Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UL Paramedics Course

• 20-11-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

I'm currently a Leaving Cert student looking to become a paramedic once I finish school. I've been looking into UL's Paramedic Studies course, which seems appealing at first glance but after reading some comments on other threads I'm fairly skeptical.

Assuming you reach the entry requirements (currently 313 CAO Points, a LC Science subject and a C1 Driving License), does anyone know how appealing this degree is to the National Ambulance Service? In other words, how easy would it be to find employment in the NAS after completing this course?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

As far as I know, but don't take it as Gospel, the UL course teaches the UK system which is different to whats used here and they do send you to the UK for a year for training & placement. When you complete it, you would need to independently apply to PHECC:
    Note: If you did not qualify as a Paramedic in Ireland, you will need to first contact the Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) in order for them to review your qualification and provide you with the equivalent Irish grade. You will then be able to apply for campaigns that launch at that grade through the National Recruitment Service.
    I know someone who's done that course and they did get their PHECC licence, so I can ask them on some of the specifics next I see them.

Another option, and perhaps one that you should look into is applying as a Student Paramedic to the NAS College:
    http://www.nationalambulanceservice.ie/nascollege/Student-Paramedic/
    Successful completion of the second year of the programme leads to registration with the Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council at Paramedic level. Completion of the third year will lead to the awarding of a Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree. At this point a permanent employment contract may be issued.

You'd be trained the same way as folks in the NAS are, you'd have your placements here and at Irish hospitals too. I have a few contacts in the NAS, so I could certainly ask if you had any particular questions - just drop me a PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

As far as I know, but don't take it as Gospel, the UL course teaches the UK system which is different to whats used here and they do send you to the UK for a year for training & placement. When you complete it, you would need to independently apply to PHECC:

I know someone who's done that course and they did get their PHECC licence, so I can ask them on some of the specifics next I see them.

Another option, and perhaps one that you should look into is applying as a Student Paramedic to the NAS College:
    http://www.nationalambulanceservice.ie/nascollege/Student-Paramedic/

You'd be trained the same way as folks in the NAS are, you'd have your placements here and at Irish hospitals too. I have a few contacts in the NAS, so I could certainly ask if you had any particular questions - just drop me a PM :)

And you would also be paid while training and straight into full time employment. You defo need a C1 license for this but if you want to be a paramedic in Ireland this is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

As the other posters have said, NAS teach their 3 year level 8 with UCC. You'll get placements in Ireland, with NAS, and be paid to train/work. Once you complete the course you will get a permanent contract with NAS.

The UL course, which NAS have no agreements with, will send you off the UK to learn a different system/skillset to the current PHECC paramedic.
    You'll have all the costs associated with that too, living abroad, and paying year fee's to UL.

The UL course is do-able and when you pass it you can apply to PHECC to get your qualification transferred to Ireland, and then apply to NAS. But it'll be a shock to the system.

While the UK does have many similarities, it's very different here.

People have done it though.

You'd be better off just applying direct to NAS once you have your LC and C1 licence, and you can start earning a nice wage while learning.
    You don't even need to go through the whole CAO process with NAS. How many points you got in the LC doesn't even matter.
    The only thing with NAS is, they tend to look for more experienced people. But it's worth a shot regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

LRNM wrote: »
    How many points you got in the LC doesn't even matter.
    The only thing with NAS is, they tend to look for more experienced people. But it's worth a shot regardless.
    It doesn't matter how many points you got but am I right in saying you do need your LC with 2 scientific subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

It doesn't matter how many points you got but am I right in saying you do need your LC with 2 scientific subjects?

Yes, you need to pass your LC (a D in lower level is same as A in higher level - all you need is a pass). And its 1 science subject.

• Advertisement

You don't need a leaving cert. You need one of the following.

A leaving cert
    OR
    A level 5 QQI/FETAC in either, nursing studies, food science, laboratory techniques, community health studies, or healthcare support. You must have obtained at least 4 distinctions.
    OR
    A relevant qualification above level 5. i.e a degree.
    OR
    2 years full time experience as an EMT. Voluntary work doesn't count but obviously is a big plus once you get to interview stage.

You just need 1 of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

As a NAS paramedic, I would advise to apply through NAS.

As the lads have said, your placements are in Ireland. Hospital and ambulance placements in year 1 will be close to home. You are paid from day 1. The training facilities are top notch.

You will get a degree from NAS too. Pay is quite good for students. PM for any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mouseylocks

Hi, i randomly came across this post, but I work in UL and am familiar with the course. You only need one science subject, this can be ag science, phy/chem etc but it is an entry criteria. Your 1 year postgrad intern placement is in the UK but it's a fully paid placement (look up the EMT1 salary scale in the UK) you are also eligible for the Erasmus grant which is approx 4k. Saying that there will obviously be expenses moving over and being away from family etc. You are taught the PHECC paramedic CPGs on the programme these have been married to the UK EMT1 standard and reviewed/approved by PHECC so you will get your PHECC paramedic license at the end of year 2 (UL is listed as an RI on the PHECC website if you want to double check :-) ).
    Again saying that it's also brilliant that NAS now offer a degree programme and it's paid from the beginning so also a good option and I've heard good things about their programme too.
    Best of luck with your decision....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

or you always join the DFB...

mr cowen wrote: »
    or you always join the DFB...

Thats if you only want to work in Dublin city, and be a fire fighter at the same time, and you also have massive competition.

NAS only tend to receive a couple hundred applications and interview <100 people per recruitment.

DFB is definitely an option but not for everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement