Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League Rights Renewed

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be expected really in the current climate. An auction might have resulted in a significant reduction in what is being offered.

I suspect the Premier League will consider this taking a breather rather than the bubble finally bursting, and will be hoping for business as usual in three years time.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the Irish rights. Would expect the Sky and BT deals here to be also renewed but Premier Sports have done very badly out of all games being on U.K. TV and effectively losing their exclusivity. They got some additional Amazon games but it’s scant compensation, I think. Will be interesting to see if they keep their rights as I think if the current situation were to persist walking might be seriously considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

No doubt Sky will increase prices, they have lost huge money on commercial revenue because of the pandemic and they have to pay the same to renew the rights.

As for BT they want to focus on Broadband and are looking for a new partner/investor at the moment.

Amazon have made record profits during the pandemic and wont be in any financial trouble.

Premier Sports did indeed get shafted by getting the matches that BT and Sky didnt want to show and will certainly will not be forking out the same money for matches that are not involving the Big 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It's going to take another few years if ever when we get a chance to watch all Premier League matches in the Republic of Ireland legally.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I was really hoping that Amazon would come in and look it broker a deal to show all games in the UK/I markets as their coverage is really very polished and have basically unlimited funds.
    How far away are we from the Premier League selling their own rights directly to the consumer via their own platform sort of what F1 TV does in certain markets for Formula 1.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Some talk that games for club channels would have formed part time of the now abandoned ESL arrangements. I guess we’ll never know.

The real answer to that question though, is “when the Premier League think they can make more money out of doing things that way”. Think it will be a while yet as Sky is absolutely dependant on the Premier League for its own existance and once things are back to some kind of normal will be back to spending whatever it takes to keep the rights.Despite what FOM are doing (and that’s not new for them, it’s really a resurrection of the old Bernievision idea) I’m not sure there’s a major sports league out there that uses an in-house OTT platform as it’s main domestic TV rights outlet. The PGA Tour has partnered with Discovery but that deal excludes the US domestic market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Delta2113

BBC to stream every game from Copa America 2021. No mention so far to show any games on linear tv which is a big shame.

Advertisement