Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Superthread] Mayweather vs Pacman **NO STREAMING REQUESTS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Was Canelo not a threat ? Was Cotto not a threat ?

The simple answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

kryogen wrote: »
    The simple answer is no.

You must be one of a small few that thought that. Everyone was raving about Canelo before Mayweather schooled him and a lot of people would like to see Mayweather fight Cotto again before he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Was Canelo not a threat ? Was Cotto not a threat ?
    No (too basic) in Canelos case and 8 years ago maybe for Cotto.
    As I said before he's the best of his generation and it's more than possible we will wait years to see a talent like him again but historically he's just not a top ten fighter.

You must be one of a small few that thought that. Everyone was raving about Canelo before Mayweather schooled him and a lot of people would like to see Mayweather fight Cotto again before he retires.

Are you trying to suggest everybody was saying Canelo was going to beat Mayweather?

I would disagree very strongly with that, likewise Cotto, I didn't hear too many people suggesting Cotto was going to take Mayweather out, maybe if the fight happened some years earlier, at the right weight, but not then!

It was still a good showing from Cotto in the middle rounds though, love Cotto

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Henno30 wrote: »
    Realistically, who beats Hearns at 147 apart from the two Rays?

You know, a guy like Vernon Forrest would have posed big problems, but yes, Hearns was pretty brilliant at WW. You don't knock him out, then prepare to lose on points or by KO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Are you trying to suggest everybody was saying Canelo was going to beat Mayweather?

I would disagree very strongly with that, likewise Cotto, I didn't hear too many people suggesting Cotto was going to take Mayweather out, maybe if the fight happened some years earlier, at the right weight, but not then!

It was still a good showing from Cotto in the middle rounds though, love Cotto

No I believed Mayweather was going to beat both. But boxing experts and fans were saying that they were a threat. Why are some people calling for Mayweather to fight Cotto again so ?

I never believed that Cotto would be a real threat. Cotto was never great, and was less so after the mauling from Margarito and Pacman.

I didn't give Canelo much of a shot. Always thought his style was not great for Myweather. Props for Floyd in taking the bout, albeit at a 152 lbs catchweight.

No I believed Mayweather was going to beat both. But boxing experts and fans were saying that they were a threat. Why are some people calling for Mayweather to fight Cotto again so ?

Certain boxing experts and fans would also try to convince you Bellew/Cleverly was PPV material or was going to be a good fight.

One of the problems with ranking Mayweather historically is the standard of fighters around in his time.If you take the late 70's early 80,s as a benchmark you had.

Leonard
    Duran
    As absolute elite all time top 10 fighters.

Hearns
    As top 15 although some would say top 10.

Just below that rank you have.
    Benitez
    Pryor
    Arguello
    Who would all be top 4 p4p if around now and are better than anyone Floyd has fought.

Mayweathers best wins are arguably Hernandez Corrales and Castillo with Canelo having the majority of his career ahead of him it's hard to say how good a win that was.
    The one fighter who could be conceivably be ranked close to Floyd is the one man he has never fought which damages both fighters resumes irretrievably for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Coolfinish

dinorebel wrote: »
    No (too basic) in Canelos case and 8 years ago maybe for Cotto.
    As I said before he's the best of his generation and it's more than possible we will wait years to see a talent like him again but historically he's just not a top ten fighter.

Cotto is at the peak of his powers now, too many people think he's washed up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Coolfinish

dinorebel wrote: »
    To be top 10 for me he would of had to have fought and beaten Pac 5 or 6 years ago and beaten the likes of Mosley and De La Hoya when they were prime not years past.

Whether he fought those fights or not makes absolutely no difference to how good Mayweather is. He's as good as he is regardless of what fights he takes.

Coolfinish wrote: »
    Cotto is at the peak of his powers now, too many people think he's washed up.

How do you come to that conclusion? What has he done? He is at MW, and has faced nothing there apart from an old and injured Martinez. Let's see how the peak of his powers stand up to a test against an actual fit top class MW.

