Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Down South wrote: »
    I know its different I already use Skydrive option. I also use we7 and nokia music. Just thought it would be good to have Xbox Music integrated and doing it all, particularly for purchasing music.

I'm using a Lumia 800

Well we never know. They just might release an app to do that. If you're using a Nokia there's not much to worry about. Most of the features that you won't get with Windows Phone 8 will be released in form of an app by Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Finger crossed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well we never know. They just might release an app to do that. If you're using a Nokia there's not much to worry about. Most of the features that you won't get with Windows Phone 8 will be released in form of an app by Nokia.
    I don't think there's much chance of Xbox Music coming to WP7. Microsoft will have the service locked down extremely tight and I can't see them letting Nokia do an app for it.

I saw a post somewhere claiming that WP8 phones will have TPM chips built in (which is why current phones can't run it), I'd guess Xbox Music will rely on that, its possibly a condition of the rights holders, or something MS are using to sell the service to them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's just a rebrand of the Zune Pass, all it will need is enabling the music marketplace on the phone. I've forced the Zune client to always show the music marketplace on my PC.

In the last couple of days music has started popping into the store for Ireland.

Seems as Navigon is on sale again. Grab it now if your interested in good satellite navigation.

http://m.wpcentral.com/navigon-gets-updated-celebrates-going-sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Xbox Music will work on Windows Phone 7 and Windows 7 devices through Zune.

Xbox Music is ostensibly just a new name for the service. Zune has a lot of bad karma, Xbox has a lot of good karma.

The bigger question is whether or not the Xbox Music platform will be opened up to include more regions, ie, Ireland.

DjFlin wrote: »
    Xbox Music will work on Windows Phone 7 and Windows 7 devices through Zune.
    As far as I can tell they won't support all of the features anyway, such as free (ad supported) streaming.

stevenmu wrote: »
    As far as I can tell they won't support all of the features anyway, such as free (ad supported) streaming.

Yeah, forgot to mention that. The free streaming isn't available on Xbox either. Ironically. Its only for Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone 8

Oh, thought it would be on Xbox. I suppose it's all academic anyway until they open it up to more regions like you said.

http://m.wpcentral.com/xbox-companion-updated-now-xbox-smartglass

Looks like windows phone users are the first to get Xbox Smart Glass

Gogogo and get it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭PaulieC

http://m.wpcentral.com/xbox-companion-updated-now-xbox-smartglass

Looks like windows phone users are the first to get Xbox Smart Glass

Gogogo and get it :)

Using it last night, pretty funky. Any idea why the browser and keyboard are inaccessible ?

Just a quick update.

Last week I went through the process of migrating my Microsoft Account from Ireland to the USA.

The process has begun now, and Microsoft say it may take up to 6 weeks to finish, though it may be a lot sooner (Hopefully before Halo 4 arrives).

I'm still able to use my Hotmail, but Xbox Live is off limits.

So far so good. :D

DjFlin wrote: »
    Just a quick update.

Last week I went through the process of migrating my Microsoft Account from Ireland to the USA.

The process has begun now, and Microsoft say it may take up to 6 weeks to finish, though it may be a lot sooner (Hopefully before Halo 4 arrives).

I'm still able to use my Hotmail, but Xbox Live is off limits.

So far so good. :D

Ok. Might move my mums account to Ireland so. I set up her account as a UK one, but seeing as Xbox Music is coming here there's no need for Zune anymore

Windows Phone 7.8 features possibly leaked. It looks like it will just be the new start screen, Xbox Music and the Rooms feature. And, it should be available "soon".

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-8-features-revealed-coming-soon/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

stevenmu wrote: »
    Windows Phone 7.8 features possibly leaked. It looks like it will just be the new start screen, Xbox Music and the Rooms feature. And, it should be available "soon".

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-8-features-revealed-coming-soon/

It says "Among the features" and soon will most likely be after christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Is there any app available which gives you a live tile for internet sharing? I have the network dashboard app which gives me live tiles for WiFi, data and Bluetooth but would really like a tile for switching on and off tethering without having to go into settings.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Is there any app available which gives you a live tile for internet sharing? I have the network dashboard app which gives me live tiles for WiFi, data and Bluetooth but would really like a tile for switching on and off tethering without having to go into settings.

Think there was one, but its not in the marketplace for whatever reason. Its on XDA, so you would need to sideload it if you have a developers unlocked phone.

It had 100's of different shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Thanks, pity but I don't have the phone dev unlocked, don't think I'll bother at this stage either.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Thanks, pity but I don't have the phone dev unlocked, don't think I'll bother at this stage either.

MS had some deal on where you buy the dev licence for the full price and they will refund you the fee a month or two later making the years licence cost you 8 euro which is pretty decent. If your a student or know one you can get one years trial for free.

It will let you mess around with apps outside the marketplace if your into that

I only just stumbled across the official RTE News app. I think its only just out but its pretty good, nice to have at last :-)

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/rt%C3%A9-news-now/e49a16bd-cbbf-4d5c-afee-dcb9430a8d74

• Advertisement

According to the slide, Windows Phone 7.8 is supposed to bring the following new features to existing phones:
    • Different sized Live Tiles
    • Bing wallpapers on the lock screen
    • New feature to prevent accidental touches to the screen
    • Choice of 20 accent colors
    • Internet Explorer security upgrades
    • Ability to convert MP3 as ringtones
    In addition, Nokia Lumia devices will also receive the following new features:
    • Sharing of media via Bluetooth
    • Ringtone creation app
    • Upgraded contacts transfer app
    • Upgraded contacts sharing app

Some of the new features that are coming in 7.8 update.
    Nokia is training its sales staff to market Windows Phone 7.8 as “having the same user interface and experience as Windows Phone 8”, and existing Lumia products will continue to receive updates from Nokia.
    In terms of availability, WPCentral reported that the official Windows Phone Brazil Twitter account recently posted that the Windows Phone 7.8 update will be coming in Q1 2013:

Nokia Italy have also said 7.8 will get Rooms as well. So the list is not final, we won't here anything official till after Christmas anyway. They want to sell as many as they can before then. Don't be surprised if it gets delayed...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sharing of media over Bluetooth? At last!

I think there could be possibilites of more features. I think they did a slightly sneaky one and devoted all the resources to WP8, even execs at Microsoft admitted that they ran out of time with WP8 as they also wanted to add a notification centre. So I think they ran out of time to update WP7 handsets too. Its either stupid hope but Id expect to see maybe more updates after 7.8 maybe?

I mean if they decided that their going to forget about WP7 owners and give them a crappy update they would have said so. Instead their keeping quiet and working on what can actually be delivered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Anyone know of any apps similar to cabbage on the windows phone market that works with meteor? IM having trouble with SendU and Webtexter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I'm on the lookout for a Christmas present for my father (late 60's) and I know he would like a touchscreen phone but just trying to find a good quality and easy to use phone.

I'm just after noticing that the Nokia Lumia 800 is going for fairly cheap these days but I have no expierience with the Windows Phone OS having had iPhone or Android phones overs the years.

Whats the Windows Phone OS like as a user expierince compared to say iOS which I think is very user friendly (unlike imo an android)?

Whats the Windows Phone OS like as a user expierince compared to say iOS which I think is very user friendly (unlike imo an android)?

Very simple and user friendly. It's similar to iOS in the sense that it lets you do very little outside of the norm like Android does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Reading up about it, I'm getting indifferent reports but the later updates (and the impending large update) seems to have sorted a lot of the issues out.

Whats the battery life like on the Lumia 800? People are saying it requires a daily charge while others are saying that the updates have improved it. I'd say it would be moderate to low use no games/streaming, just some wifi/data browsing and general phone use (calls/messaging).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So, my lg optimus 7 has been mysteriously rebooting itself, and once it reboots it will just hang on the LG screen indefinitely. The only way that seemed to get it back, was to power it off, and leave it off over night/for a number of hours. After some investigation, I've finally realised that it's actually overheating, and dying as a result :(.

I've had it for a year and a half ish, and it owes me nothing at this stage, but damn it, it's a nice piece of kit, and for the first time in the last 10 years I feel I don't want to upgrade as it does everything I need it to do...but it's becoming a pain to live with at this stage, so the end is near. :(

• Advertisement

Reading up about it, I'm getting indifferent reports but the later updates (and the impending large update) seems to have sorted a lot of the issues out.

Whats the battery life like on the Lumia 800? People are saying it requires a daily charge while others are saying that the updates have improved it. I'd say it would be moderate to low use no games/streaming, just some wifi/data browsing and general phone use (calls/messaging).

For the price, it's a hell of a bargain. I have the white one (now ony 149 in meteor on payg, I paid almost that about 6 months ago on an 18 month contract) and it really is a beautiful piece of kit, definitely nicer than any Android handset and easily the equal of the iphone in design terms (IMO). My usage would be pretty similar to what you describe and I usually have 1/3 - 1/2 battery left at the end of the day (all updates installed). I am looking forward to getting the 7.8 update so I can have a wee bit of W8 while waiting for the 920 to get to these shores

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement