Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History & Geography Subbing

• 22-07-2020 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've just returned to Ireland after 16 years international (8 yrs teaching in London & 8 years international school teaching in Asia)
    I've return to take up a masters degree and I'm hoping to do some subbing work to keep my savings account topped up while I'm here.
    I'm based in Cork and my subject areas are History and Geography (by degree) and Business Management (by experience and curricular certification)

Can any good soul advise me on just how easy or difficult it is to secure subbing gigs? I'm more interested in day to day rather than long term subbing contracts.

Also, what is the best way to go about getting my information to school? Is there agencies I can sign up to etc? Direct drop my cv?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Stay safe and mask up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

lbplhs79 wrote: »
    I've just returned to Ireland after 16 years international (8 yrs teaching in London & 8 years international school teaching in Asia)
    I've return to take up a masters degree and I'm hoping to do some subbing work to keep my savings account topped up while I'm here.
    I'm based in Cork and my subject areas are History and Geography (by degree) and Business Management (by experience and curricular certification)

Can any good soul advise me on just how easy or difficult it is to secure subbing gigs? I'm more interested in day to day rather than long term subbing contracts.

Also, what is the best way to go about getting my information to school? Is there agencies I can sign up to etc? Direct drop my cv?

Stay safe and mask up.

Call in to all the schools in your area. A personal introduction is always best if possible.

If you are able to control a class you will be given sub work in all subjects regardless of your subjects if you are just covering day to day absences. You won't be expected to teach physics etc, but essentially babysit the class and hand out work left for them.
    If schools do open this year there will be loads of this work as many teachers will need to take a day off at short notice to get tested if they or someone in their household has covid symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

lbplhs79 wrote: »

Stay safe and mask up.

First off, you have to be registered with the Teaching Council in order to be paid from state funds. If you have teaching qualifications route 1 (primary) route 2 (post primary) or route 3 (further education). You can register for route 3 until you address shortfalls - you get three years.

There probably will be a demand for subs this year so you may be in luck. There is a jobseekers app on educationposts that schools use when recruiting subs. You could also hand deliver to schools you would like to work in - this may not be an option this year, so maybe an email to the principal.

Advertisement