Coolfinish wrote: »
    Whether he fought those fights or not makes absolutely no difference to how good Mayweather is. He's as good as he is regardless of what fights he takes.

Agreed.

As mentioned, Mosley and Oscar were a few years ahead of Floyd. Floyd should not be criticized for not meeting them at their peak. He was a SFW/LW fighter then. They were fully established WW fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Cotto is absolutely not at the peak of his powers. He is not a MW and I don't regard him as a particularly strong JMW either. His best performance there came against Floyd who is an average sized WW.

Just look at how Trout dominated him in the second half of their fight if you want to get a sense of what a sham the Martinez fight was. Even the Sergio that beat Chavez Jr, never mind the prime 154 Sergio, was twice the fighter Austin Trout is.

He has totally shot for the Cotto fight, and in all honestly if his previous fight hadn't been in Argentina he would already have lost his title to Martin Murray. That tells you where he was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/08/floyd-mayweather-murder-suicide-facetime-witness-earl-hayes-stephanie-moseley/

Slightly off topic, but apparently Mayweather was on the phone to his friend when he pulled out a gun, shot his wife and then shot himself. Regardless of what you think of Mayweather as a person, this is a pretty awful thing to witness.

Gintonious wrote: »
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/08/floyd-mayweather-murder-suicide-facetime-witness-earl-hayes-stephanie-moseley/

Slightly off topic, but apparently Mayweather was on the phone to his friend when he pulled out a gun, shot his wife and then shot himself. Regardless of what you think of Mayweather as a person, this is a pretty awful thing to witness.

According to the TMZ report, Mayweather was calling his friend weak for not leaving her after she cheated on him. If that's true he's got a lot to answer for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Garlicrosemary

According to the TMZ report, Mayweather was calling his friend weak for not leaving her after she cheated on him. If that's true he's got a lot to answer for.

He's got absolutely nothing to answer for if that's true. He should have broken up with her if she cheated.

Mayweather has a lot to answer for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

walshb wrote: »
    Mayweather has a lot to answer for?

Manny would have been far more supportive!

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Manny would have been far more supportive!
    Manny would of been placing bets on the outcome;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Gathering pace now... May 2nd

Gathering pace now... May 2nd

Mayweather is still mentioning random blood and urine tests, so I won't read too much into his 'willingness' to make this fight happen

walshb wrote: »
    Mayweather is still mentioning random blood and urine tests, so I won't read too much into his 'willingness' to make this fight happen

When Lampley proposed the Pacquiao match-up to him after the Cotto fight, back in May 2012, that's what he immediately came out with as well. Even thought the blood testing issue was settled as long ago as 2011, that's what he brings up now too. It's a slogan, and nothing more. A weapon for Floyd in a PR battle he was getting absolutely murdered in.

It's quite sickening that this 'rivalry' has taken over boxing coverage yet again. Even worse that they can still sucker people into arguing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I think Khan will be praying to get into the ring with these 2. He will give them both some massive problems. Khans hand speed is absolutely devastating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I think Khan will be praying to get into the ring with these 2. He will give them both some massive problems. Khans hand speed is absolutely devastating.

He's pretty fast... but both of them at once!?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

Even thought the blood testing issue was settled as long ago as 2011

when you say settled, what was the agreement reached?

Gringo180 wrote: »

Khan stands there open while throwing 4 and 5 punch combos he will be hitting the deck in record time against Mayweather due to his excellent counter punching ability (though I do think he could trouble Mayweather at this stage) and if he tries to stand and trade with Pac he will also be KO'd imho.

His speed was incredible, but he is still leaving his chin open a hell of a lot. You won't get away with that against top level opposition

when you say settled, what was the agreement reached?

Manny submitted to all of the demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Manny submitted to all of the demands.

no he didn't, scared of needles he is, apart from tatoos

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

The drugs tests and demands and PED accusations are smoke and mirrors. Floyd just never really fancied Manny back in 2009/2010.

Advertisement