Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M11/N11 - M50 (J4) to Coyne's Cross (J14) [options published]

• 06-08-2016 2:39am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A desperately needed scheme in planning according to Michael Nolan of the TII at a recent Engineers Ireland conference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Building it is going to be a nightmare.

Might be cheaper to just move Kilmacanogue...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Was this a conference back in April or more recently. TII are also progressing the preliminary design for the upgrading of the Kirwan Roundabout in Galway that was refused planning previoulsy

http://connachttribune.ie/second-attempt-to-remove-kirwan-roundabout-330/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭prunudo

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Building it is going to be a nightmare.

Might be cheaper to just move Kilmacanogue...

When they did the work 15 years ago they should have bypassed it. Keeping the road on its existing line has been a disaster. But ultimately the traffic problems in the evenings really stem from the lack of 3 lanes as far as the Bray south turn off. People trying to merge at Fassaroe are also restricted with the safety barrier in the hard shoulder at silver bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

jvan wrote: »
    When they did the work 15 years ago they should have bypassed it.

But if they had bypassed Kilmacanogue we'd have no fun playing the "game of death" with the cars exiting the filling station at the R755 junction :-)

See my previous post here for information I posted previously (nearly 7 years ago!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭prunudo

nordydan wrote: »
    But if they had bypassed Kilmacanogue we'd have no fun playing the "game of death" with the cars exiting the filling station at the R755 junction :-)

See my previous post here for information I posted previously (nearly 7 years ago!)

That's true, but it's not just the garage, you've got the entrance to lavender field, 2 or 3 houses, entrance to some industrial units, entrance to Kelly recovery, the bus stop, the entrance to Glen fuels, entrance to topaz, exit of topaz, entrance to another house and then the turn of for the r755 all within about 300m. Then add into the mix the people who slow down in the mainline rather than using the hard shoulder and it really is "game of death"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

jvan wrote: »
    That's true, but it's not just the garage, you've got the entrance to lavender field, 2 or 3 houses, entrance to some industrial units, entrance to Kelly recovery, the bus stop, the entrance to Glen fuels, entrance to topaz, exit of topaz, entrance to another house and then the turn of for the r755 all within about 300m. Then add into the mix the people who slow down in the mainline rather than using the hard shoulder and it really is "game of death"

You forgot the cyclists and the tourists in hire cars heading to Glendalough!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

The road really should have been diverted between Kilcroney and Kilmacanogue (here: http://osm.org/go/es~MCG8u?m=&node=1418279174) and followed a line east of the existing road for about 2 kilometres before going through GoD.

It is all only farmland. It would have made Kilmacanogue a much nicer and safer place and for easier upgrades over time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Bray Head wrote: »
    The road really should have been diverted between Kilcroney and Kilmacanogue (here: http://osm.org/go/es~MCG8u?m=&node=1418279174) and followed a line east of the existing road for about 2 kilometres before going through GoD.

It is all only farmland. It would have made Kilmacanogue a much nicer and safer place and for easier upgrades over time.

Yea, I agree - widening the existing road just made the whole area unpleasant - too much roadspace to be nice to live in but not enough segregation of traffic to be safe. The worst of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

In this country I'd nearly argue that 3 lanes has lower capacity than 2 because people don't understand the concept of keeping left.

Seems on the M50/M7 that more time is spent finding a way around the middle lane hoggers whereas on a 2-lane it's simple - wait patiently behind, maybe a quick flash of the lights, they understand and move. Do the same in the middle lane and when you eventually end up using Lane 3 to overtake you get looks of confusion from the bottom feeders behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Sadly, this is so true..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

spacetweek wrote: »
    I gotta say that some of that sounds a little optimistic. Not sure how you could turn the N4 Lucan Bypass into a motorway due to footpaths everywhere and it'd be very hard to widen the N11 as far as the Glen of the Downs without having to demolish a lot of houses around Kilmacanogue.

Yea I would have thought an m50/m11 widening scheme would have to stop certainly at the second Bray exit (fassaroe). There's a church and pedestrian bridge in extreme proximity to the road too around the third Bray exit (the one onto the Herbert Road before Bray south, also opposite enniskerry exit on northbound carriage)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

spacetweek wrote: »
    I gotta say that some of that sounds a little optimistic. Not sure how you could turn the N4 Lucan Bypass into a motorway due to footpaths everywhere and it'd be very hard to widen the N11 as far as the Glen of the Downs without having to demolish a lot of houses around Kilmacanogue.

plenty of unused carriageway space at Killmacanogue ,three lanes entirely possible ( hard shoulder could be dispensed with for example ) , in fact just shutting down dual carriageway access to the filing station and increasing the road speed limit would solve 90% of all the problems there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

BoatMad wrote: »
    plenty of unused carriageway space at Killmacanogue ,three lanes entirely possible ( hard shoulder could be dispensed with for example ) , in fact just shutting down dual carriageway access to the filing station and increasing the road speed limit would solve 90% of all the problems there anyway

you'ld need to provide an access route to Woodlands Academy

The Lavender place
    the houses and businesses before the petrol station

The houses on the west of the road south of Kilmac
    and to the nature reserve and alternative access for cyclists from Newtownmountkennedy to Bray. And all for what? a blue line on a map?

you'ld need to provide an access route to Woodlands Academy

The Lavender place
    the houses and businesses before the petrol station

The houses on the west of the road south of Kilmac
    and to the nature reserve and alternative access for cyclists from Newtownmountkennedy to Bray. And all for what? a blue line on a map?

never said it had to be a motorway , the primary issue at Kil mac, is the speed slow down and dangerous situation caused by the access to the filling station , that can be resolved like in lucan by forcing the station exit up the roundwood crossover

removing the hard shoulder would allow three lanes a practice that is common in the UK and the houses etc can be handled by controlling access roads and CPing land if necessary

No need for a blue line , but of course it should sorted out , the bottleneck was entirely predictable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

never said it had to be a motorway , the primary issue at Kil mac, is the speed slow down...

true
    On top of that there's also the severity of the bend coming into kilmac which warrants a lower limit in itself.

Imo upgrading, separating and straightening up to motorway standard would be a good thing

-not just because of the time lost and dangers in kilmac but because the slowing there has a knock-on effect - causing traffic several kilometres back to slow to a crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

When are these jams?
    I've never seen them, Seen jams at the M11/M50 merge and coming up the hill to Bray south, but not at Kilmac.

No Hard shoulder is fairly intimidating for cyclists, and probably less safe than the existing setup. The exit of the petrol station issue could be solved by painting a solid white line to the left of the dashed line, and prosecuting those breaking it.

When are these jams?
    I've never seen them, Seen jams at the M11/M50 merge and coming up the hill to Bray south, but not at Kilmac.

No Hard shoulder is fairly intimidating for cyclists, and probably less safe than the existing setup. The exit of the petrol station issue could be solved by painting a solid white line to the left of the dashed line, and prosecuting those breaking it.

cyclists have no place on such roads and the debate to accommodate them elsewhere is separate and not a function of the issues here. in effect that statement is a red herring

The jams on the lead up to Bray South , are in the main caused by both the overloaded Bray South and the severe reduction in speed limits at Killmac

Its a proven fact that reduction in speed on a motorway cause traffic to actually halt several miles back

simply making the kilmac road safer and rising the limits to 100km would have a major effect

When are these jams?
    well bray south is a whole other story...

You see build-up and serve slowing between bray-south and kilmac very often. The idea is that the slowing coming into kilmac is what causes the delay. When people slow down, the ones behind them usually slow more, until it's crawling further back - so that although kilmac is flowing fine, the root of the problem is here and the effects are only felt further back.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    well bray south is a whole other story...

You see build-up and serve slowing between bray-south and kilmac very often. The idea is that the slowing coming into kilmac is what causes the delay. When people slow down, the ones behind them usually slow more, until it's crawling further back - so that although kilmac is flowing fine, the root of the problem is here and the effects are only felt further back.

