Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish AFL team in Sydney

• 12-07-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

THE AFL is considering a radical proposal to launch an Irish-dominated team in Sydney's western suburbs, which would perform before an international audience under the Celtic brand name.

link

Interesting that the GPA are involved. I expect that this will be picked up by the Sunday papers here... and subsequently forgotten. I don't think the AFL would seriously consider the 'ethnic' teams route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Being reported on the official AFL site now as well. Link

It'd be a unbelievable thing to do really but I guess it's just the next step in the expansion of the AFL. This coupled with all the promotion they now do in the likes of New Zealand and South Africa could see the game become much bigger on a global scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

It was on the back page of the Indo today:
    THE Australian Football League (AFL) could have an Irish-dominated team within three years.
    Under radical new proposals being considered by AFL big-wigs, the Australian competition's 18th team could be branded 'Sydney Celtics' to tap into a greater worldwide Irish audience at home and in the UK, as well as to establish lucrative marketing links with America's reigning NBA basketball champions, the Boston Celtics, and Scottish Premier League giants Glasgow Celtic.
    The idea of an Irish AFL team was first discussed between AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou and Donal O'Neill, then Gaelic Players Association executive, during the controversial 2006 International Rules Series.
    But the proposals have gathered momentum again after the unveiling by controversial Australian players' agent Ricky Nixon of his audacious recruitment scheme to target GAA youngsters and sell a database on them to AFL clubs.
    Agenda
    AFL Commission Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick confirmed yesterday that the creation of the 'Sydney Celtics' is on the Aussie Rules governing body's agenda.
    "It's been put to us and while it's not without issues it is something we'll explore," Fitzpatrick said. "Ricky [Nixon] has made a reasonably compelling case and we are not discounting anything at this stage."
    While in Ireland on a scouting mission recently Nixon expressed his surprise and delight at the high level of interest in the AFL among GAA fans.
    There are currently nine Irish players on the books of four of the 16 AFL clubs, but that could hit double figures soon if Laois starlet Conor Meredith -- in Australia this week for a trial with the Brisbane Lions -- is persuaded to sign, and join former Laois defender Colm Begley and Mayo's Pierce Hanley.
    Lions coach Leigh Matthews last year referred to Ireland as "a fertile breeding ground for AFL recruitment."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/afl-plan-irish-team-1431763.html

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

God I really hope it doesn't happen. There is already a well established club with a fairly strong Irish heritage in Collingwood. A Sydney Celtics would be a bit to plastic paddy for my liking. It would also be pretty bad for the GAA as I'm sure it would help draw more talent from Ireland.

I wonder could the GPA be using this to try get more concessions from the GAA?

Here is where i came across it by the way:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2008/07/11/1215658137146.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

God I really hope it doesn't happen. There is already a well established club with a fairly strong Irish heritage in Collingwood. A Sydney Celtics would be a bit to plastic paddy for my liking. It would also be pretty bad for the GAA as I'm sure it would help draw more talent from Ireland.

I wonder could the GPA be using this to try get more concessions from the GAA?

Here is where i came across it by the way:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2008/07/11/1215658137146.html

Although he was reluctant to draw on the religious aspect, Professor Stratton believed another possible reason behind the sheer disdain for the 'Pies was their Catholic following.

Before multiculturalism, religious rivalries played a part in Australian sport, mainly pitting Protestants against Catholics.

"Most Collingwood fans were Catholic and Irish, and pretty much working class, so they've had a history of exclusion," Professor Stratton said.

He believed the "residue" of that religious rivalry has contributed to the general dislike for the Pies today.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/everybody-hates-collingwood--but-why-20100921-15l4l.html

Advertisement