Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Primary school Irish books 1988-1995

• 04-04-2009 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Does anybody remember the old Irish books we used at primary school?

The readers I can remember were:
    Ispíní agus Subh
    Diarmuid an Dragúin
    Tine Chnámh
    Dioscó na mBó

The exercise books were:
    Tig liom
    Bog liom
    Gluais liom
    Rith liom
    Siúil liom

Anyone remember these and what order they came in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Jaygon2009

Bun go Barr came in around 1995 I think and the series has been revamped since, probably keeping in line with the revised syllabus in 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 sparkydee27

I remember bog liom it had a blue cover. Think i would have been in 4th or 5th class for that one. It definitely brings me back!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i remember diarmuid an dragún, i think that was in second class?
    first class irish reader was PÓl agus a chairde... i still remember the first lines were something like 'seo é lorcán luch, tá sé ag ithe.' next page... 'seo í lusaí luch, tá sí ag Ól' (my keyboard is refusing to let me put a fada on an 'o' unless it's capital).

the other irish readers arent too familiar though...

stÓr nua, i have vague recollections of.. i think that was it for all 3rd-6th class. stÓr nua 3,4,5... they all had horribly boring colours... dark greens, browns, blues... no pictures on the front either.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I used all them in my Gaelscoil....

We also had Siúl Siar, for History..
    Gafa le Mata, Maths...

There was a Geography one as well, I think..

I think it Went:
    Siúl Liom
    Rith Liom
    Tar Liom
    Gluais Liom
    Bog Liom

Then, I'm sure Ispíní agus Subh was third Class, Tine Cnámh - fourth class, and Dioscó na mBó was Fifth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't suppose anyone else remembers Tadhg Buí ?

Looking up a reference for this post I found out that Buí wasn't his surname. Yellow, who was ever called Yellow I ask you. He was blonde. Something the teachers never told us, another little obstacle put in the way of learning. How can non-native speaking kids ever understand colloquialisms like that? They couldn't have made learning Irish any more difficult if they tried.

End rant.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »

Looking up a reference for this post I found out that Buí wasn't his surname. Yellow, who was ever called Yellow I ask you. He was blonde. Something the teachers never told us, another little obstacle put in the way of learning. How can non-native speaking kids ever understand colloquialisms like that? They couldn't have made learning Irish any more difficult if they tried.

End rant.

Well, you could argue that they would struggle to learn Irish or colloquialisms in English. What do you think they would think the first time someone was described as "Gas".

In French Classes we're encouraged to learn slang and colluqialisms, and yes its difficult, but its not a barrier to learning.

Theres also the fact that most of the young Irish children would have assumed that he was called "Yellow" as well... They wouldn't have understood it either, particularly at a young age, but it probably only took the teachers one minute explanation as to why he was called "Buí" (with the possibility of pointing to a picture of a boy with yellow hair on the cover of the book( to set things straight...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

IRcolm wrote: »
    I used all them in my Gaelscoil....

We also had Siúl Siar, for History..
    Gafa le Mata, Maths...

There was a Geography one as well, I think..

I think it Went:
    Siúl Liom
    Rith Liom
    Tar Liom
    Gluais Liom
    Bog Liom

Then, I'm sure Ispíní agus Subh was third Class, Tine Cnámh - fourth class, and Dioscó na mBó was Fifth...

Good memory!!!

There's a list of them on the Gill and McMillan website

Siúil Liom
    Rith Liom
    Suas Liom
    Gluais Liom
    Bog Liom
    Buail Liom
    Tar Liom

Think I had most of those, my younger brother used ispini agus subh etc

I remember also, that the first two, had a red and yellow cover respectively and were much bigger than the rest because you had to be able practice writing in the books... Whereas in the later ones it was just assigning excercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 randomcorkgirl

is breá liom Pol agus a chairde! Bhí siad ar fheabhas ar fad. Chaith mé cúpla trathnona ag leamh Pol sa seomra ranga!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Anseo is Ansiúd ftw :P

Diosco na mBo had a pretty funky cover from recollection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Figure it Out
    Busy at Maths
    Footprints (history)
    Gluais Liom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I remember us watching Pol agus a chairde on the projector. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

kraggy wrote: »
    Figure it Out
    Busy at Maths
    Footprints (history)
    Gluais Liom
    I barely remember footprints.

I used to get me copy of spraoi every year.

I used to get Spraoi in First Class. Wasn't it a continuation of the 'Súgradh' series?

Does anybody remember which reader came after 'Dioscó na mBó' in Sixth class?

I wonder if publishers keep an archive?

Btw
    Can't seem to find the 'liom' series listed anywhere on the Gill and Macmillan website.

Anyone remember any of the old English readers?

First class was 'Away to Fairyland'
    Sixth was 'A Breath of freedom'

and who could forget 'A treasury of English'?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 daisydotty

Ah the memories!remember the lilac/light purple "spelling and tables" and i remember one of those irishbooks spaslong.does anyone remember maths mastery.convinced i had a book called that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I bet i still have a load of these at home in my wardrobe- my mum is always saying to me to come home and throw them away!

I think I remember busy at Maths alright

Cant remember the names of the irish books but the characters were Neili agus Lulu agus Micki agus Rira!

Then there was good old Ann and Barry for English!

It'd be great to see them all again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 fergusm76

Jaygon2009 wrote: »
    Anyone remember any of the old English readers?

First class was 'Away to Fairyland'
    Sixth was 'A Breath of freedom'

and who could forget 'A treasury of English'?

I remember Away to Fairyland in 1st
    Myth and Magic in 2nd
    Treasure Seekers was in there somewhere (possibly 5th)
    The others are a blur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Ruari agus rira and Nelly the Elephant rira was a fox IIRC, these were between Junior Infants and 1st class I think, I also had Tine Chnamh and other published by Folens I think, I was exempted in 5th class due to my difficulties with it anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I had Maths Mastery! The covers were pretty ugly I remember. Fottprints (which was never in print), Ann and Barry and the Pól agus a Chairde books. Dioscó na mbó was the last one, for 6th class.

Anybody remember the religion books? I had them starting about 1996... one was Come and See and another was called My Friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭johnl

Spáslong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

'Diosco na mBo' ... I can't remember if we ever had that, but that teideal is fantastic; reminds me of Coppers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Ruu wrote: »
    I remember us watching Pol agus a chairde on the projector. :)

Oh god the old projector! Manually feeding the flim from the silver cannister because they could never quite figure out how to feed it to the receiving spool....

Bríd agus Páid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

The only ones I can remeber are ispíní agus subh, Peadar Pluaise andLion at school..

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

sugradh,busy at maths,figure it out, ann and barry, mici agus rira,come and see,my friends,grammer na gaeilge. oh to be back in simpler times!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Hagar wrote: »

End rant.

Haha.
    Love it.
    Never liked Irish, probably for the reasons (quite well) outlined above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

I found one of my old irish books three weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

For English we had Ann and Barry, followed swiftly by Emma and Joe...

Irish...Pol agus a chairde!

• Advertisement

Would really love to get my hands on a copy of the old english reader 'Away to fairyland!'

Advertisement