It was demonstrated to me very clearly a few weeks back, a trivial accident on the n4/m4, which caused rubber necking resulted in a snail pace queue back to the M50, yet when you got to the site of the accident , the road become virtually completely clear

Fair point here, upgrading to motorway would necessitate rerouting for others.

Seeing as its such a heavily used route for cyclist it might be a good idea to incorporate a dedicated cycle route into plans. The current set-up must be putting some off as it is.

• Advertisement

Seeing as its such a heavily used route for cyclist it might be a good idea to incorporate a dedicated cycle route into plans. The current set-up must be putting some off as it is.

I have yet to see thousands of cyclists peddling through Kilmacanogue

I have yet to see thousands of cyclists peddling through Kilmacanogue

It's one of the ways up into the Wicklow mountains, though I suppose the other ones are more popular.

It's one of the ways up into the Wicklow mountains, though I suppose the other ones are more popular.

perhaps, I mighty suggest that the provision of a cycleway is a separate issue to solving the mess that is the Bray bypass.,

I know cycling now, is up there with God and religion , but just perhaps we might consider some more " earthly" problems as well, :pac:

I know cycling now, is up there with God and religion , but just perhaps we might consider some more " earthly" problems as well, :pac:

surely the lycra-clad monks of cycling are small-fry compared to the "Cult of the Car"?

Anyway, this adversarial stuff really bugs me. Once you put a name on a group it's easy define them as the "other", blame them for everything and marginalize their wants and needs.

People are just people trying to get from A to B and enjoy their lives.

surely the lycra-clad monks of cycling are small-fry compared to the "Cult of the Car"?

Anyway, this adversarial stuff really bugs me. Once you put a name on a group it's easy define them as the "other", blame them for everything and marginalize their wants and needs.

People are just people trying to get from A to B and enjoy their lives.

I was merely responding to the comments that the problems at Kilmac needed to take account of cyclists , whilst I would argue that accommodating them in the margins of busy dual carriageways is not the best idea and best handled separately.

There is no " cult of the car", there is clearly the "cult of the bike", true there are some petrol heads, but the vast vast majority of people have cars because they need them , ( which is not the reason most bikes are bought, because its a hobby )

I was merely responding to the comments that the problems at Kilmac needed to take account of cyclists
    i think it's normal practice to take account of anyone that uses something when you change it, as well a potential add-on benefits you could have from a scheme. What the result of that would be after analysis would remain to be seen.
    there is no " cult of the car"
    I think historians would disagree...but hey, there's enough of these debates on boards that are going nowhere so we should both leave it here.

i think it's normal practice to take account of anyone that uses something when you change it, as well a potential add-on benefits you could have from a scheme. What the result of that would be after analysis would remain to be seen.

I didnt have that cyclists should be accounted for , I merely was trying to say that in the scheme of things the problems of the bray bypass need to be fixed irrespective of the effect directly in cyclists, and if there is a material effect, they should be catered for elsewhere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There is no " cult of the car", there is clearly the "cult of the bike", true there are some petrol heads, but the vast vast majority of people have cars because they need them , ( which is not the reason most bikes are bought, because its a hobby )
    That is rubbish - any conversation with a regular motorist and you will notice their complaints about having to pay motor tax, obey speed limits, and pay for parking and their hatred for cyclists and pedestrians. They have a victim mentality caused by being walled off from the world in their metal box.

Cyclists are mostly doing it because it's the most effective way of getting around when you're somewhere like the centre of Dublin and it's the most pleasureable way of getting around a country area.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

Any official plans about this or is it speculation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any official plans about this or is it speculation
    This was produced in 2010 ...

http://www.derekmitchell.ie/wp-content/up/07-139-039-M11-N11-Study-EOC-Mar-2010-Final-NRA-Approved1.pdf

Also, recently Wicklow CC compulsorily purchased a small strip of land in Kilmacanogue that may be related to part of that planned scheme, maybe in relation to eliminating the exit from the petrol station somehow?

http://www.wicklow.ie/kilmacanoge-glen-downs-dual-carriageway-cpo-no3-2016

Advertisement