Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

• 16-03-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

What are your plans for your hair during the current crisis ladies?
    I get my colour and cut done every 6-8 weeks and it would be due to be done next week or thereabouts.
    Awful to see so many businesses pulling down their shutters for the forseeable, including hairdressers. I could contact my hairdresser to do a 'nixer' but I'm not going to do so in the interests of safety.
    I'm going to end up looking like Worzel Gummidge :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I was only thinking earlier that im so glad I have balayage lately as opposed to full head highlights since it wont be as bad growing out. I felt very vain for the thought! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Better Worzel Gummidge than lying in a box...
    Or looking at your granny rolling through the curtain in a crematorium..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Great time to start saving money and colouring your own hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Yeah it definitely does feel a little silly to be concerned about stuff like this. I colour my hair at home but am very happy I got my eyebrows threaded last week!
    At least no one will see you, Worzel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Better Worzel Gummidge than lying in a box...
    Or looking at your granny rolling through the curtain in a crematorium..

Ah here, this is clearly a lighthearted thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Luckily I got my hair cut and coloured on Saturday. Even on the day, the girls working there didn't think it likely they'd be closed because of the virus, but it turned out to be their last day open.

If the closures last longer than my usual 6-8 weeks I'd be happy enough to dye it myself, and I'll get one of my sisters to cut it if necessary. I'm sure there are YouTube tutorials on how to do it, I'm not too worried about them messing up, it's only hair, it'll grow back!

What I'll really, really miss is getting my nails done, I always get Shellac every 2-3 weeks. And God knows what state my eyebrows will be in without regular maintenance!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I think the message from hairdressers is just don't do a diy job.. I'm sure a break will be good for your hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,572 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Shave it off is an option. I never realized women spent so so much on hair.

I think the message from hairdressers is just don't do a diy job.. I'm sure a break will be good for your hair!

I've seen loads of "please don't panic and box dye it" messages online :pac: we've all been there!

I've an undercut, it's the smartest thing I ever did. I wear my hair down every day for work so most people don't even know it's there, but it saves me so much time and effort in washing and drying and straightening etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭acequion

Just got my cut and colour done. Horror of horrors otherwise. :eek:

Twill last 8 weeks at most. I'll have it all eaten if this is still going on as bad by then. :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I fear not being able afford the luxury of getting the works done at the hairdressers if this goes on for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

In the current circumstances its not a big issue but, had let my hair grow out a little lately, wish I had gotten it cut last week like I had planned to. God knows when it'll be safe to get it done now.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I've read that infection can carry in hair so to tie it up or keep covered.
    How true that is I don't know but no harm tying it up anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

GaGa21 wrote: »
    I've read that infection can carry in hair so to tie it up or keep covered.
    How true that us I don't know but no harm tying it up anyway!

Unless you heard it from the world health organization or HSE I'd be disregarding it. No point creating more panic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Be right back

Which DIY hair dye is the best to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've an undercut, it's the smartest thing I ever did. I wear my hair down every day for work so most people don't even know it's there, but it saves me so much time and effort in washing and drying and straightening etc.

Ah here !!
    What is an undercut? Photo please.

Addle wrote: »
    Great time to start saving money and colouring your own hair.

Or bite the bullet and go natural. Imagine the savings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

You could make a turban from all the toilet roll you have stashed away you hoarder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I have quite low maintenance hair, no colour and I wear it long but I have a fringe. I was due to get my hair done on Saturday but cancelled as I felt uneasy about going.

I'll deal with my split ends for a few more weeks but I took the scissors to my fringe and I was a bit snip happy :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

You can not go to hairdresser or beautician or nail place and social distance properly.

More important things like your health & your close contacts health & hairdresser & hairdressers close contacts health.

You might not get codiv19 from hairdresser but you might give it to them. Some people have no symptoms for up to two weeks.

Stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Everytime you visit the barbers its €8-22 a pop.
    Everytime a woman visits the hairdressers its €70 minimum for a snip. A Hairdressers is a licence to print money. News flash, half the population are women.
    If my wife would let me, I would have a No. 3 all over so I could save on shampoo.

Ah here !!
    What is an undercut? Photo please.

Lol this is a rubbish photo but you'll get the general idea. I love it because it's totally invisible when my hair's down (I work in accountancy so need to be professional) but my hair is so low-maintenance coz of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Let's keep this thread in the lighthearted nature it was intended, and remember this is the Beauty forum.

I'm another one glad of the balayage, should survive! Sure I've nowhere to be going now.

A few hairdressers I follow on Instagram were pleading with people to back away from the box dye and scissors :pac: Might end up with more repair work done in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

I think this could save on quite a few trips to the Hairdresser.....

tussqn236fgmfebjxpkf.jpg

Women with short hair look amazing..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lol this is a rubbish photo but you'll get the general idea. I love it because it's totally invisible when my hair's down (I work in accountancy so need to be professional) but my hair is so low-maintenance coz of it.

Great idea.

Twee. wrote: »
    Let's keep this thread in the lighthearted nature it was intended, and remember this is the Beauty forum.

I'm another one glad of the balayage, should survive! Sure I've nowhere to be going now.

A few hairdressers I follow on Instagram were pleading with people to back away from the box dye and scissors :pac: Might end up with more repair work done in the long run.

I always remember my hairdresser asking me if i had used box dye on my hair in between an appointment and i was like no, and she was like "you're fooling nobody" :pac: she gets so annoyed because it does ruin her work, but sometimes it is needed in a pinch!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I just had mine chopped up shoulder length and full head of highlights last Wednesday before the shlt hit the fan. I should get at least 10 weeks out of that so I’m good on that front. I was laughing with someone yesterday saying the fellas won’t know what hit them now their women will have hair growing from every nook and cranny, grey hairs the works and nowhere to escape lol

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Recliner

I'm going grey but if I let my hair grow out I'll look like a pie bald!
    I'm not sure I'm ready for people to see my natural colour, whatever it actually is.
    Mix of brunette, blond and grey..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

It looks like its going to get ugly out there.

Advertisement