Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to John Kavanagh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there anyone you would love to train, from Ireland and/or worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Where's your favourite place in Dublin to get a breakfast roll?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Hey Coach. Can I knock over and borrow some milk? Just brewed a cup and poured the milk and it came out in lumps. By borrow, I mean take. Unless you want it back.

Also;

1. Barry's or Lyons?
    2. Who would play you in the audio book of your book?
    3. Same question as 2, but this time movie.
    4. What's the most scared you've ever felt.
    5. Have you ever had a close shave with any of your spiders?
    6. What's your favourite place in the world?
    7. What would be your karaoke choice (to murder)?
    8. On a scale of 1-1,000,000, how hard is changing the duvet cover?
    9. What is the meaning of life?
    10. Don't worry, I already know it's 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Have you ever coached somebody that was so awful that you told them to stop or wouldn't let compete?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Hello John and thanks for your time in doing this.

1. Can you remember the moment (if there was one) when you looked at McGregor and just KNEW he was going
    to be a world champion?

2. As a BJJ coach, do you expect a higher standard from your students who compete than you would from the
    guys and girls who dont? Do you treat them differently when it comes to promotions?

3. How many affiliate gyms does SBG Ireland have now?

4. Outside of your own team who is your favourite Irish MMA fighter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭KyussBeeshop

What do you think of the potential for Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) in the future for professional MMA fighters?

Since it's so hard to diagnose until later in life, how do you determine when a fighter should retire?

Are there any fighters from your club who you think should quit now while they're ahead, when it comes to CTE?

Any you have advocated quitting early due to this reason, in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lemmy1000

Hi John, Thanks for taking the time to do this.

1) I love the few instructional videos you have on youtube. Would you ever think of doing an instructional DVD or anymore youtube videos?

2) If someone is only interested in doing MMA do you still have them train bjj in the gi?

3) I saw on instagram that Conor has his own gym now. Does he still train in SBG HQ and is there any problem with fans interrupting his or other pros training for photos etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Any historical figure, who you would fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,989 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A few more jiu jitsu ones...

- How do you feel about the shift away from IBJJF rulesets towards sub-only rulesets that permit/encourage reaping/leg locks and the like.

- How's your leg lock game personally?

- Who's has the best jiu jitsu that you're ever rolled with?

- Whats your opinion on the effectiveness of guard pulling in MMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Do you follow your brother on snapchat?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

JohnSBG wrote: »
    yes but impossible to explain to someone who doesn't train it. you know or you don't.

I do. Have done for nearly a decade. But only once a week - not as much as some people would do. I have always loved it deeply - but I not to the almost religious fervour that Jocko and Harris do. So I was just wondering if you were able to get into their head space in a way I could not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Strange AMA where the posters seem to know way too much about the participant!!!!

As someone who has never seen McGregor in action but read the headlines do you worry about his future, after he hangs his gloves up?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Just a few inside the actors studio questions:

1. What is your favorite word?
    2. What is your least favorite word?
    3. What turns you on?
    4. What turns you off? 
    5. What sound or noise do you love?
    6. What sound or noise do you hate? 
    7. What is your favorite curse word?
    8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
    9. What profession would you not like to do?
    10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Who'd win in a fight; you or Neil Seery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

1. What is your opinion on other fighters attempting to imitate Conor in terms of talking more to try to sell fights?
    2. Have you seen many new members of the gym walking in thinking they are gonna smash people straight away feeding off Conor's confidence?
    3. Are too many fighters both SBG and otherwise trying to be too much like Conor and now letting their own personality show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hi John, thanks for doing this.

You seem like somebody who is really busy with a seriously heavy schedule, yet you seem so relaxed anytime I see interviews or on social media. So my question is do you put this relaxed persona and excellent time management down to the discipline you gained through years of training BJJ or are these attributes you already had?

• Company Representative Posts: 64 Verified rep JohnSBG

Sorry, just couple more:

1. Do you have any issues with Kenny Bayless as a potential ref? He's on record saying Conor shouldn't be boxing and Dana also posted about it on Instagram. I personally don't think he should be anywhere near it.

2. Speaking of ref's, will you be hoping that the ref will actually allow some proper clinch work? There was plenty of clinch fighting in Kovalev-Ward last week but Floyd usually brings in ref's who separate fast.

3. Can you speak any Icelandic?

4. Do you envisage any more gym moves? Great journey from the Shed to the Naas Rd but if you move to a bigger site, will you incorporate any of the innovations Mjolnir have in their new gym?

5. Did you know that Conor is #4 athlete in the world for social media growth in 2017 adding 6.3 million followers on Instagram since Jan 1st. Only Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar (footballers) ahead of him in terms of growth. Do things like that surprise you given he hasn't even been fighting?

6. Do you think Cian Cowley can make the necessary improvements in his ground game to compete with the worlds best or is it simply a case he needs more work escaping body locks?

7. How did you score the Makwan fight? Any issues with the Judges giving it to Arnold Allen?

8. Do you still go to your own coach Matt Thornton for advice on techniques?

9. Have any of your spiders ever escaped and ran downstairs into the gym?

10. Do you regret not sound-proofing your office?

I could actually be here all day asking Q's so I'll leave it at that lol. I need to get off this and take up jiujitsu :pac:

- yes i'll be objecting to that
    - actually floyd likes to hold one, especially after been hit. difficult to hold on to someone trained in wrestling though.
    - about 5 words
    - yes 1 more move, maybe next year
    - i did not know that
    - he has plenty to improve. but most importantly has a warrior spirit that i cannot teach
    - agreed with judges
    - 100%
    - no
    - going thru an upgrade!
    Fergus_ wrote: »
    Considering Canelo Alvarez who is both stronger and more technical than Conor wasn't able to land on Mayweather, is there any chance for Conor to land?

yes.
    Mooooo wrote: »
    Hi John,
    Congrats on your success so far.
    Do you find the attitude towards mma changing in terms of some believing it to be too violent , not a sport etc?
    has been occasionally commented locally how some parents find the local GAA and soccer clubs.have kept their kids on the straight and narrow so to speak,do you find that given the discipline mma seems to require the same would be said for kids taking part? Personally I think playing any sport is great for kids and then the community in general.
    Also do you think the business part of the sport can or will go too far and end up being detrimental to mma in the long term? In terms of money being the main motivation as opposed to titles etc. Or do you feel it's all the one
    I would be just a sports fan in general as opposed to anything specific so these are more questions from the outside looking in I guess,
    Thanks

yes its changing. i agree ANY sport is good for kids. whats dangerous for kids is not contact sports, its NO sports.
    tkd93 wrote: »
    Is it true that you once tried a particilar engergy drink went for a run ending up on the other side of the dublin mountains and had to call your mum for a lift home?

no, but great story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 G Spark

Hi John,

Have you ever regretted/thought you made a mistake promoting someone?

Do you find, due to your fame/being the head coach, that people suck up to you?

Is there a fight/match/round that you competed in that you consider your most favourite and can you tell us about it please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Why have you chosen those specific sparring partners for Conor and how did you find out about them?

John, your success is an inspiration not just on a sporting level but also on a entrepreneurial level the way you persevered with SBG and your 'win or learn' mantra is certainly something i can relate to

Apologies if this has been asked already but do GAA counties ask you or Conor to give them motivational speeches in the same way Roy Keane used to give the Cork footballers for example?

yes have done some with -21 kerry team
    Hi John. Good luck to you in the coming months. Some questions:

1. If there's ever a movie made about Conor, which actor would you like to see play the role of yourself?

2. What's your opinion of Kevin Lee?

3. Do you think Ronda should walk away from MMA?

4. What words did you offer Conor after his defeat to Nate in their first fight?

5. Favourite computer game?

- tom hardy
    - good athlete
    - yes
    - lets go again but train like we used to
    - back in day was addicted to mario kart
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is there anyone you would love to train, from Ireland and/or worldwide?

no
    Where's your favourite place in Dublin to get a breakfast roll?

farmhouse
    Have you ever coached somebody that was so awful that you told them to stop or wouldn't let compete?

everyone awful at start otherwise whats point of me?
    John_D80 wrote: »
    Hello John and thanks for your time in doing this.

1. Can you remember the moment (if there was one) when you looked at McGregor and just KNEW he was going
    to be a world champion?

2. As a BJJ coach, do you expect a higher standard from your students who compete than you would from the
    guys and girls who dont? Do you treat them differently when it comes to promotions?

3. How many affiliate gyms does SBG Ireland have now?

4. Outside of your own team who is your favourite Irish MMA fighter?

his return fight after duffy loss
    technically no but they must be a lot fitter
    i think 12
    i said earlier but john mitchell is solid
    What do you think of the potential for Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) in the future for professional MMA fighters?

Since it's so hard to diagnose until later in life, how do you determine when a fighter should retire?

Are there any fighters from your club who you think should quit now while they're ahead, when it comes to CTE?

Any you have advocated quitting early due to this reason, in the past?

- it would seem inevitable
    - i keep a close eye on them
    - no, otherwise i would not coach them
    - yes

from my understanding it would appear main culprit is sparring rather than competing. we dont train that way. i aim to have zero incidents from my gym

lemmy1000 wrote: »
    Hi John, Thanks for taking the time to do this.

1) I love the few instructional videos you have on youtube. Would you ever think of doing an instructional DVD or anymore youtube videos?

2) If someone is only interested in doing MMA do you still have them train bjj in the gi?

3) I saw on instagram that Conor has his own gym now. Does he still train in SBG HQ and is there any problem with fans interrupting his or other pros training for photos etc?

- when they find that extra day in the week!
    - i dont make anyone do anything. however i tell them to wear it only if they want to get better much faster. usually works.
    - we now only train in nearby new place.
    Jesus Wept wrote: »

Any historical figure, who you would fight?

bruce lee
    Mellor wrote: »
    A few more jiu jitsu ones...

- How do you feel about the shift away from IBJJF rulesets towards sub-only rulesets that permit/encourage reaping/leg locks and the like.

- How's your leg lock game personally?

- Who's has the best jiu jitsu that you're ever rolled with?

- Whats your opinion on the effectiveness of guard pulling in MMA?

closer to a 'fight' so i prefer them
    basic
    gunnar
    limited
    Do you follow your brother on snapchat?

no, i dont do snapchat at all. my gf does though.
    Strange AMA where the posters seem to know way too much about the participant!!!!

As someone who has never seen McGregor in action but read the headlines do you worry about his future, after he hangs his gloves up?

i've never found 'worry' to be a good use of time
    Fox Hound wrote: »

1. What is your favorite word?
    2. What is your least favorite word?
    3. What turns you on?
    4. What turns you off? 
    5. What sound or noise do you love?
    6. What sound or noise do you hate? 
    7. What is your favorite curse word?
    8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
    10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?

- yes
    - no
    - orlagh
    - not orlagh
    - yes
    - no
    - maths teacher
    - fluffer
    - i'm impressed you lead a good life even though you didnt believe in me.

• Advertisement

Who'd win in a fight; you or Neil Seery?

nick cage would beat both of us
    1. What is your opinion on other fighters attempting to imitate Conor in terms of talking more to try to sell fights?
    2. Have you seen many new members of the gym walking in thinking they are gonna smash people straight away feeding off Conor's confidence?
    3. Are too many fighters both SBG and otherwise trying to be too much like Conor and now letting their own personality show?

- amuses me
    - yes
    - no
    Hi John, thanks for doing this.

You seem like somebody who is really busy with a seriously heavy schedule, yet you seem so relaxed anytime I see interviews or on social media. So my question is do you put this relaxed persona and excellent time management down to the discipline you gained through years of training BJJ or are these attributes you already had?

i dont really get stressed or angry. i've been like that my whole life.
    G Spark wrote: »
    Hi John,

Have you ever regretted/thought you made a mistake promoting someone?

Do you find, due to your fame/being the head coach, that people suck up to you?

