Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Superthread] Mayweather vs Pacman **NO STREAMING REQUESTS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pac_man wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if it happened at 160. Gives Mayweather another belt at a new weight which in turn adds another layer to his legacy.I just hope to jaysus it doesn't happen.

160 with a catchweight. Just like Cotto-Martinez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

But I thought Floyd wants Manny, like he has always wanted the fight..........yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

Floyd again is ducking not only Pac but Khan now as well by leaning towards Cotto.

I'm starting to think that he'll fight anyone bar Khan .... not so long ago he was "leaving it up to the fans" whether he'd fight Khan or Maidana .... he then went with Maidana (who Khan had beaten) .... meanwhile Khan is impressive against Collazo surely putting himself in the mix after Floyd duly beats Maidana .... but no, Floyd takes on Maidana again ????? and duly beats him again .... Khan goes on to give an exhibition against Alexander (who Floyd once hailed as the heir apparent) but Floyd gets in first talking of Pacquaio and now Cotto .... if he plays it out long enough we'll be back to Ramadan and then he'll tell us Khan is ducking him

on the Pac situation it's interesting that he's mad for the fight after Manny is beaten twice including a heavy KO .... Floyd is on the slide and he knows it, but he thinks Manny is worse and if he has to, will use it to avoid Khan

Floyd has an illustrious list of big names on his record, but there's not too many of them that got their first loss against him

all jmho, and while I think Khan can give Floyd all sorts of problems, the prospect of the crowing on Sky if he were to beat him, galls me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I think if the Cotto rematch is what's gonna happen, best case scenario would be that Cotto forces Floyd to fight at 160 or else jog on and let Cotto fight Canelo which would be as big for Cotto. At 160 Cotto could cause some real damage to Floyd while Floyd would be a lot heavier than he'd be comfortable with. Pipe dream though

The Floyd fight is much better for Cotto in terms of the risk and danger. I am not sure of the financial difference, but he would make a serious amount, that is for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

walshb wrote: »
    The Floyd fight is much better for Cotto in terms of the risk and danger. I am not sure of the financial difference, but he would make a serious amount, that is for sure.

Again it depends on what weight, if it was 160, Floyd would really be taking a risk, whereas at 154, he's playing it safe again.

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Again it depends on what weight, if it was 160, Floyd would really be taking a risk, whereas at 154, he's playing it safe again.

I am not sure a 6 lbs heavier Cotto is anything different. He's not all that great anyway. Might even be a tad slower weighing 160 + lbs on fight night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

I am not sure a 6 lbs heavier Cotto is anything different. He's not all that great anyway. Might even be a tad slower weighing 160 + lbs on fight night.

Agree.

Floyd would probably still come into the ring between 147 and 150lbs.

Even if Cotto did weigh 160, Mayweather would be too slick and hard to hit.

Love to see Andy Lee in with Cotto, really think a proper middleweight would beat Cotto quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

pac_man wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if it happened at 160. Gives Mayweather another belt at a new weight which in turn adds another layer to his legacy.I just hope to jaysus it doesn't happen.

Floyd will chase that fake history if he can. It fits too perfectly with the nature of his career.

I think Cotto believes Roach has restored the style he once had at his 140lb peak, and that given how hard he pushed Floyd last time, he'll stand a real chance of beating him fighting in his old aggressive posture.

But in reality I think all Cotto has done is beat a crocked, one-legged fighter who had just been beaten by Martin Murray. Cotto was dominated by Austin Trout in the second half of their fight, at 154. He's barely even a force at 154. At middleweight he's a novelty act.

For these reasons, both will see opportunities in fighting the other. I hope it doesn't happen, but given how long the Cotto-Canelo negotiations have dragged on it's bound to be a possibility.

Apparently Top Rank are saying Manny has agreed everything for a fight on May 2nd with Mayweather so its down to him again if true, if it goes ahead it will be in the MGM grand in Vegas, 2nd May.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Apparently Top Rank are saying Manny has agreed everything for a fight on May 2nd with Mayweather so its down to him again if true, if it goes ahead it will be in the MGM grand in Vegas, 2nd May.

Interesting. Floyd usually has his opponent picked by February if memory serves me. I am excited. Not massively, like I would have been in 2009/2010, but excited nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Interesting. Floyd usually has his opponent picked by February if memory serves me. I am excited. Not massively, like I would have been in 2009/2010, but excited nonetheless!

I promised myself I would not be getting myself hyped about this until i'm sitting in front of the box at stupid o clock with a few tins, a heap of popcorn & Buffer / Lennon jnr doing the intro. :D

Apart from the names involved I don't see anything exciting here. Style wise this is probably going to be a bad fight. With Manny's sort of predictable, and at times, reckless offense, and Floyd's OTT caution and spoiling I see a lot of shots missing and a lot of posturing and inside spoiling. I would have to back Floyd, as for me me it's his size that could be the real factor.

On a side-note they are looking at generating a live gate of 40 Million dollars! Wow.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/1/13/7542117/pacquiao-agrees-to-terms-for-mayweather-fight-on-may-2

I just hope that if BoxNation get this that they won't PPV it. As far as I know they have never done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Floyd's timing of the right hand will be key, & we know how good he is at it. I don't think his jab to the body will be of much use with Manny being a fairly mobile southpaw.

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Floyd's timing of the right hand will be key, & we know how good he is at it. I don't think his jab to the body will be of much use with Manny being a fairly mobile southpaw.

The whole fight could be won with the lead right and the jab. Floyd just does not put combinations together very well. If Manny isn't fast enough, or if Floyd's reflexes are good enough, I see Manny going over Floyd's shoulder the entire night, with Floyd ducking low, ref breaking it, couple lead rights or jabs, and rinse and repeat....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The whole fight could be won with the lead right and the jab. Floyd just does not put combinations together very well. If Manny isn't fast enough, or if Floyd's reflexes are good enough, I see Manny going over Floyd's shoulder the entire night, with Floyd ducking low, ref breaking it, couple lead rights or jabs, and rinse and repeat....

Hope the ref is strong in this case, i wonder will the choice of ref cause an argument if the negotiations get that far. I still get angry to this day the way Hatton was treated by Joe Cortez when he fought Mayweather. He never got a chance to get stuck in at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I still think Mayweather will find a way to avoid Pacman.

I think Pacman wins this and Floyd knows it.

Thought Floyd looked poor v a relatively limited Maidana and was badly buzzed too, that tells me his punch resistance is fading. I think he won't get away with holding and spoiling as the ref will hopefully be more neutral than is normal given Pacmans status as a legend and fan favorite, Mayweather won't be the overwhelming attraction in this scrap that should ensure more equitable refereeing. Pacman will take advantage, start at a savage pace and use his movement to really pressure Floyd, being the agressor may sway the judges to award him rounds even if Floyd potshots.

Would love to see the fight but I don't think it'll happen.

Que formal announcement this afternoon!

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    I still think Mayweather will find a way to avoid Pacman.

I think Pacman wins this and Floyd knows it.

Thought Floyd looked poor v a relatively limited Maidana and was badly buzzed too, that tells me his punch resistance is fading. I think he won't get away with holding and spoiling as the ref will hopefully be more neutral than is normal given Pacmans status as a legend and fan favorite, Mayweather won't be the overwhelming attraction in this scrap that should ensure more equitable refereeing. Pacman will take advantage, start at a savage pace and use his movement to really pressure Floyd, being the agressor may sway the judges to award him rounds even if Floyd potshots.

Would love to see the fight but I don't think it'll happen.

Que formal announcement this afternoon!

Interesting take. I will lean with Floyd here. Range and size being important. If Manny is real clever and not too anxious he could make Floyd lead, and that may be important. If Manny can really pick and choose his attacks and nip in and out then Floyd may be forced to be the aggressor. That could work to Manny's advantage.

If Manny is too eager I see him getting picked off with pot shots. Manny needs to be more unpredictable with his offense than ever before. Floyd likely needs to be more active and busy than he has been in quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Interesting take. I will lean with Floyd here. Range and size being important. If Manny is real clever and not too anxious he could make Floyd lead, and that may be important. If Manny can really pick and choose his attacks and nip in and out then Floyd may be forced to be the aggressor. That could work to Manny's advantage.

If Manny is too eager I see him getting picked off with pot shots. Manny needs to be more unpredictable with his offense than ever before. Floyd likely needs to be more active and busy than he has been in quite some time.

Despite your earlier post I think you're getting excited by this one :-)!

Cotto's fight with Canelo is starting to look shaky. He has said he is open now to a Mayweather fight. Hope this talk doesn't get legs as Cotto might be willing to fight for a lot less money than Pacquiao. This might be enough to turn Mayweathers head.

• Advertisement

All the talk is that Hayman and Mayweather are actively pursuing the fight with Cotto, don't think its Mayweathers head needs turning to be perfectly honest.

The back channels have been open between Haymon and Cotto all along. The question is whether it's Plan A or Plan B.

Just read online that Pacquaio has issued an end of the month deadline to Mayweather, he also said that he will go into talks with Amir Khan for a fight in April or May if the contracts are not signed by Mayweather by the 31st.

Don't be at all surprised if Mayweather seeks Cotto again. I have a feeling this fight will be made. Anyway, Khan-Pac is for me a tastier match than Floyd-Manny!

The Khan vs Pac fight can happen later down the line, c'mon we all want to see the big one happening- finally!!! :)

The Khan vs Pac fight can happen later down the line, c'mon we all want to see the big one happening- finally!!! :)

As usual the ball is in Mayweathers court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

It won't be Manny and Khan though it'll be Manny and some Top Rank B or C list fighter as it's easier to make... Vargas being mentioned..

I very much doubt it's happening. All the talk from Floyd is depressingly familiar. He just doesn't seem to want any part of Manny.

As walshb said, Floyd-Cotto 2 for the 'middleweight championship' seems far more likely.

Alex Ariza gave a recent interview where he said Mayweather won't be figting Manny on May 2nd

"In a recent interview with .abs-cbnnews.com, Ariza said something that just might cause a big wave of displeased fan outbursts: “It’s not going to happen. We’re fighting May 2nd but it’s not going to be Manny Pacquiao. Hopefully eventually Bob Arum will blow away in the wind or whatever. As soon as we get rid of him, we can get it on.”

The Bob Arum angle is likely just another obstacle being used by team Mayweather.

• Advertisement

Its just rinse and repeat tbh, same song and dance over the years.

Advertisement