Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacement hearing aid

• 30-06-2020 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Apparantly I am not the only one to lose a hearing aid due to mask wearing in recent times. I was quite happy with the one I had but now technology has moved on and I am offered 'smartphone' connection to make adjustments and rechargeable batteries. I presume at an additional cost. I would be reluctant to have a bluetooth device on so close to brain being an auld one and I would worry about the rechargeable station being something else to bring when travelling or leave behind. I am used to the batteries when out and about, always a spare one to hand.

I have onesided deafness and hearing aid is of value in a crowded place such as classes/meetings and for watching a few TV programs worth putting it on for,

So anyone have opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have new hearing aid over a week now. I find the rechargeable one a bit bigger and even easier to flip off the back of ear. I wonder whether to go back to simple batteries? Not too happy about another bit of kit ie the recharging station to take when travelling ( and lose!). The app with bluetooth is handy for listening to audio direct from phone so can take phonecalls or listen to podcasts. I dont find the hearing bit of the aid any better than previous and suspect it needs a bit of a tweak to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Garlinge wrote: »
    I dont find the hearing bit of the aid any better than previous and suspect it needs a bit of a tweak to improve.
    Do you find that it auto-tunes noise into "not too loud, not to quite"?

It is set to 'automatic' but I find I need to up the volume with the app to watch tv and then does not sound great but that could be quality of TV audio. The only other info on the App is the battery life. My main reason for having h aid was for classes/meetings and not been able to roadtest that aspect in present circumstances. I have follow up session with audiologist. So difficult and so personal to assess. I wonder if I should test next level up in their offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It is set to 'automatic' but I find I need to up the volume with the app to watch tv and then does not sound great but that could be quality of TV audio.
    This is what the automatic setting does. I explain it better further down.
    I wonder if I should test next level up in their offering?
    If you can get the make/model you are using, and the "next one up", to see the difference.

One example would be more programs; my Menu 5 has 3 programs; automatic, like what you have, automatic+loop, and all sound.

Automatic can be good for conversations in a pub when the people are near, or if in a noisy environment; the hearing aid will automatically tune out the noise to a hum. For example, if I'm near generators or in a computer server room, the hearing aid will tune out the noise to a background hum.

The loop allows me to get direct sound with some phones, in public offices that have the induction loop symbol, and sometimes in cinemas. I've had the audiologist set it at 50/50, so I can use it to listen to music using a personal loop, and still hear the sound around me, or the person next to me in the cinema.

All sound is just that. I hear the sound without an automatic filter. So, it corrects my hearing so I hear "correctly", and this is what I select to hear music, TV, film, as it should be.

Not impressed with the App so far! It stopped working and not resolved by reinstalling and 'pairing' again. I see a lot of poor reviews now for same. So a nuisance if depending on it to adjust volume. I have good hearing in one ear but the hearing aid does not bring up the bad ear to the same level. I will have a lot of questions for next visit to audiologist. Best bit so far is ability to hear audio from smartphone in hearing aid... and also to answer phone calls. But I think I can only tune in to one device at a time so that means I have to chose if want to link to car bluetooth.

I know they also sell a transmitter thing to attach to TV... seems like a needless add on when was very happy with TV sound from previous h aid. I will see if I can have more settings than automatic.

• Advertisement

In the end I returned fancy hearing aid and got an entry level one. Sound amplification seems fine for my needs tho as yet not been able to trial in a crowded situation eg class or meeting.

But I have not been able to settle with a selection of 'domes' and now have had a mould made. I cant seem to get this to stay 'in' and not drift out and squeal away, very annoying to me and others about me. Is this the end of the road or should I return to audiologist for a 'better' mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do return. I could not cope with the standard issue in-ear domes when I had my first hearing aid, and had a mould made, which I found excellent. However now I am using just the standard domes and no problems on the aids I have now, so I have no idea what the difference is. You are paying a lot for your aid though, and a good bit of that is service to get it right, so get it right! :)

Thanks for that! I had first aid for 5 yrs happily enough with dome tho it did come out occasionally but not all the time! I wonder if the wire connecting the receiver might need to be a bit longer? this is getting to be a bit of a saga with numerous visits since last lockdown lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

My audiologist recommended that I rub a tiny amount of Vaseline on the mould before putting it in my ear. The reason for that was my ear used to get sore and ‘weep’ a bit. It works great.

Thanks for that, was wondering but hope Vasiline does not damage device ? Audiologist seemed bit disinterested in whole matter, did not bother to ask me to put in new mould etc. Repeated reinsertion is making for soreness so back using the soft silicone dome (forgot to bring 'spare' second hearing aid for new mould). I have left message for 'call back' and another week passes and I am less inclined to be bothering with this if covid situation deteriorates. Impression for mould was taken in early September.

• Advertisement
Advertisement