Is there a fight/match/round that you competed in that you consider your most favourite and can you tell us about it please. Thanks.

no
    haven't noticed....but will watch for it now!
    i beat a good guy a few years ago (cant think of name now!) in final of some british grappling championships. was losing until final 10 seconds when i scrambled up from bottom to double leg him. twas a good day!
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    Why have you chosen those specific sparring partners for Conor and how did you find out about them?

i like how they move. allows us to drill some of the sequences we see working

went on to quickly check who else has done these. unsurprising to find out which one was most popular

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

How important is mindfulness in the fight game? Hollywood tells us it's the most important thing (Rocky II & III for example :pac:)
    Do you think the fighters need to have their personal lives in check to be successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Fox Hound wrote: »

- fluffer
    hahahaha "Fluffer" what a deadly answer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

went on to quickly check who else has done these. unsurprising to find out which one was most popular

Hahaha :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

You train someone who has more belief in himself than any Irish sportsman I know. His belief is of course supported my a ridiculous amount of hard work, commitment and skills (natural and developed).

Other sportsmen do the hard work and have the skill level - but the mental side, the self-belief isn't rocksolid.

My question - Through mentoring and training, do you think you could train/instill Connor's level of self-belief into someone who starts with very little?

Because i'd love you to instill it into the Irish soccer team!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What would you do if you caught one of your fighters taking steroids?

Do you care if any of your fighters take recreational drugs such as marijuana?

Have there been any fighters in the gym who you feel had the talent to make it the UFC but they didn't have the self belief for whatever reason?

How did Kamil Rutkowski's sad death affect you professionally?

Has another fighter's trainer or team mates ever tried to fight you? If so, what went down?

If a 6ft 7" Russian started a fight with you on the Luas, what would you do?

Is it true you won't shake Floyd's hand win, learn or draw?

When you get to the states will Conor be training in a Philly butcher's cold room, breaking cow ribs?

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

You didn't work in a place called Odenberg years ago John? Just wondering, I'm 34, I never did may type of martial arts, would BJJ be good or too old for it? Yourself and Conor are great role models, it makes me want to take up sport instead of sitting on the sofa all the time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Q1 - How one earth have you time to come on here for this?

Q2 - Will 3 minute rounds suit Conors cardio recovery and will cardio be trained different than his previous 205 routine?

Q3 - Would you deem going 12 rounds with Mayweather a moral victory or a failure sportingly?

Q4 - Would you allow your kids in the future fight professionally?

Q5 - Can you confirm the goat will fight Woodley next in December for the 3rd strap so I can book my flights now?

Q6 - Do you believe in defending belts or are you with Conor and thinking outside the box reguards next move after winning a strap

Q7 Holloway is Conors best win would you agree?

• Advertisement

How important is mindfulness in the fight game? Hollywood tells us it's the most important thing (Rocky II & III for example :pac:)
    Do you think the fighters need to have their personal lives in check to be successful?

i'd rather a fighter 100% mentally ready but only 30% physically ready than the other way round
    You train someone who has more belief in himself than any Irish sportsman I know. His belief is of course supported my a ridiculous amount of hard work, commitment and skills (natural and developed).

Other sportsmen do the hard work and have the skill level - but the mental side, the self-belief isn't rocksolid.

My question - Through mentoring and training, do you think you could train/instill Connor's level of self-belief into someone who starts with very little?

Because i'd love you to instill it into the Irish soccer team!

honestly i believe its about culture in the gym. i'm not sure what there's is like
    What would you do if you caught one of your fighters taking steroids?

Do you care if any of your fighters take recreational drugs such as marijuana?

Have there been any fighters in the gym who you feel had the talent to make it the UFC but they didn't have the self belief for whatever reason?

How did Kamil Rutkowski's sad death affect you professionally?

Has another fighter's trainer or team mates ever tried to fight you? If so, what went down?

If a 6ft 7" Russian started a fight with you on the Luas, what would you do?

Is it true you won't shake Floyd's hand win, learn or draw?

When you get to the states will Conor be training in a Philly butcher's cold room, breaking cow ribs?

Good luck.

- kick them out
    - no. within reason.
    - no
    - greatly, was close to quitting
    - yes. i'm still here ;)
    - finish it
    - correct. dont shake hands with women beaters
    - no

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement