Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Jahon Qurbonov also known as Dzhakhon Kurbanov beat regining World champion Abbos Atoev 11:3 in the LH division. Out boxed Atoev and hopefully will bring home some bacon for me but he's in the hard side of the draw as opposed to our Kenneth!

Did you see the Russian vs Ukrainian Featherweight? The Russian {Albert Selimov or something} is the reigning European and World Champ but the Ukrainian suckered him into a close range fight and outworked him, then ran for the last round. He showboated like a good thing.

He's the favourite now for a Gold, Chinese will probably rob him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Did you see the Russian vs Ukrainian Featherweight? The Russian {Albert Selimov or something} is the reigning European and World Champ but the Ukrainian suckered him into a close range fight and outworked him, then ran for the last round. He showboated like a good thing.

He's the favourite now for a Gold, Chinese will probably rob him too.

caught about a minute and a half of it as I passed through reception - will watch all the fights tonight - thank foook for the BBC and the red button service - do ye get that in Ireland or is it only over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

caught about a minute and a half of it as I passed through reception - will watch all the fights tonight - thank foook for the BBC and the red button service - do ye get that in Ireland or is it only over here?

We ahave it too. Also RTE show all the boxing on the internet (without commentary too :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Dodge wrote: »
    We ahave it too. Also RTE show all the boxing on the internet (without commentary too :) )

good I am glad yer not missin out.

I reckon once the prelims are over then the quality of fights should really improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jahon Qurbonov also known as Dzhakhon Kurbanov beat regining World champion Abbos Atoev 11:3 in the LH division. Out boxed Atoev and hopefully will bring home some bacon for me but he's in the hard side of the draw as opposed to our Kenneth!

Saw that bout and wasn't overly impressed at all with Atoev

Hero, you are not reading my posts. I said I can understand the home nation exerting an influence because it is the home nation, but you are implying that actual collusion is taking place. This, I believe, is nonsense

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Some more Irish times confirmed. Times are Irish, not local Beijing times

Thursday
    09.15 Egan v Bahram Muzaffer (Turkey)
    13.00 Joyce v Felix Diaz (Dominican Republic)

Saturday
    08.45 Sutherland v Nabil Kassel (Algeria)
    12.00 Barnes v Jose Luis Meza (Ecuador)

Are they the next fights?.... none before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nevin is on tomorrow in the 54 kg division at about 2pm Irish time. His session begins at 12 Irish time; but he is close to the end of the session, so 2 pm is about right.

See link below for schedule on all events in Olympics

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/BX.shtml

His listed time is exactly 14.30 Irish time, or 21:30 China time

Nah...red button and the BBC all the way down here too. Thank God is right!!! Its actually an exceptionally good service. One draw back is you never quite know who is due up next but I watch it anyways cos I would watch two dogs fight.:pac:

walshb wrote: »
    Nevin is on tomorrow in the 54 kg division at about 2pm Irish time. His session begins at 12 Irish time; but he is close to the end of the session, so 2 pm is about right.

See link below for schedule on all events in Olympics

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/BX.shtml

His listed time is exactly 14.30 Irish time, or 21:30 China time

Nice one- My guess is that the BBC will have him on at that time- I'll just record the whole session if I am not around.

Are they the next fights?.... none before that?

Sorry, they were the next times to be confirmed. I posted earlier with the ones already confirmed

Nevin is due to fight at 2.15pm (Irish time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What a class performance by the Russian fighter just now. A perfect demonstration of how to hit and not be hit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭baldbear

hows John Joe Nevin getting on anyone, please??????

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

as usual the session has over run. not in the ring yet but he's next up

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Bit of pressure on JJN after the other lads won already, this could be a close fight. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

entering ring now live on rte.ie for anybody who can get a sneaky peak in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

0-0 after round 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

The Jimmy 'memory man' Mcgee keeps calling him John Joe Joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

3-2 nevin after 2 rounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

messy affair, glad the ref took points of the algerian as well as it was 6 of one half a dozen of the other

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

dbnavan wrote: »
    The Jimmy 'memory man' Mcgee keeps calling him John Joe Joyce

9-4 nevin final score. he could make a great pro yet with defence like that. fight was perfect but for magee. to be honest i'm a big fan, and find that sad to see. i blogged about it recently, would love for him to hang up the mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Brilliant stuff in the last round from Nevin, eases to a 9-4 victory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done John Jo, did the musch better work in a scrappy affair.
    Thanks for the link Rasco. Fortunately I didn't have to listen to magee

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

pox, electrician in house cut off everything! only got the last 1 min!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Not the best of boxing but well done lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭dbrady01

cant watch rte.ie in work so thanks for the updates lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

well done john joe. keep it up.

Was that ref ever fussy. Nevin did very well. He's slippery like eel. As much as yer man tried to pin him down in the last round he couldn't.

Nevin will have to up it hugely to get near the Mongolian in the next round

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Very good win by JJN, Mongolian looks good, but will not Hit Nevin as easily as he did the Mexican.

• Advertisement

He won't beat the Mongolian. However, he deserves praise for winning this fight and being our third boxer to progress into the next round.

Advertisement