Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Brigade Call out charge

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Akron

linpoo wrote: »
    In a fire safety course I did before for work we were told its the person that calls them that is responsible for paying.

This is absolutely incorrect. I’d question who does your training...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd be of the opinion that they should chase Sector Alarm (phonewatch) for the charge, they're the ones who initiated an unnecessary call out. If they then want to chase the landlord that's up to them to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Totally wrong that anyone should be billed for calling a fire brigade.
    We already pay for it through tax

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Do you have house insurance? I know my insurer covers up to €1,500 of the callout charge cost.

What's the process? Pay up and then make the insurance claim?

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭FluffPiece

Penfailed wrote: »

Depends on your insurer. Most just ask you to forward any invoices on to them and they pay it directly to the local authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭FluffPiece

ED E wrote: »
    I'd be of the opinion that they should chase Sector Alarm (phonewatch) for the charge, they're the ones who initiated an unnecessary call out. If they then want to chase the landlord that's up to them to work out.

Phone watch make the call on behalf of their client, not the fire service's behalf. If the client wants to pursue phone watch for unnecessary calls, that's up to them. It's not something the local authority should be wasting time and resources on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Penfailed wrote: »

My landlords insurance only covered it in the event there was actual fire damage being claimed for.

Didn't cover a false alarm charge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

errlloyd wrote: »
    My landlords insurance only covered it in the event there was actual fire damage being claimed for.

Didn't cover a false alarm charge.

That's a right pain in the arse.

I've found that most insurance companies are fairly OK with covering them so long as it wasn't a vexatious call or the likes. I mean it makes sense, insurance companies want people to contact the fire brigade in a timely manner. Cheaper to pay a callout charge than paying a claim for a burnt down building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Strictly the liability here is likely to rest between the owners management company and the fire service. Automatic call out of fire brigade for an alarm activation without confirmation or some form of alarm filtration is uncommon in apartment blocks and it’s suitability in the first instance would be open to question.

Secondly, cooking / smoke within an apartment shouldn’t give rise to a false activation of the block alarm system. To comply with the relevant standards there should be no smoke detection within the apartment connected to the landlord system. So there may be a secondary issue in terms of the fitness for purpose of the fire detection and alarm system.

I wouldn’t be too quick to be parting with money for a fire brigade callout in such circumstances.

Advertisement