Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ikea lampshade ring too big

• 13-01-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Got a couple of lampshades from Ikea but when I got home I realised the lampshade ring is too big for the light fittings. I assume there is some kind of adapter you can get in Ikea but i live fairly far from it, is there any other place that would do them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Homebase, B&Q, Woodies, probably any lighting shop or electrical wholesalers. Some reducers are solid rings ("O" shaped), some are split ("C" shaped).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

macnug wrote: »
    Got a couple of lampshades from Ikea but when I got home I realised the lampshade ring is too big for the light fittings. I assume there is some kind of adapter you can get in Ikea but i live fairly far from it, is there any other place that would do them?

I think the Ikea plan is that you buy their light fittings too, and as a bonus you then have to buy their bulbs ;)

Seriously though,I thought that the last time I bought a lamp shade in Ikea, it had two rings, to suit different fittings. Maybe check all the packaging again

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

cletus wrote: »
    I think the Ikea plan is that you buy their light fittings too, and as a bonus you then have to buy their bulbs ;)

Seriously though,I thought that the last time I bought a lamp shade in Ikea, it had two rings, to suit different fittings. Maybe check all the packaging again

Yea checked them all. tbh I was in a bit of a rush that day and made a balls of a few things like the bulbs I got for the kitchen spotlights were too dim, 200lm each when I need at least double that. The last time I was in Aldi I saw they do these bulbs (GU10) but cant remember what lm's they were, might pop over tomorrow and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Homebase, B&Q, Woodies, probably any lighting shop or electrical wholesalers. Some reducers are solid rings ("O" shaped), some are split ("C" shaped).

Ah thats great, thought it might be an ikea exclusive. Would the diameter be standard or should I get the measuring tape out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

macnug wrote: »
    Ah thats great, thought it might be an ikea exclusive. Would the diameter be standard or should I get the measuring tape out?
    Sorry, I've no idea if it's standard or not, or if IKEA have their own size. I'd no problem using a reducer from an old shade to fit a new shade, both bought years apart in different shops (none IKEA).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Just found this as I've a similar problem. I never even thought IKEA would have non standard lamp shades. It's too big. I took the inner ring clip off my old shade and clicked it in and low and behold, it was then too small.

Bloody hell, they make life difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,606 ✭✭✭✭listermint

IKEA actually sell the ring adaptors too . Quite cheap afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

cool, thanks. The solution was as simple as the problem so! Just ordering two now. Google had led me to DIY hacks but thankfully I came here.

Advertisement