Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather v Canelo Alvarez September 14th

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Frank Gallagher pissed

Whats the capacity, I'd say they could have sold 80k for this. Probably something tiny!

Mind many of the touts swipe the tickets up so just like the Froch fight sold out real fast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 ejohnl

This' another great fight for Floyd, hope it'll be an exciting one just like when Manny Pacquiao was still at his prime fighting the big names in boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In case anyone doesn't know BoxNation have this fight. BoxNation for me is nothing but a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

walshb wrote: »
    In case anyone doesn't know BoxNation have this fight. BoxNation for me is nothing but a success.

Ye I hope they can maintain it. I wouldnt be too gone on some of there commentary though, I prefer HBO/Showtime - (not so much showtime :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

Don't talk too quick Washb, rumours going around that they might charge a ppv supplement to the monthly subscription....wouldn't surprise me if warren goes ahead with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Parlate

Of all the bad luck, my friends stag is on that weekend in Liverpool. What to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Apparently they'll be in HD for this fight, I won't mind giving a few quid extra for this if they request it from their subs.

anto77 wrote: »
    Don't talk too quick Washb, rumours going around that they might charge a ppv supplement to the monthly subscription....wouldn't surprise me if warren goes ahead with this.

That doesn't suprise me. It makes business sense, even if it annoys me. Fingers crossed it's not going to happen.

Parlate wrote: »
    Of all the bad luck, my friends stag is on that weekend in Liverpool. What to do?

I am flying home from holidays and arriving at 0130 hrs on the 15th. I will just make it for the fight, which should be on close to 0500 hrs on the 15th. I am delighted it's with BoxNation. It means I don't have to worry about getting it and booking it when I'm away. Just hope it's not PPV on BoxNation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Must serve the old doll notice that I'll be hosting one of my legendary cans-and-curry nights til 6am so she better jog on for the evening unless she wants to be kept awake for the night by loads of Irish builders.

I love Boxnation, best value ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Here is the press conference for anyone who wants it, worth it for the stare down alone!

Also, Canelo looks gigantic standing beside Mayweather, even his head is massive!

Gintonious wrote: »

Also, Canelo looks gigantic standing beside Mayweather, even his head is massive!

I don't see that. Bigger, but doesn't appear all that much from that clip.

Welcome to the big-time Saul.... Fully deserves it too.

Just hope he can push Floyd, I'm a massive fan of both but hope Alvarez can somehow overcome the brilliance of him.

Please god it's a cracker

Canelo has to ask more of Floyd than Guerrero did. Has to. That's all I am looking for. Canelo to go in there and try his ass off. Make Money earn that win. Is it confirmed @ 152 lbs?

Canelo has to ask more of Floyd than Guerrero did. Has to. That's all I am looking for. Canelo to go in there and try his ass off. Make Money earn that win. Is it confirmed @ 152 lbs?
    152lbs catch-weight confirmed pal

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Mayweather-Alvarez-kick-off-tour-in-Times-Square-4620229.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Speisekarte

I'm curious, has this fight changed anyone's opinions that Floyd avoids certain fighters such as Pacquoia because he is scared?

I'm curious, has this fight changed anyone's opinions that Floyd avoids certain fighters such as Pacquoia because he is scared?

Changed my view a little. I still think that in 2009/2010 that Floyd didn't really fancy the Pac fight.

I think he was correct to ask for Olympic style testing from Pacman.

This fight is a fight he can lose, but I think its a bit early for Alvarez in his career to fight the best.

Fair play to both of them for doing it - its a very dangerous fight for both of them equally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Speisekarte

Manc-Red wrote: »

I think he was correct to ask for Olympic style testing from Pacman.

This fight is a fight he can lose, but I think its a bit early for Alvarez in his career to fight the best.

Fair play to both of them for doing it - its a very dangerous fight for both of them equally.

