Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Jizique

Treppen wrote: »
    I think they meant Covid could kill you.

No, they should have written it then; and when this was pointed out, they didn’t correct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Jizique

juneg wrote: »
    Thank you. Its actually a classic bullying line to be told if you don't like it quit your job or go elsewhere.

You have a very wide definition of bullying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Jizique wrote: »
    You have a very wide definition of bullying

Maybe you should broaden your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

s1ippy wrote: »
    I can't believe there are actually luddites out there who are annoyed with teachers, they really must be dense individuals to direct their anger that way. .

I completely agree s1ippy but such individuals are out there in droves.

Nature abhors a vacuum. There is a baser instinct in human nature that needs a hate group to bash. All down through the ages some group of unfortunates have been the target.

Thankfully society has evolved enormously and hate is no longer tolerated. But the instinct is still there. And more socially acceptable to hate groups who are not unfortunate, who are somehow perceived as privileged and don't dare remove that perception!

Teachers and politicians are pretty much the new hate targets. That's why arguing with the drove of ignorant people who have that bias and that hate is a total waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

reminder to all that this forum and all threads therein are for the discussion of teaching and learning. There can also be discussion about pay and conditions if it is constructive. This is not a forum for non education staff to moan about teachers pay or conditions, that's After Hours, plenty over there who love that stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

juneg wrote: »
    Thank you. Its actually a classic bullying line to be told if you don't like it quit your job or go elsewhere.

I had to laugh out loud at this.

I’ve been told this by many of the teachers on this forum when I had the audacity to say that some teachers have been doing very little work since 12 March!!

We should all be using the next few weeks to update our IT and blended learning skills instead of moaning that we have no skills and training.

There are plenty of courses and tutorials available for free.

No excuse not to. This will be the future of teaching.

We should all be using the next few weeks to update our IT and blended learning skills instead of moaning that we have no skills and training.

Why should we do that? As in do it over the next few weeks? Are we not entitled to any down time in your opinion?

acequion wrote: »
    Why should we do that? As in do it over the next few weeks? Are we not entitled to any down time in your opinion?

Of course we are entitled to downtime but do you not think we have a professional responsibility to up skill and get ready for this new normal?

Or would you rather have 10 more weeks downtime and not be ready in case there is blended learning come September?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most of my teaching colleagues have “ upskilled ” - how else would we have been engaging with our students otherwise since closure ? I find your comment rather patronizing.

• Advertisement

Most of my teaching colleagues have “ upskilled ” - how else would we have been engaging with our students otherwise since closure ? I find your comment rather patronizing.

There are teachers on this very thread saying they have poor IT skills.

What do you think they should do?

I've already worked two weeks into my normal holiday time. I also worked an average 10 hour days,with maybe 6 thrown in on a Saturday after schools closed on 12th March,plus worked during Easter to upskill.

So yes I will now take the downtime that is part of the normal terms and conditions of my job or is "professional responsibility" now working during holidays?

I expect my employer, like all employers, to provide the necessary training during work time. Just as I expect safety on the job.

Sorry if that doesn't suit your obvious agenda with this line. And I won't be drawn into an off topic argument on teacher holidays with somebody who I'm not convinced is really a teacher, for the enjoyment of a certain cohort of poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Why the hysteria?

Just see how other countries get on( many will be open in July and August abroad) and then go with the best strategy.

acequion wrote: »
    I've already worked two weeks into my normal holiday time. I also worked an average 10 hour days,with maybe 6 thrown in on a Saturday after schools closed on 12th March,plus worked during Easter to upskill.

So yes I will now take the downtime that is part of the normal terms and conditions of my job or is "professional responsibility" now working during holidays?

I expect my employer, like all employers, to provide the necessary training during work time. Just as I expect safety on the job.

Sorry if that doesn't suit your obvious agenda with this line. And I won't be drawn into an off topic argument on teacher holidays with somebody who I'm not convinced is really a teacher, for the enjoyment of a certain cohort of poster.

That’s fair enough and I respect that. Although I don’t fully agree.

No need for the less than subtle digs though ... we are all in this together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

There are teachers on this very thread saying they have poor IT skills.

