Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Court listing for drunk driving

Options
  • 08-04-2021 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some information about a court case for drunk driving today in Dublin.
    Are court lists published for these? Am I right to think that it's in the District Court?
    It's for a neighbour, who has crashed into my car on a number of occasions, so I'd like to follow the outcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Effects wrote: »
    I'm looking for some information about a court case for drunk driving today in Dublin.
    Are court lists published for these? Am I right to think that it's in the District Court?
    It's for a neighbour, who has crashed into my car on a number of occasions, so I'd like to follow the outcome.

District Court lists are not published and there is restricted physical access due to Covid at the moment. Best case is that the local reporter might cover the case in the local newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Thanks for that. It's kind of bewildering, as the person has been caught a load of times over the past two years, yet still on the road.
    Last time my car needed €1500 worth of work to fix it, and I was amazed that they had insurance to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Thanks for that. It's kind of bewildering, as the person has been caught a load of times over the past two years, yet still on the road.
    Last time my car needed €1500 worth of work to fix it, and I was amazed that they had insurance to cover it.

An individual arrested for drink driving can continue to legally drive their car in the time period between arrest/charging and the court case (and, of course, thereafter, if acquitted). The time period between charging and the court case is not supposed to exceed 6 months, but sometimes deferrals are requested and granted for various reasons. Of course, he or she may be driving without insurance, or may not have declared the arrest to the insurance company. Even if they have declared it, they have not (yet) been convicted and their premium would not necessarily increase. Alternatively, he/she may already be banned but is still driving. Difficult to ascertain, unfortunately, as unless a reporter happens to be present many drink driving cases never make it to the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's for a neighbour, who has crashed into my car on a number of occasions
    Have you reported each of these incidents? Talking to the garda you dealt with may be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

At can take a long time to get a persoon off the road. The case can take months to get to a hearing, then there can be an appeal,or a case stated or a judicial review, followed in some cases by appeals of those. Some drink driving cases have gone on for 12 years.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Have you reported each of these incidents? Talking to the garda you dealt with may be useful.

I reported the last one, which was the most serious. Then came in for a torrent of abuse from her for getting the Gardaí involved. I can't remember the Garda's name at this stage though, as it was about a year ago.

At can take a long time to get a persoon off the road. The case can take months to get to a hearing, then there can be an appeal,or a case stated or a judicial review, followed in some cases by appeals of those. Some drink driving cases have gone on for 12 years.

It's hard to understand how it can take so long. She was caught three times in one week alone. And during one of those stops she had a glass of wine in her hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Jesus...horrible way for her to be .... a serious alcoholic

A driving ban is completely unenforceable..... there is nothing except incarceration to stop someone from driving.

Will hitting someone bring her to realise the error of her ways?

It's hard to understand how it can take so long. She was caught three times in one week alone. And during one of those stops she had a glass of wine in her hand!

So what? there still has to be a court case. There can be appeals etc.

So what?

She's been in multiple car accidents, knocked down one pedestrian, led the Gardaí on chases on multiple occasions.

Someone like that shouldn't be allowed to drive, pending court cases that seem to take years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I enquired about a case where I had been the witness (due to dangerous driving, they had to attend, but apparently a deal was done on steps). Sister of a big money celebrity.
    Court Registrar in Laois effectively told me the outcome was none of my business. Despite my turning up for court. Despite Sergeant saying that for dangerous driving there was a mandatory court appearance...
    Never in local papers either.

She's been in multiple car accidents, knocked down one pedestrian, led the Gardaí on chases on multiple occasions.

Someone like that shouldn't be allowed to drive, pending court cases that seem to take years.

There is no legal means to stop a person driving pending a court case. She has a presumption of innocence until convicted, which revives on appeal. No matter what a person is alleged to have done the only way to have the person off the road would be to arrest and charge them and try and have it made a bail condition that the person does not drive pending the hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

.... the only way to have the person off the road would be to arrest and charge them and try and have it made a bail condition that the person does not drive pending the hearing.

Even if you could find a district court judge to include that condition, it would be overturned in 5 minutes by the High Court. Because it would be seen as an attempt to prematurely impose a disqualification order in advance of the court hearing. Where the defendant could be found not guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

coylemj wrote: »
    Even if you could find a district court judge to include that condition, it would be overturned in 5 minutes by the High Court. Because it would be seen as an attempt to prematurely impose a disqualification order in advance of the court hearing. Where the defendant could be found not guilty.

It happens regularly when charged with a serious driving offence, it is lawful - permitted under S6 of the Bail Act 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

GM228 wrote: »
    It happens regularly when charged with a serious driving offence, it is lawful - permitted under S6 of the Bail Act 1997.

Happens 'regularly'? I have never read about anyone getting bail on condition that they don't drive a car.

And it's only 'lawful' because you consider that it's covered by this general provision in S.6 ......
    the recognisance may be subject to such conditions as the court considers appropriate having regard to the circumstances of the case....

Which also lists off specific conditions which may be imposed but these do not include (as implied by your post) refraining from driving as a condition of bail. It may happen in certain situations but not as often as you suggest.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/16/section/6/enacted/en/html#sec6

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

coylemj wrote: »
    Happens 'regularly'? I have never read about anyone getting bail on condition that they don't drive a car.

And it's only 'lawful' because you consider that it's covered by this general provision in S.6 ......

Which also lists off specific conditions which may be imposed but these do not include (as implied by your post) refraining from driving as a condition of bail. It may happen in certain situations but not as often as you suggest.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/16/section/6/enacted/en/html#sec6

It's not something I just consider lawful due to a general provision, S6 of the Criminal Justice Act 2017 amended S6 of the Bail Act 1997 to specifically include the provision.

And yes it does happen regularly (and has actually done so long since before the 2017 amendment) when charged with a serious driving offence.

Here's one such condition imposed in 2014:-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/strict-bail-condition-on-road-rampage-accused-includes-a-ban-on-sitting-in-front-seat-of-any-vehicle-30028154.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They're not 'accidents', they are crashes.

Advertisement