Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Useful Lego Links

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

eo980 wrote:
    www.brickset.com - Browse old and new sets
    www.peeron.com - Browse scanned instructions (Link courtesy of irlrobins)
    Nice to get the credit. Cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

As ever, eBay remains a source with a wide range of LEGO sets available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

irlrobins wrote:
    Nice to get the credit. Cheers! :D

Well fair's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

http://factory.lego.com/

Allows you to virtual build your set. So if you don't have access to your bricks you can recreate the stuff you made years ago on your PC.

Also allows you to then buy the pieces for your model and ship them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Useful maybe not, but this guy has made some cool stuff:
    http://www.saber-scorpion.com/lego.htm

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

irlrobins wrote:
    http://factory.lego.com/

Allows you to virtual build your set. So if you don't have access to your bricks you can recreate the stuff you made years ago on your PC.

Also allows you to then buy the pieces for your model and ship them to you.

Pity there is no Technic pumps and cogs etc in there.. the ordinary Lego blocks are fun but get a bit lifeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

OMG I love the Brickfactory!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

I'm just downloading it now...

LOL...

I've just had a real urge lately, to buy loads of lego... I guess the credit card will be coming out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lostcarpark

For millions of Lego photos: http://www.brickshelf.com

Lots of crap, but lots of good stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zageroth

is there a website that you can get a program that allows you to create a lego world and make up the pieces and buidings and everything from different parts of everything there has been of lego??

please link me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lostcarpark

Zageroth wrote:
    is there a website that you can get a program that allows you to create a lego world and make up the pieces and buidings and everything from different parts of everything there has been of lego??

please link me!

I presume you've had a look at LDD (Lego Digital Designer)? It's not bad, but not so good for complex arrangements of bricks in my experience, and of course it only has bricks from a limited palette you can by from Lego Factory. On the plus side, it's very easy to use.

Available from: http://ldd.lego.com/

If you want more complex modelling, you need to look at a program called MLCad (Mike's Lego CAD). It's a bit more complex to install, and it takes a bit of learning, but you can achieve truly amazing results with it. It comes with a fairly wide range of bricks, but because there are lots of people working on the 3D brick models, and they can't always agree, not all bricks are included in the default list. You can download lots of other bricks that haven't been approved yet. Almost every brick Lego have ever produced has been turned into a MLCad model, but they can sometimes be tricky to track down. You have to take care, as it is quite easy to produce models that can never be built by using bricks in colours they've never been made in (which is frowned upon by the purists). You also have to take care you don't put bricks in places they could never appear (like suspended in space).

The main MLCad site is here: http://www.lm-software.com/mlcad/

There are lots of programs that you can plug in to MLCad to take things further. For example, there's a program called L3PAO that converts the data from MLCad so that it can be rendered by the 3D renderer PovRay to produce photo-realistic images.

One of the great things about LDD and MLCad is that they are compatible and can read each other's files. This is great for taking a model from one and using the other program to finish it off. You have to be careful not to use any bricks LDD doesn't have, as it will try to swap them for a similar brick, but if it can't find one, it will just leave a hole in your model.

It can take a bit of learning to get up and running, particularly when you start getting into rendering, but it can be a lot of fun.

Good luck!

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Bargain Alert of sorts, for some lego sets are up to 50% off in Art & Hobby shop Nutgrove, Rathfarnham. Not sure if it's in the other A&H shops. But given the expensive nature of lego, thought people might benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

Cheers dude, i'll check them out tomorrow!

star-pants wrote: »
    Bargain Alert of sorts, for some lego sets are up to 50% off in Art & Hobby shop Nutgrove, Rathfarnham. Not sure if it's in the other A&H shops. But given the expensive nature of lego, thought people might benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

Picked up a Lego Technic Combine harvester for 35euro in nut groove, not bad at all.
    l love my combine harvester i do!

star-pants wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Simpel

Another nice link is www.worldbricks.com . Here you can find many lego instructions from the past years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Wow, I'm surprised there are so many lego fans on boards! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ilph

I've been using this software for a while and it's quite good. Better than LDD, just as easy to use and a million time easier than MLCAD. http://staff.polito.it/sergio.reano/ I definitely advise everyone to give it a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 josephtoole

Simpel, thanks for the www.worldbricks.com it's great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Anyone interested in trading lego, especially minifigs can do so in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

I know this thread is quite old but could the OP be updated to include www.brickcat.com? I find it invaluable for finding Lego bargains as it updates daily from multiple stores as well as Lego S@H.

Advertisement