Well physically speaking, the only fighter this is dangerous for is Mayweather. I just can't see Mayweather being able to really hurt Alvarez, his neck is like a tree trunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Its not really a dangerous fight for Canelo as long as he puts up a decent show defeat people will just say he has lost to a legend and one of the ATG fighters, he will still be seen as the future for boxing, and he makes himself a massive payday, if he wins well then he becomes a total superstar, non boxing fans all over the world will know him as the guy who took Floyds 0 and Floyd would want a rematch and Canelo gets even more money as i see it Canelo has everything to gain and not much to loose, Floyd on the other hand is putting his 0 on the line against his toughest test since Oscar, if he looses his future ppv's would be hit and he could no longer give the same trash talk of 44 have tried ect it will dent his legacy if he looses to Canelo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Well physically speaking, the only fighter this is dangerous for is Mayweather. I just can't see Mayweather being able to really hurt Alvarez, his neck is like a tree trunk.

Mayweather has more power than some people give him credit for. It isn't one-punch-KO power but his shots have plenty of snap. As we saw in the Guerrero fight he still has blistering hand speed and his right hand is extremely accurate. The only thing is that he fights very cautiously therefore we don't see as many KOs as he may be capable of getting if he took more risks.

If you're eating bunches of Floyd's right hand you'll know you've been in a scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

Floyd will adapt (as he has done for 17 years) and comprehensively out box, counter punch and out manoeuvre Alvarez.

Canelo, is a future superstar, but at 22 he needs to take it easy, look at khan, rush, rush, rush, built up by everyone who knew nothing about boxing and came crashing down as soon as he fought someone who wasn't terrified of "the next big thing"!!!

Gorman700 wrote: »
    Floyd will adapt (as he has done for 17 years) and comprehensively out box, counter punch and out manoeuvre Alvarez.

Canelo, is a future superstar, but at 22 he needs to take it easy, look at khan, rush, rush, rush, built up by everyone who knew nothing about boxing and came crashing down as soon as he fought someone who wasn't terrified of "the next big thing"!!!

Canelo is a very experienced 22 year old. He's an 'old' 22 year old. Also, he is the best on earth at 154 lbs. Not sure why he has to take it easy?

Soon he will be moving up, and then he will be facing even stiffer tests against men who hit a deal heavier than an average sized WW Mayweather. I know it's not all about power. Mayweather has advantages in this fight, but so does Canelo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Gorman700 wrote: »

I agree about the part in bold, Mayweather will out box Canelo relatively easily and win this on points in what will be a boring enough fight, IMO he'll box a really cautious, defensive fight and take it on points.

However, I don't think Canelo can be compared to Khan, Canelo is the real deal IMO while Khan is a total spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

I agree about the part in bold, Mayweather will out box Canelo relatively easily and win this on points in what will be a boring enough fight, IMO he'll box a really cautious, defensive fight and take it on points.

However, I don't think Canelo can be compared to Khan, Canelo is the real deal IMO while Khan is a total spoofer.

My reference to Khan was simply about a fighter being built up too young. Like Khan has been on the scene for a hundred years and he's 25/26! My point is that the longevity of a boxers career means nothing these days. And keeping the 0 is paramount. So many boxers learn more from a loss or two than some wins.

My whole thing about Canelo Alvarez is he has 40 odd fights now at 22, fought decent opposition, the a couple of over the hill guys/ fringe contenders, controversial decision over Austin Trout and now rushed in (in my opinion) to fight pretty boy floyd. I feel De la Hoya and golden boy are moving too fast, too soon. He's at this level (unjustifiably) at this age, where is he going to be at 35 (Floyds age). I'll tell you, washed up, finished because he was Golden boys puppet. I really like Alvarez and would just like to see him steadily moving up for another few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 ejohnl

Canelo should shut the mouth of Floyd!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Austin Trout is fighting Erislandy Lara on the undercard of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Austin Trout is fighting Erislandy Lara on the undercard of this.
    Good fight was hoping it would be Garcia v Lucas but this is a 50/ 50 fight Trout ran Canelo close, lost but on my card by 2 points, Lara has been probably the most underrated and overlooked fighter out there, he was disgracefully robbed vs Williams and as a top fighter in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Garcia v matthysse confirmed for the same card. Holy moly.

• Advertisement

Excellent addition. A main event in its own right.

Not sure why the bookies have Lara a favourite over Trout.

Advertisement