What do you think they should do?

Poor IT skills, in 2020? For someone with a 3rd level degree.

Give me a break.

And, Microsoft teams and Google classroom etc are fairly intuitive, and even the so called dinosaurs in our school had them mastered in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I had to laugh out loud at this.

I’ve been told this by many of the teachers on this forum when I had the audacity to say that some teachers have been doing very little work since 12 March!!

No, you claimed no one in your school was doing any work except you of course, you wouldn't say if you were using google classroom or teams because you deemed it personal information that could identify you and then you played the gender card and called a regular poster creepy for challenging your bullsh*t.

But it's important not to let facts get in the way of a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah... No. Its my downtime. Family first.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

No, you claimed no one in your school was doing any work except you of course, you wouldn't say if you were using google classroom or teams because you deemed it personal information that could identify you and then you played the gender card and called a regular poster creepy for challenging your bullsh*t.

But it's important not to let facts get in the way of a good story.

The FACT is that a significant number of teachers have done very little since 12 March. They have admitted it themselves on other threads. You know that very well but I can provide links if you’d like?

But of course this doesn’t suit the narrative that all teachers have been working hard since March so you attack me.

And yes, it is ridiculous and shameful that people - most with degrees and post grad qualifications - don’t know how to work fairly simple IT systems. And worse again that many are refusing to do anything about this themselves before back to work in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Yeah... No. Its my downtime. Family first.

What have you been doing the last few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What have you been doing the last few months?

Teaching, up skilling, conference calls, raising my owns kids at the same time, correcting tests, keeping to my timetable as best I could. I did my hours, I did my job, I was working late in the evening and earlier in the morning to get the digital needs together.

I've done enough. I will not be doing any more. Holiday time.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭amacca

The FACT is that a significant number of teachers have done very little since 12 March. They have admitted it themselves on other threads. You know that very well but I can provide links if you’d like?

But of course this doesn’t suit the narrative that all teachers have been working hard since March so you attack me.

And yes, it is ridiculous and shameful that people - most with degrees and post grad qualifications - don’t know how to work fairly simple IT systems. And worse again that many are refusing to do anything about this themselves before back to work in September.

Way to dodge .... masterful almost

Define significant .... you seem to be taking the word of unverified posters on s forum as statistically? Significant

It's similar to lending any credence to your posts tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

What courses would you recommend teachinggal? Which system do you think works best?

Our staff have all become very proficient in online education between March and May. I expect management to ask us to all use the same system in September though, so there will be more learning needed then for some of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

This person should be banned. Not a teacher..just a parent with an axe to grind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Rainbow trout was not attacking you. He was providing a balanced look at that thread where a mod asked you not to be throwing out accusations of bullying and not to post again.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071593&page=36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

Bobtheman wrote: »
    This person should be banned. Not a teacher..just a parent with an axe to grind

Banned because you don't like what they're saying? Grow up. And people don't have to be teachers to have an opinion about them. There's more perspectives in this world than just your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What courses would you recommend teachinggal? Which system do you think works best?

Our staff have all become very proficient in online education between March and May. I expect management to ask us to all use the same system in September though, so there will be more learning needed then for some of us.

One email a week from my kids teacher.
    I'd be embarrassed.

I am just saying that *in my experience* that a lot of teachers have done very little since 12 March.

This is backed up by teachers themselves in other threads. It is also my experience in my school.

Anyone who wishes can disagree, but the FACTS (from other teachers themselves and not just me) would say that I’m correct.

As mentioned, I am happy to provide links to these other teachers if anyone doubts me.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'd be embarrassed.

This is what my local primary school did. Teaches uncontactable otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'd be embarrassed.

That does not represent all teachers. I got the same from one of my kids teachers and bollicked the school over it because it is unacceptable. I got more interaction from the learning support teacher than the class teacher.

I am doing a min of 10 hours a day between correcting, planning, writing up worksheets, finding appropriate videos to reinforce the concept I am teaching, online meetings, ringing parents, checking on kids, chasing kids who delete the work etc.

• Advertisement

I’m on my mobile now but I’ll get back to you when I’m at my computer later.

Advertisement