Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tenger wrote: »
    His accent is quite strong (relative to other Icelandic channels I have watched) and his camera work is a bit jumpy. But he is a good source for updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZYSeblYDbI

I watch this guy regularly and his accent is very strong and I would suggest, very Slavic. He sounds like and uses the exact same phraseology as a Polish friend of mine.

New Moon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I watch this guy regularly and his accent is very strong and I would suggest, very Slavic. He sounds like and uses the exact same phraseology as a Polish friend of mine.

That was my thoughts too (ie. Eastern Europe)
    His bio says that he is married to an Iceland girl for the last 10 years (with 2 kids) and that he lived in Norway beforehand.

Tenger wrote: »
    That was my thoughts too (ie. Eastern Europe)
    His bio says that he is married to an Iceland girl for the last 10 years (with 2 kids) and that he lived in Norway beforehand.

Well, wherever he is from, he comes across as a genuine character. He made me smile there a couple of weeks back when introduced us to his 'favorite rock'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

He's from west Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Zakharii2/about
    HELLO FROM ICELAND AND WELCOME TO GUTN TOG - REPORTS FROM THE OTHER WORLD! I am from Thorlakshofn, south west Iceland. Here I publish videos from my travels and experiences and all the stuff that I like. I have been living in Iceland for 15 years (Icelandic citizen since long time ago) but originally from west Ukraine. Hence you will find post some Ukrainian stuff inbetween. I used to live in Reykjavik for 10 years but moved to Thorlakshofn 50 km away after I bought a flat here. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭TTTT

Another explanation of what is going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There is a minor eruption with lava coming out of the ground - that's what's happening in Iceland. JC!

Skyhunter wrote: »
    Early in the eruption he posted a video where in his introduction was his amazement that a Monk was sitting observing the eruption. I was mid sip of a cup of tea and nearly choked from his reaction.

Didn't see that one but I can imagine something like 'what is monk doing there sitting' or something along those lines. Fair play to him though in keeping the world updated with these close up shots of this volcano. You really get to know the place by just watching his videos.

New Moon

We weren't too far off so.

New Moon

Great timelapse. After basically stalling the last days, the lava has now taken a different path to secure its dominion over the valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfoFXX9702I

Amazing to see really, but also quite sad as anyone following this event over the last couple of months will have come to know that valley, named 'Geldingadalur'*** as being quite an impressively beautiful one. No doubt many memories were made there from the people who live around it.

Edit, one curious feature of that valley (before the lava took it over) was the strange looking 'sandy patch' that was centered more or less right in the middle of it and which lay in stark contrast to the rest the region. Not sure if it was a natural feature or man made but certainly it was an eyecatcher.

*** Edit, My mistake, the valley is actually called 'Nátthagi'. "Geldingadalur' is the name of the general region the valley is located in.

New Moon

What an incredible spectacle going on in the valley at the moment (as of 13.30 Iceland time on cam, which can be rewound for those viewing later)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwN-u4Ccygs

Rain falling on warm solidified lava to create a very eerie scene.

Screen capture:
    77lEbEW.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Amazing how big this volcano is getting

This was when it first erupted

There is a Netflix sci-fi mystery series recently made in Iceland called Katla, which is set during a prolonged eruption of the volcano by that name. I'm only one episode in, but it looks very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Amazing how big this volcano is getting

This was when it first erupted

It is mesmerising to watch footage of it. I'm surprised how close people go though; isn't there a risk of asphyxiation if the wind changed direction? I assume some of the gases it produces are pretty unpleasant anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Heraclius wrote:
    It is mesmerising to watch footage of it. I'm surprised how close people go though; isn't there a risk of asphyxiation if the wind changed direction? I assume some of the gases it produces are pretty unpleasant anyway

Most visitors are a sufficient distance from the volcano not to be harmed by the gases, there's only been one idiot that has gotten too close so far, I'm thinking of going there myself in the next few weeks

Heraclius wrote: »

In the first few weeks there were several days with gas warnings. A YouTube channel I watched showed the host with his mask on his belt.
    This wS when people could get very close to the initial fissure and then when the 5-6 other fissures opened up.
    Now that the lava field is so widespread any gas has been dispersed by the time it gets to the edge of the lava flows.

I did see a video earlier that showed footage from a webcam, there people walking on the lava. This took place over the weekend when there are no rescue services onsite. The Icelandic rescue services made a statement that they would no render aid to anyone who ventured onto the lava and got into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Heraclius wrote: »

That shot of people near the lava is very misleading. Shot with a telephoto lens and zoomed in ta f'ck it gives the impression that the background is closer than it actually is.

It's the same trick used by people who photograph the "giant" waves off Nazaré in Portugal. They get a shot of the lighthouse and people in the foreground, then nothing til the waves way out to sea. They look huge, but look at the scale of the white water and how unrealistically large the individual details in that surf turn out in the photo.

https://images.app.goo.gl/83aViy4j1aWKuGBY8

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Most visitors are a sufficient distance from the volcano not to be harmed by the gases, there's only been one idiot that has gotten too close so far, I'm thinking of going there myself in the next few weeks

I'd love to go see it (and Iceland in general).

Heraclius wrote:
    I'd love to go see it (and Iceland in general).

Yea I've been wanting to go for years, so I think my chance is coming now, I'm getting second jab next week, so.....

Yea I've been wanting to go for years, so I think my chance is coming now, I'm getting second jab next week, so.....

This is from a month ago but gives a good idea of the entry retrictions:

https://youtu.be/8U4G9xIBk2s

Since then restrictions have been relaxed a bit. So you no longer have to overnight in a hotel to await your test result.

Tenger wrote:
    This is from a month ago but gives a good idea of the entry retrictions:

Thank you very much, I haven't even started preparing for this yet, but this is a great help

• Advertisement

Thank you very much, I haven't even started preparing for this yet, but this is a great help

Actually thought of going up there myself, but good luck if you make it. Looking forward to the pics and vids already.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

Well that be 2 idiots then if you do go ��

so all those that have already visited are also idiots? ive been on a few, im strangely enough, still here!

That will be 2 idiots then I guess

That will be 2 idiots then I guess

Wanderer wandering near a volcano my mind boggles . It could be very easy to become an idiot 🙂🙂🙂

Wanderer wandering near a volcano my mind boggles . It could be very easy to become an idiot ������

shur tis what i do, you do have to be extremely careful, but it is easy to become mesmerised, and before you know it.... ive probably been a bit too close to pyroclastic flows, definitely was too close to another firing out lava bombs, but shur tis all good

Better to go out with a brief, blood curdling scream than hours of wheezing gasps for breath. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

shur tis what i do, you do have to be extremely careful, but it is easy to become mesmerised, and before you know it.... ive probably been a bit too close to pyroclastic flows, definitely was too close to another firing out lava bombs, but shur tis all good

Few naggins, be grand.

I bet you are great fun at parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Alert put out for Taal Volcano in the Philippines. Small explosion occurred earlier but high amounts of Sulphur Dioxide has been emitted over the past few days

Advertisement