Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

buying 2nd hand advice

Options
  • 16-05-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

i am looking into buying a second hand L96 (or sniper rifle that is similar) around what price range would i be looking at and what do you look out for when buying a 2nd hand sniper rifle? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭cobra 08

Well price range would depend on what condition it's in also what brand it is ie. You would expect to pay much more for a TM one than a wells.
    I suggest you research the price of them new and decide yourself what you consider too be a good price for whichever one you choose.

Things to lookout for would basically be to make sure it works!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Rough guestimate for second hand sales is around the 3/4 of the new price mark maximum.... Under that, varying for condition, (extras can push price beyond new unit price for gun alone, but consider what you're getting), usage, upgrades, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dan fnuts

cool thank you. do you think it would be easy enough to find a working L96 for €90 or under? my m8 was suggesting ordering one online but whats the odds of a large rifle making it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Grand if below the Irish legal limit, the personal import ban is not being enforced yet.
    Just be sure to add another 25% on top of the retail price if buying from abroad (VAT+ An Post ransom :()

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dan fnuts

cool. know any good sites that post to ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dan fnuts wrote: »
    cool thank you. do you think it would be easy enough to find a working L96 for €90 or under? my m8 was suggesting ordering one online but whats the odds of a large rifle making it over?

honestly...a €90 rifle is gonna be worth nothing and basically require a couple of hundred doing it up..
    Even the TM L96 I have still requires a spring upgrade and a tightbore barrel to make it playable.
    Considering they're about €360 new plus you still require a scope etc then you're talking another €150 or so.
    Saying that ...if you're willing to splash the cash..around the €250 mark you can pick up some nicely upgraded L96s here on boards..
    I remember one on here for around that price..with some nice upgrades and very silenced...
    but for €90...you're only wasting your time unless you plan to spend another few bob on it

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Harveey

If your buying 2nd hand, if you know someone who know's about airsoft rifles, get them to check it out before you purchase. I made that mistake when I first started, bought a cheap gun. Externally it looked good, internally, was fcuked!!! Just be cautious, as people already said, a rifle for 90 euro, not much to expect on performance side, your better off spending the full amount at least then you wont have to worry about it being in a bad condition or not working :)

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    honestly...a €90 rifle is gonna be worth nothing and basically require a couple of hundred doing it up..
    Even the TM L96 I have still requires a spring upgrade and a tightbore barrel to make it playable.
    Considering they're about €360 new plus you still require a scope etc then you're talking another €150 or so.
    Saying that ...if you're willing to splash the cash..around the €250 mark you can pick up some nicely upgraded L96s here on boards..
    I remember one on here for around that price..with some nice upgrades and very silenced...
    but for €90...you're only wasting your time unless you plan to spend another few bob on it
    Completely disagree.
    if you set your hop right, and zero correctly, Even the likes of the warrior 96 are pretty snazzy out of the box. The tm96 with vsr barrel stuffs, is actually a great shooter. it was DESIGNED to fire at this fps bracket, and it does it well.
    upgrade the fps? not really, 290 is actually pretty fine. You'd be suprised what it can do stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CaptainCook

Firekitten wrote: »
    Completely disagree.
    if you set your hop right, and zero correctly, Even the likes of the warrior 96 are pretty snazzy out of the box. The tm96 with vsr barrel stuffs, is actually a great shooter. it was DESIGNED to fire at this fps bracket, and it does it well.
    upgrade the fps? not really, 290 is actually pretty fine. You'd be suprised what it can do stock.

mine shoots at 307 fps consistently and its a year old, use it to plink mostly shoot coins at the bottom of garden. its incredibly accurate and consistent, i saw a pinoy airsoft review of it and the guy used a micrometer and it showed the internal barrel to be 6.04mm, i don't have such a device so cant comment, scarecrow what was diameter of barrel you removed from version, be very interested if you know. I was thinking about upgrading mine just with the laylax trigger set but its pretty dear, and i am about to embark on a vector arms ak-74u modernized build, so wouldn;t get around to this for a while.

Wouldnt bother with a laylax trigger set for a 1j rifle to be honest folks. Its great for the pressure of a 500fps spring, but in Ireland, its just overkill. Focus on getting the rest good first before you 'splash out' on one. barrel, then hopup rubber, then unit, then cylinder parts (try to go for all same brand cylinder parts and seers, to get the best tollerances)

• Advertisement
Advertisement