back into the picture...I dunno. We'll see I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

In south east Galway and there is grey ash on my car now

They didn't quite say that unfortunately (at least not on their site's statement). They simply said flights were to be grounded til 1pm at the earliest. Further, they actually sounded kind of pessimistic about the next update which would revise the advisory up to 6pm tomorrow.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

The pocket around NI and Scotland might enlarge overnight and into tomorrow as those airs drag further east, but whether they'll drag far enough to bring London back into the picture...I dunno. We'll see I guess.

Haven't been looking at the web presence, just have BBC News 24 (freeview in the UK is great :D) on and this is what they've been reporting with NATS dudes and some volcanic expert man.

Worth noting they say they'll review again at 6PM... at which point I'll probably be winging my way into Gatwick. I suspect I'll either be overwhelmed with joy or bitterly, bitterly upset.

From Icelandic news.....

Breaking news: Another large flood, evacuation ordered

Posted on 15 April 2010.

Flood waters are striking the Fljotshlid area near the Eyjafjallajokull glacier. This flood is said to be much bigger and faster than yesterday’s and people in that area of South Iceland are being told to evacuate immediately.

The flood water contains large chunks of ice and roads and bridges south of the glacier are in serious danger of destruction.

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2010/04/15/breaking-news-another-large-flood-evacuation-ordered/

Worth noting they say they'll review again at 6PM... at which point I'll probably be winging my way into Gatwick. I suspect I'll either be overwhelmed with joy or bitterly, bitterly upset.

Next review will be at 2:30am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

alibabba wrote: »

I dont know how people down south and in the south of england are reporting ash when according to the sat the cloud isnt even in england yet people must be seeing things? or am i looking at wrong thing.

Next review will be at 2:30am.

Yeah but from 2:30AM to 1PM and on to 6PM anything can change. 6PM is the most relevant update for me. They could easily allow flights at 1PM and stop them at 6PM

alibabba wrote: »

Pics? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Well it's become the most famous Icelandic spewing hot ash since Björk, but I've yet to hear anyone make a stab at prononuncing the fecking thing....so finally, here's how! ;)

PS It means "Island Mountain Glacier"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pics? :)

Took this one just outside Galway City earlier:

volcanic-ash.jpg

and then I ran!
    Su Campu wrote: »
    Well it's become the most famous Icelandic spewing hot ash since Björk,

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the last couple of pics HERE seem to indicate that it's going to be covering the bottom half of Ireland by the morning.

we have a visitor trying to leave tenerife and they're saying her flight is due to leave around 12pm tomorrow getting in at 4:30pm, but from looking at that i don't know if its a realistic expectation.

any thoughts?

Advertisement