Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice thread for Novice Woodturners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Br5d wrote: »
    I use it without thinning and find it does a great job. I've also used candle wax in the past on smaller rounds and blanks to good effect.

Last 4 bowls I did, I watered it down roughly 50 50. No cracks so far anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Br5d

delaney001 wrote: »
    Last 4 bowls I did, I watered it down roughly 50 50. No cracks so far anyway...

I mainly use it on oak that I air dry to stop checking. I paint it on very liberally on bowls that I rough turn before sticking them in my kiln.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Br5d wrote: »
    I mainly use it on oak that I air dry to stop checking. I paint it on very liberally on bowls that I rough turn before sticking them in my kiln.

Ya I put a lot less on the most recent bowls, checked em yesterday and they are all ok. They're in 6 weeks now.
    Mind me asking what temp and humidity you run the kiln at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Br5d

I initially keep the heat at 50c until the humidity hits 100% then slowly bring the temp down while monitoring the moisture content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NoelGM

Hi,

I bought this set myself a few months and it is really good. It is ideal for beginners

Noel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

So after a search of boards today...

As a wannabe wood turner would these items be a good starting point.

Record power DML305 lathe.
    RS 67hs turning tool set.
    DX1000 extractor.
    RP SC3 chuck.

Comes in at just under €900 from whraitt.ie

Anything else I need to add to that list or is it enough to get me started and add more gear as I progress..?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say you won't go too wrong with that. one question would be what sort of turning you want to do, though; i bought the same robert sorby set but only ever really use the bowl gouge, skew, and parting tool; the others don't get much use. i generally do more faceplate than spindle turning though.
    do you have a means of sharpening them?

also, what provisions does the lathe come with for mounting? e.g. live centre for the tailstock, etc.
    i like a steb centre for spindle turning, but it'd be rare for one of these to be supplied with a lathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

i'd say you won't go too wrong with that. one question would be what sort of turning you want to do, though; i bought the same robert sorby set but only ever really use the bowl gouge, skew, and parting tool; the others don't get much use. i generally do more faceplate than spindle turning though.
    do you have a means of sharpening them?

also, what provisions does the lathe come with for mounting? e.g. live centre for the tailstock, etc.
    i like a steb centre for spindle turning, but it'd be rare for one of these to be supplied with a lathe.

Thanks for that.

Yeah I'll get a grinder and sharpening jig later on.

Bowls,pens maybe some spindle work.

So I should add a live centre for the tailstock to the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd confirm what accessories come with the lathe - it's possible one is already bundled.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

stratowide wrote: »

DX1000 extractor.
    RP SC3 chuck.

Anything else I need to add to that list or is it enough to get me started and add more gear as I progress..?

Frankly - that is an utterly epic starting point! :)

An optional add-on you could put in for a few quid more is a cyclone separator to save you from emptying the DX1000 as often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

DX1000 extractor.
    RP SC3 chuck.

When your budgeting, include for sharpening. It will be one of the biggest restrictions to improving if you don’t have sharp chisels.
    It’s also a costly aspect, so I would say plan for it from day one.

i have one of these, or probably a slightly older model - bought a tormek gouge jig too, which is compatible with it, so total spend was around €250-€300 probably.

https://www.mcquillantools.ie/scheppach-tiger-2500-sharpening-system/

one comment i will make on it - the stone itself is not a uniform consistency, it's obviously slightly harder on one side, so there's a bit of a 'hop' when sharpening, but it still does the job. i don't use it for the skew chisel though, i still get the best results on that from a cheapo diamond plate or whetstone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

Just keep your head down, and you'll be grand.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

DX1000 extractor.
    RP SC3 chuck.

Plus the appropriate safety gear, mask, safety glasses, for starters.

Safety smock later on to keep all those lose threads cuffs, sleeves away from the business end.

You'll soon be a woodturning junkie:D:)

add to that a heated shed so your poor fingers don't go numb on a night like tonight...

add to that a heated shed so your poor fingers don't go numb on a night like tonight...

Dont be spoiling the lad....heat whats that:D

Let him harden up like the rest of us.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kadman wrote: »
    Safety smock later on to keep all those lose threads cuffs, sleeves away from the business end.
    And if you wear a wedding ring, take it off. Google "finger degloving injury" and select Images if you want to know why :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

Hi guys, I purchased a lidl lathe before Christmas (no laughing at the back) and it was grand at small things I was catching the wood turning bug until I went to big and the lathe did a dance around the table and died. The one good thing about lidl products is that they are easily returned and refunded.

So still having the urge for some more wood turning I plan to make a purchase again. But am at a loss with what is a good or bad lathe. Are there good middle of the road lathes and what are the ones to avoid with a badly turned barge pole finished on a Parkside lathe.

I was looking at this from mquillan tools for 600e

https://www.mcquillantools.ie/charnwood-w824p2-midi-lathe-package-deal/

But I couldn't find much info on the brand Charnwood, any review I read or watch on YouTube say they are good but I am guessing the reviewer could be paid or supplied by Charnwood. I am just looking for an honest review. I would like to do all sorts on the lathe from egg cups to lamps. I thought this would be a good starting point. I know the chisels are most probably pants but they will just be a starting point.

Cheers in advance for any advise.

you are aware what the significance of the model number means? 824 means you can turn a piece of 8" max diameter and 24" max long.

looks like a solid enough offer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks pretty good to me as a midi lathe, variable speed too which is a big advantage. Just be aware the size limitations as mentioned above.

• Advertisement

best advice i can give woodturners is to get as much fruit wood as possible. i was turning apple earlier after having turned some oak earlier in the week, the apple was like butter compared to the oak.

you are aware what the significance of the model number means? 824 means you can turn a piece of 8" max diameter and 24" max long.

looks like a solid enough offer to me.

I wasn't aware of this I.m such a nube, in the specs it says the distance between centres is 14" and the distance over bed is 12"

Are you familiar with the brand

Dont rule out Dungdeal for an entry level bargain,

https://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/woodturning-lathe/23989693

501533.jpeg

OK - that's a bloody weird naming convention so! charnwood's site confirms you're correct. god knows why they named it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Hi everyone new to wood turning all self thought but I'm going to classess soon. Can anyone reccomend a decent sharpiner for me please and where to buy I'm getting crazy prices on line but I dont know what to believe
    Thank you all

Or this one perhaps, full kit,, Bargains are out there.. I am not connected to any of these by the way. Just on a quick search of donedeal..

https://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/woodturning-lathe/24045144

501534.jpeg

kadman wrote: »
    Dont rule out Dungdeal for an entry level bargain,

https://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/woodturning-lathe/23989693

501533.jpeg

Well I was going to inquire about this one today but its gone. I guess you snooze you loose. Back to the drawing board

The first lathe posted is a good option and complete kit
    , if it is still there

• Registered Users Posts: 10 alexsandro22

Hey. I just started working with wood and I worked with a Remington chainsaw. Should I buy it or maybe change it to Jonsered brand? Wich one is better for beginner? Thanks

• Advertisement

one thing that is annoying me at the moment is that even though my shed is reasonably dry inside - i've never had any real issue with rust on tools, for example - it's been so damp - i.e. humid - recently (as in the last year or two) that often when i turn a piece that should be dry, there's noticeable cracking/shifting when i bring it inside.
    i'm going to have to start storing wood inside the house, and bringing it outside just when i need to turn it.

Advertisement